+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone have a picture of the old CAB building?

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Does anyone have a picture of the old CAB building?

I see it vividly in my mind...and was walking to a Management 495 class there when I got news of the Challenger explosion. The CAB Building wrapped around the curve that transitioned Railroad Av to College St. The main entrance to the CAB was facing Wesley Foundation, secondary entrance was behind Prescott Library between the library and the Old Main columns. There was an auditorium on the Keeny Circle end of the CAB "L" --- I don't have any pics of it though.

Champ bleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to beholdbleudog is a splendid one to behold bleudog's Avatar

The floor plan can be downloaded here: http://www.ltadm.latech.edu/facilities/cab.htm

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

I remember the CAB had no name on the building until 2000.

CAB picture (front)

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

College of Business (current)

College of Business Annex expansion (rendering)
    Bringing back the "L" shape layout and glass atrium

Floor Plans

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious_dog View Post
    The CAB wasn't new when I started in '73. Pretty sure it was about 10 years old as Houston Techsan said. I was sitting in the lecture hall one day when there was a "pop" and a crack appeared on the east wall. Dr Townsend (or maybe it was Dr Shaver) theorized that since the building hadn't collapsed we were probably safe to finish the class. I never understood why, when they had to replace the HVAC system, they put it out front instead of behind the building. Didn't help the appearance any.

The building might not have been much, but the people inside were excellent.
    That thing was falling apart from the day of dedication. Some very shady dealings on the construction came back to bite everyone involved rather quickly.

The renovation in the early 80's was an attempt to salvage it; bought more time, but it should have been demolished many years ago.

Buildings in the F. Jay Taylor era were not built to last it seems. When was GTM built?

Puppy Dear Gas Man, is an unknown

1,000 gold stars for bleudog! Maybe it wasn't so bad, but the inside sure seems crusty in the early 2000's.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    Buildings in the F. Jay Taylor era were not built to last it seems. When was GTM built?
    GTM (we just called it Madison) opened fall of 1967. Niethken also (maybe Niethken was fall of 1968) How are they holding up? Bookstore addition with bowling alley in basement, and enlargement of the student center was done in 67-68. Wilson Cafeteria opened in Fall of 1966 and I think that's now F.Jay Taylor Visual Arts Center. Needless to say there was a lot of construction even around the quad in those years. They've now torn down Kidd, Carruthers, Nielson and CAB. They tore down the old English Building and Chemistry (?) building while I was there. And then there was the class room building where the Tower is now.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    That thing was falling apart from the day of dedication. Some very shady dealings on the construction came back to bite everyone involved rather quickly.

The renovation in the early 80's was an attempt to salvage it; bought more time, but it should have been demolished many years ago.
    I was wondering whether I was the only one who thought this! Didn't the "face" of it literally fall off a few years ago? I was thinking that was the last straw.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    I was wondering whether I was the only one who thought this! Didn't the "face" of it literally fall off a few years ago? I was thinking that was the last straw.
    Students walked into the big conference room through a giant crack in the exterior wall for quite a while... and I do seem to remember a large pile of bricks later when another to the exterior walls fell off.

I am pretty sure that the contractor ran into some difficulties not long after completion of GTM.

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Students walked into the big conference room through a giant crack in the exterior wall for quite a while... and I do seem to remember a large pile of bricks later when another to the exterior walls fell off.

I am pretty sure that the contractor ran into some difficulties not long after completion of GTM.
    "That is because there is a stream running under the old CAB building"

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    Didn't the "face" of it literally fall off a few years ago? I was thinking that was the last straw.
    Happened sometime around 2011 I think.

Champ RunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to beholdRunwayDawg55 is a splendid one to behold RunwayDawg55's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    Happened sometime around 2011 I think.
    It was 09-10 timeframe. I had a class in the room that the wall fell down in, although our class wasn't in session the moment the "wall fell". I'm not sure exactly what happened, but we got information that our class had changed from that room to a completely different building. I didn't think much of it but the next time I went by there there was a huge pile of bricks laying on the ground outside the building. And it was on the second floor too, so if the bricks did fall its a wonder somebody didn't get hurt.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    GTM (we just called it Madison) opened fall of 1967. Niethken also (maybe Niethken was fall of 1968) How are they holding up? Bookstore addition with bowling alley in basement, and enlargement of the student center was done in 67-68. Wilson Cafeteria opened in Fall of 1966 and I think that's now F.Jay Taylor Visual Arts Center. Needless to say there was a lot of construction even around the quad in those years. They've now torn down Kidd, Carruthers, Nielson and CAB. They tore down the old English Building and Chemistry (?) building while I was there. And then there was the class room building where the Tower is now.
    That "classroom" building where the Tower is now was the old A. E. Phillips school. Not good being in that building in a classroom that had windows looking straight out at GTM under construction.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RealityCheck View Post
    That "classroom" building where the Tower is now was the old A. E. Phillips school. Not good being in that building in a classroom that had windows looking straight out at GTM under construction.
    Actually I was thinking of old Lomax Hall (I believe there is now a Lomax on South Campus) which stood right next to the library. I had both of my economics classes there. The A.E Phillips school was a little further on - aout where GTM parking lot is or even the Tower parking. Next building was an old dorm, Thatcher Hall, I believe. I remember one spring part of the roof of old Lomax collapsed because the rain couldn't get off fast enough.

+ Reply to Thread