+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Results 106 to 112 of 112

Thread: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

  1. #106
    Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    204

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    We keep beating this dead horse, but can you please tell me what kind of attendance BOTH teams would've brought to a Tech/nlulm matchup. ULM corporate supporters would have bought tickets I'm sure, but as far as putting butts in the seats? Keep overanalyzing. They have to work on Friday afternoons.
    Don't understand the hostility about the question. But okay, let's do it this way. Who was the opposing team the day the largest crowd ever watched a Tech game in Ruston? I think I know the answer, and you probably do too.

    As an example, Tulane reported 19,000 fans per home game last year in the Dome, though most Wave fans will willingly admit they were lucky to have 5,000 butts in the seats. For the New Orleans Bowl, I think they put about 15,000 in the Dome. Couple a bowl game with a long-time or local rival and you're likely to get good attendance numbers.

  2. #107
    Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute ChuckK3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Union Parish, LA
    Posts
    5,222

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    Don't understand the hostility about the question. But okay, let's do it this way. Who was the opposing team the day the largest crowd ever watched a Tech game in Ruston? I think I know the answer, and you probably do too.

    As an example, Tulane reported 19,000 fans per home game last year in the Dome, though most Wave fans will willingly admit they were lucky to have 5,000 butts in the seats. For the New Orleans Bowl, I think they put about 15,000 in the Dome. Couple a bowl game with a long-time or local rival and you're likely to get good attendance numbers.
    No offense, but you have fallen into the trap of "just fill your stadium by any means necessary" --- and that isn't something our University wants to do.

    Tech is trying to grow our fanbase. We're working with a limited population base that is scattered all along I-20 and into Texas...and honestly, they won't come to a Tech/ULM matchup. Time and again, we've seen no "lift" in our fans' numbers by playing ULM. Yes, our largest Ruston crowd was 28,700 in 1997 versus then-NLU, with NLU bringing decent numbers. Tech had our usual 22,000 and NLU brought 6700. By contrast, we drew 26,000 for Utah State into Ruston in 2012...and because of the distance from Logan, UT, it was almost ALL TECH fans. Utah State may have brought 300? THAT was a WIN for our objective to expose new fans to our program (...except for the overtime loss). We spent a little money to market a game (WOW! what a concept lol) that had conference championship implications and a possible Orange Bowl berth on the line. Tech fans showed up, and about 5000 potential, casual, "I like Tech, but I'm not passionate about them" fans came. THATS WHO WE WANT...folks who can come and see what we're doing in Ruston and become passionate about the local team...not one 200 miles away in Red Stick.

    If we can have an incremental 6000 potential new Tech fans for a meaningful game versus a faraway team like Utah State...why wouldn't we do that? Why would we want to increase ULM's attendance and interest in their program? Does UL-Lafayette feel its their moral obligation to prop up McNeese? I don't, and suspect you don't either.

  3. #108
    Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    204

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckK3 View Post
    No offense, but you have fallen into the trap of "just fill your stadium by any means necessary" --- and that isn't something our University wants to do.

    Tech is trying to grow our fanbase. We're working with a limited population base that is scattered all along I-20 and into Texas...and honestly, they won't come to a Tech/ULM matchup. Time and again, we've seen no "lift" in our fans' numbers by playing ULM. Yes, our largest Ruston crowd was 28,700 in 1997 versus then-NLU, with NLU bringing decent numbers. Tech had our usual 22,000 and NLU brought 6700. By contrast, we drew 26,000 for Utah State into Ruston in 2012...and because of the distance from Logan, UT, it was almost ALL TECH fans. Utah State may have brought 300? THAT was a WIN for our objective to expose new fans to our program (...except for the overtime loss). We spent a little money to market a game (WOW! what a concept lol) that had conference championship implications and a possible Orange Bowl berth on the line. Tech fans showed up, and about 5000 potential, casual, "I like Tech, but I'm not passionate about them" fans came. THATS WHO WE WANT...folks who can come and see what we're doing in Ruston and become passionate about the local team...not one 200 miles away in Red Stick.

    If we can have an incremental 6000 potential new Tech fans for a meaningful game versus a faraway team like Utah State...why wouldn't we do that? Why would we want to increase ULM's attendance and interest in their program? Does UL-Lafayette feel its their moral obligation to prop up McNeese? I don't, and suspect you don't either.
    ChuckK3, you challenged me on why I thought a bowl matchup between Tech and ULM would put butts in the seats and I gave you a valid example.....the largest crowd ever to watch a Tech game in Ruston was there to see you guys play ULM.......and that was 17 years ago! By extrapolation, a bowl game between the two teams should be a good draw especially considering driving distances for both fan bases. Don't know when the last time the two teams met on the field, but I suspect the powers-that-be with the Indy Bowl wanted the matchup because they too felt it would be a good draw. Sure, a Tech/LSU meeting would draw multiples more but that wasn't an option for that bowl. I also understand completely Tech's desire to play a more worthy opponent in post season and don't fault the administration for trying to nail down a better slot. It's just a shame the way that all worked out, leaving those kids who'd earned a national ranking during the year sitting at home watching others during the bowl season.

    As for the issue of home attendance during the regular season, that's a completely different topic than the one I was discussing. And I never suggested Tech should be playing ULM on a regular basis which is what you somehow imply in your response. Play the teams that you guys believe will improve the national image of your program and draw fans at the same time. And just for the record, I imagine every team is trying to grow its fanbase, each using its preferred strategy. From the sounds of it though, it appears Tech has a current cap at about 25,000 even when the team is ranked.

  4. #109
    Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Posts
    45,553

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by cajunfanatico View Post
    From the sounds of it though, it appears Tech has a current cap at about 25,000 even when the team is ranked.

    Not exactly, but history says you are correct. In the past, we've wasted great years by only having two good seasons back to back followed by crap like last year and this year. It's difficult to build to more than 25K when you keep running fans off every 3 to 4 years.
    "eye fo an eye and toof fo a toof" - Idiot in Missouri

  5. #110
    Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    6,855

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    That large Tech/ULM crowd in Ruston was after we hadn't played for a few years so there was a lot of interest. The following 3 games in the series were not well attended. Tech plays the bigger drawing teams (when we expect over 25,000) in Shreveport.

  6. #111
    Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute TYLERTECHSAS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    44,537

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    That large Tech/ULM crowd in Ruston was after we hadn't played for a few years so there was a lot of interest. The following 3 games in the series were not well attended. Tech plays the bigger drawing teams (when we expect over 25,000) in Shreveport.
    Ulm might have brought 200 fans to the first game in Ruston. And they sat on their hands the entire game. Likewise, ULL football fans historically travel terrible to regular season games as well.

  7. #112
    Varsity Bulldog cajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your timecajunfanatico Ultimate jerk and not worth your time cajunfanatico's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    204

    Re: The University of Louisiana at Lafayette Announces Several Major Changes

    Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Ulm might have brought 200 fans to the first game in Ruston. And they sat on their hands the entire game. Likewise, ULL football fans historically travel terrible to regular season games as well.
    I suspect Cajun fans are traveling better to regular season games these days as there's an increased chance of seeing a win. That's a long drive up to Ruston just to watch a curb stomping.

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts