+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mulkey donates back

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Re: Mulkey

My initial thought regarding Mulkey's decision was half flippant: "guilt money... she's got Kalani Brown's commitment."

But maybe there's a bit of truth in that. I mean in the timing of the gift, not the original decision to make it. If Kim Mulkey begins signing La Tech's "legacy" players for Baylor, she must be terribly aware that it's because of relationships begun through and developed under her great mentor in Ruston.

I say "terribly" aware because of the unavoidable irony that if her continued coaching success at Baylor is Leon Barmore's living legacy, and includes daughters of his players, then ipso facto, his legacy in Ruston (beyond the banners and HOF inductees) will be relegated to the brick-and-mortar variety.

The other half of that irony is, should CTS prove extraordinarily successful, restoring LaTech to perennial glory, even guiding the Lady Techsters to another national championship... it will be regarded as Pat's legacy. No matter how much assistance, guidance and encouragement Leon provides to the new coach and staff, their successes (even with alumna Mickie DeMoss's assistance) will bear the name Summitt in the sports world's eyes. And from everything I've read about him, Leon Barmore would be nothing but thrilled for the program's success.

So maybe a helpful way to pose the question is: Should Leon Barmore's name reside over something memorial in nature, symbolic and high-profile, or something less impressive but substantive, contributing to the program's future success?

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

I would love too see the Techsters host a Barmore Classic tournament. Something similar to the old Dial Classics we used to host. With all of the former Techsters coaching teams these days, such a tournament could pull in quality opponents. I know that tournaments are usually named after those that have passed on; however, something along those lines would be nice

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Yep. I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can name a state-owned building after a living person. And then you have to go through a state approval process. That's why the biomedical engineering building will likely remain nameless until Reneau passes.
    It's Louisiana Revised Statutes 42:267.A which was passed in 2004 (Naming public buildings, etc., in honor of a living person prohibited; penalty):

Except as authorized or provided by law, no public building, public bridge, public park, public fish or game preserve, or public wildlife refuge* owned by the state or by any political subdivision of the state or by any institution receiving its support in whole or in part from the state shall be named in honor of any living person.
    There are a few exceptions to this law written in other portions of the Revised Statutes.

There is also Louisiana Revised Statutes 17:3351.G: (Powers and Duties of Management Boards)

Each board [higher education board, like the UL System Board, LSU Board, etc.] may name buildings at institutions under its supervision and management in honor of living persons pursuant to a policy adopted by the board applicable to such actions. Such policy may include criteria to be used for the naming of buildings in honor of living persons. If the policy requires a monetary donation as a condition of naming buildings in honor of living persons, the policy shall require that such donation be made to an alumni association or a foundation that raises private funds for the support of the institution as provided in R.S. 17:3390.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by TechAlum05 View Post
    There are a few exceptions to this law written in other portions of the Revised Statutes
    Outstandingly helpful post, TechAlum05! Typical of the many reasons (people) this is my favorite forum. Thank you.

If I may add, there's always the infamous Louisiana legislature "lexicon-shmexicon!" exception:
    "Sure gambling is state constitutionally prohibited, but this is gaming." :icon_wink:

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    Glad she is is donating and and we DEFINITELY need something named after Leon. My God, he is one of the most winning coaches in the history of the game - men or women. KM did her best to make it public and, somewhat shaming to the university. She could have easily gone to to Les and donated it stating that we need something.

And, no, a locker room is not good enough.
    I agree 100%. Great job by KMR but drama as usual. Leon needs a statue by the TAC or something comparable to his sacrifice and legacy at TECH for sure.
    Last edited by TYLERTECHSAS; 08-04-2014 at 12:12 AM.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlatech1994 View Post
    I would love too see the Techsters host a Barmore Classic tournament. Something similar to the old Dial Classics we used to host. With all of the former Techsters coaching teams these days, such a tournament could pull in quality opponents. I know that tournaments are usually named after those that have passed on; however, something along those lines would be nice
    Great idea to go along with a statue.

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    My initial thought regarding Mulkey's decision was half flippant: "guilt money... she's got Kalani Brown's commitment."

But maybe there's a bit of truth in that. I mean in the timing of the gift, not the original decision to make it. If Kim Mulkey begins signing La Tech's "legacy" players for Baylor, she must be terribly aware that it's because of relationships begun through and developed under her great mentor in Ruston.

I say "terribly" aware because of the unavoidable irony that if her continued coaching success at Baylor is Leon Barmore's living legacy, and includes daughters of his players, then ipso facto, his legacy in Ruston (beyond the banners and HOF inductees) will be relegated to the brick-and-mortar variety.

The other half of that irony is, should CTS prove extraordinarily successful, restoring LaTech to perennial glory, even guiding the Lady Techsters to another national championship... it will be regarded as Pat's legacy. No matter how much assistance, guidance and encouragement Leon provides to the new coach and staff, their successes (even with alumna Mickie DeMoss's assistance) will bear the name Summitt in the sports world's eyes. And from everything I've read about him, Leon Barmore would be nothing but thrilled for the program's success.

So maybe a helpful way to pose the question is: Should Leon Barmore's name reside over something memorial in nature, symbolic and high-profile, or something less impressive but substantive, contributing to the program's future success?
    First part of your post is very interesting and highly possible knowing KMR's nature as we see it at least. In answer to your question I say very high profile for Leon and nothing ever for KMR. Although her gift appreciated, her comments were not.

Champ LT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the roughLT is a jewel in the rough

Re: Mulkey donates back

bitter?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post

This is the person that wore TECH blue for the national championship game to make sure Pres. Reneau noticed she was there and not TECH. No way on this earth Kim ever feels guilty I assure you- not for anything she does. I am not a hater, but she is different than most I assure you.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

She needs to get her other women bball alum to pony up.

Champ BuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant futureBuzDawg73 has a brilliant future BuzDawg73's Avatar

Leon Barmore coached us to THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Do we have a lot of those? I think a statue outside the TAC is completely appropriate.

Champ markay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant futuremarkay714 has a brilliant future markay714's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Yep. I may be mistaken, but I don't think you can name a state-owned building after a living person. And then you have to go through a state approval process. That's why the biomedical engineering building will likely remain nameless until Reneau passes.
    They named a street after Reneaux. Surely they wouldn't name two things after him. They changed a big chunk of Arizona to Dan Reneau Drive.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MiloBumP View Post
    She needs to get her other women bball alum to pony up.
    Ding! Ding! Ding! Chicken winner.

We can't even get the alumnae to consider the Tech Letter Winners Club.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond reputeDawgonit has a reputation beyond repute Dawgonit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by markay714 View Post
    They named a street after Reneaux. Surely they wouldn't name two things after him. They changed a big chunk of Arizona to Dan Reneau Drive.
    I think Ruston did that. The mayor and Reneau always seemed like buddies.

Also is Lake Reneau an official name or is that just the name everyone calls it?

Quote Originally Posted by BuzDawg73 View Post
    Leon Barmore coached us to THREE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. Do we have a lot of those? I think a statue outside the TAC is completely appropriate.
    Agreed. An alumnus that lettered in Basketball and then coached the Lady Techsters for decades producing the best athletic program the school has seen to this date. A statue is deserved at least. What about renaming Bulldog Dr after him?

2011 Bowl Confidence Champion TechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond reputeTechAlum05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgonit View Post
    I think Ruston did that. The mayor and Reneau always seemed like buddies.

Also is Lake Reneau an official name or is that just the name everyone calls it?
    I think Lake Reneau is an unofficial name.

+ Reply to Thread