+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Awesome Tech Find In Attic..

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Awesome Tech Find In Attic..

I was working in my attic today (typical day off when you own a super-old house) and was back in a corner that I hadn't been in before. There was an old note in an envelope that had fallen in between two joists. I tucked it in my back pocket; finished my work and went down into the house for lunch. As I was doing so I pulled out the note to inspect it more closely. To my surprise it was postmarked: Ruston, LA Feb 6, 1958 with the return address (no name) of 681 TECH Station, Ruston, LA. I hope you get a kick out of a glimpse into the past as much as I did...small world to be sure!

It was on hand-cut stationery with the initials MT on the top left and reads as follows:

"Dear Mr and Mrs Adcock,

We made the trip back just fine of course, we thought we'd never get our stuff carried up these flights of stairs. We did, however, and spent the afternoon and part of the night trying to get it all straightened out.

Anita registered yesterday and got everything she wanted just fine. I don't register until the last thing today. There most probably won't even be any courses left by then.

Anita and I have colds together now. All we do is blow our nose. We don't feel bad, it is just that our noses insist on running.

I enjoyed very much staying with you at your house. I hope I wasn't too much of a bother.

I hope you all are doing O.K. and write us whenever you have time.

Love, Madine"
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Re: Awesome Tech Find In Attic..

Just guessing here, but I assume that Madine was Anita's roommate and was thanking her parents for letting her stay. If that assumption is correct, then here name was Anita Adcock. A google search found this old article from the Ruston Leader. It looks like she was president of the Alpha Chi Omega chapter at Tech in 1958. Maybe Madine was a sorority sister.

http://huntfamilyhistory.com/wpd/wp-...odson-mill.pdf

Champ CutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to beholdCutiePie72 is a splendid one to behold

If anyone has one of the alumni directories they might could look there for an anita adcock and a madine t?

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

I think this is really cool. It is sad that it seems that the class and grace exhibited by that hand written note may be gone forever. Oh perhaps a young lady might still have the manners to thank her roommate's parents for their hispitality, but in today's world the chances are high that it would be by text. And for whatever reason, that seems sad to me.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Found her brother and trying to track down Anita as well. Found out who her people were and there are many similarities. Small world indeed. I'd love to have them back over to our house..The Historic Adcock/Barclay Mini-Mansion;serve them in their dining room, and thank them for this house...even though this old thing keeps me busy to say the least
    Last edited by marketdawg; 05-16-2016 at 08:39 PM.

Damn Stray..working in the gov and computer stuff pays when you're trying to track stuff down! I been Googlin' a while and you win and I'm in touch with them now. Do me a favor and never look up the history of your cousin's (old CC from PD) family as I don't want to know

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Really cool story.

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Damn Stray..working in the gov and computer stuff pays when you're trying to track stuff down! I been Googlin' a while and you win and I'm in touch with them now. Do me a favor and never look up the history of your cousin's (old CC from PD) family as I don't want to know
    Ha! Trust me, there are a lot of things about that family you don't want to know.

One more thing that might help in your search: I saw your post on Facebook, and the signature looks like it might say "Maxine" instead of "Madine." It's hard to tell, but Maxine is a more common name.

One quick way to solve this is to get someone in Ruston to go to the Tech library and look in the 1958 yearbook. I'm guessing that they would find Anita and Maxine in the AXO composite.

Champ Rooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond reputeRooster has a reputation beyond repute Rooster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    I think this is really cool. It is sad that it seems that the class and grace exhibited by that hand written note may be gone forever. Oh perhaps a young lady might still have the manners to thank her roommate's parents for their hispitality, but in today's world the chances are high that it would be by text. And for whatever reason, that seems sad to me.
    I agree...my mom used to make me write Thank you letters to my friends who gave me birthday presents... our society has lost that for sure
    “Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it.”
    Lou Holtz - Football Coach

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Thomas Jefferson

"Bring back the rotary phone so we don't have to press 1 for English."
    www.casadice.com

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Found her brother and trying to track down Anita as well. Found out who her people were and there are many similarities. Small world indeed. I'd love to have them back over to our house..The Historic Adcock/Barclay Mini-Mansion;serve them in their dining room, and thank them for this house...even though this old thing keeps me busy to say the least
    If it is Anita Adcock, I cannot find her listed in the alphabetical listing of the Alum. Directory. Either that's a middle name or she married before she graduated and is listed under her married name. I believe the alpha listing has the name on the diploma while the bio lists their present name.

+ Reply to Thread