Come off the ledge guys, we are not close to a Top 5 team and it showed. They were much, much better than us,( like that kind of team always is) and we all predicted this kind of outcome. It's tough to watch it happen, but everyone in the country knew it was going to happen.
Now for the positives and what we can build on:
- Upgrade at QB. I like Sokol. He will stand in there with enormous pressure and still deliver a strike. He has good composure. That last one to Hunter on 4th down was very nice. That being said, he did underthrow an easy TD to Dixon in the 1st half and he made a bad throw that got picked off. It was his first Division 1 start in a hostile environment against a great defense, I think he did well and will improve as the season goes on.
- The OL looks much better. I think we only gave up 1 sack. Sokol got hit a few times, but only the 1 sack. The run blocking was bad, but I think that was because OU's DL is incredible.
- Receivers looked about the same. Turner got shutdown. Only made 1 catch, but it was a nice catch. Sterling looked much better to me. Trent Taylor is going to be a player for us. But I didn't see much of an upgrade from last year's group. I think Sokol will do a better job of finding open receivers than Higgins/Young did.
- DBs played pretty well. Their QB made some nice throws into good coverage. I didn't think either of the Pass Interference calls were really pass interference. Once they played their 2nd team receivers, they didn't do much.
- DL got zero pressure. I'm sure that's because OU's OL is incredible. I didn't notice much blitzing, but if there was any, it didn't work. OU's QB had all day. I thought they did OK at times with the up the middle stuff. But they were dominated most of the time.
- LB were too slow for that kind of offense.
- We didn't tire with the up-tempo offense. We looked better conditioned and tougher on D. They didn't steal our will or make us quit. We competed 'til the end.
- They crushed us in the 1st quarter 21-0. They played their starters until the 4th. The score in the 2nd and 3rd quarter was 20-3. We beat their subs in the 4th quarter 13-7. Their subs were still high school studs if they signed with OU.
- Special Teams needs some work: Blocked FG, Blocked EP, and the big KO return.
- I think we only had 1 turnover. That's a positive against a defense like that.
- I look at that game as a scrimmage to prepare us for the conference games. I think we learned from it and we will get better by playing that kind of talent.
Fire away! (I'm ducking)