+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Season 2014-2015

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Duck Season 2014-2015

You can't make this stuff up!

This weekend was the opening weekend of teal season. As an avid waterfowler I languished through Saturday at work and readied myself for a long-awaited Sunday morning hunt. I arrived at the wetland early this morning and loaded up my 4 wheeler and headed out. I arrived at the perfect time to set out the decoys and relax for a few minutes before shooting light. Another season has begun!

As I waded out into the water and began to set my decoys I thought I heard a deer grunting from the direction of the trail my 4 wheeler had made through the marsh. I told myself that there was no way a deer would be coming down my newly run trail so soon after coming in the swamp. I mean deer avoid humans/hunters; at least as far as I can remember. I threw out a few more decoys in the dark and heard it grunt several times again...followed by the sounds of a large quadruped making its way through the flooded vegetation.

A few moments later I could make-out the shape of a deer following my 4 wheeler trail; nose down, like a bloodhound. I blinked and squinted but sure enough...here he comes. I stood perfectly still with my decoy bag over my shoulder, and waited for him to walk out. Surely he'd run when he smelled me; covered in mosquito repellent, or see me and run. Nope.

The young buck stepped out downwind about 15-20 yards away and looked directly at me and grunted again. I took my hat off and yelled at it to scare it away..with a giggle. When I waved and yelled he aggressively ran; splashing mud and muck the whole way, a few yards towards me and the made it clear through his posturing that this was his mud-hole. I was in shock! It was right about this time that my previous nights supper of a cheeseburger, two helpings of stone ground butter-cheese corn grits, about 4 beers or so, and topped off with this morning's 30 oz coffee decided to show up.

With a grumbling from my innards, similar to that of a wounded water buffalo, it was evident what had to be done. Now keep in mind that a pissed-off deer doing some zany stuff is pawing and horning the vegetation not 10 yards from me, my gun is 40 yards from me, in a case, unloaded, and we have a official Mexican Stand-Off worthy of the (very fitting) The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly movie theme. I could read the headlines form the Shreveport Times, "Local Store Owner Gored To Death By Deer......investigators and wildlife biologists believe the deer was initially attracted to the man because his waders were; curiously, full of cheesy corn grits...".

Anyway- I wasn't sure what this danged crazy deer was gonna do; but I was absolutely certain what my bowels were gonna do, so I eased a few steps out of the water to take care of business...all under the watchful eye of my 4 legged friend. In doing so I was able to get my phone out of my pocket and snap a few pics of the deer. I guess that he didn't care for what was happening at this moment any more than I did because he snorted and; with great disdain, trotted off.

I had a fun hunt after that and it was an absolutely beautiful morning! You never know what you're gonna see out there but it is always interesting. I'm going back in the morning; hopefully without my deer buddy and a note to my friends on the same duck property...hunt the west side for a few days. It's a bit; well you know, on the other side . demon1.jpg
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Re: Duck Season 2014-2015

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Great story.

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

picks of BWT?

I killed one teal and one beer...hopefully the first of enough; but not too many of either, this season. Both were very satisfying and; considering the weather, made for a fine day! As i was plucking the teal the scene from Forrest Gump where Blue's dad said, "Couple more and you can have yourself a cocktail!" kept running through my mindteal.jpg

It's not a 6 by 6 elk or a North American Grand Slam but it is the official beginning to every one of my hunting seasons...the wily squirrel. Any of you that hunt or grew up with hunting family members can attest...the squirrel is (besides hard to spell) the "gateway animal" to a much broader way of life. It is; in the wild, usually one of the hardest to pure stalk, bring down with the appropriate arms, find after shooting, and skin/clean to prepare for cooking animal out there. If you've mastered stalking squirrels in the wild; where foxes, bobcats, owls, hawks, snakes, coyotes, and lastly, us humans, have gotten after them then anything else is gravy.
    Squirrels helped make America. It was the "limb chicken" for many a frontiersman's/homesteaders family. It has created guns and calibers designated for just them and Eastern forests were often described by" If a squirrel jumped in a tree in Maine it would never touch the ground til it hit New Orleans" and it makes me both happy and sad to envision such a land.
    With that said I crept through some beautiful oak bottoms this past weekend and shot as many as I cared to skin and clean...then cook. Then comes the process of making a "tree-rat" or "limb chicken" edible...and edible they are. Dumplings, fried, soup, stew, with gravy ect..I kinda feel like Bubba at this point. Anyway...the lowly squirrel is highly regarded in this household and we had a banner batch of squirrel dumplings that we shared with family. It was wonderful and comforting..sq-dumplings 001.jpgsq-dumplings 002.jpg.just as it should be.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

man just waiting in that perm change in temps. got teased a while back with temp near the 40's. it begins in the morning though when me and B crawl into our boxstand to try to bring down a big ole buck (or doe and it really doesn't have to be that big). My lab keeps looking at me like she just knows its getting close and will pester you to death until you submit to bringing out the dummy and making a few throws for her. I've suffered through summer but my payday is coming very very soon and I'm seriously about to explode waiting on it.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

We lost a family member and hunting buddy yesterday as Mistey passed yesterday afternoon. Lot of pain, lot of confusion in the fact she left us so young, she would have been 4 this Jan. Got to hunt with her for three seasons and was so very much looking forward to this one coming up in a month. Somehow Mistey fit about 10 years of love for the family into her short nearly 4 years. Mistey made a such huge difference in our lives and will be so badly missed by all.

these are three of my favorite pictures of her

b first duck.jpgmistey first ducks.jpgmistey on watch.jpg

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post
    We lost a family member and hunting buddy yesterday as Mistey passed yesterday afternoon. Lot of pain, lot of confusion in the fact she left us so young, she would have been 4 this Jan. Got to hunt with her for three seasons and was so very much looking forward to this one coming up in a month. Somehow Mistey fit about 10 years of love for the family into her short nearly 4 years. Mistey made a such huge difference in our lives and will be so badly missed by all.

Attachment 11921Attachment 11922Attachment 11923
    Man, that makes me sad. I enjoyed seeing pics of your adventures with her.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Choudawg86 View Post

Attachment 11921Attachment 11922Attachment 11923
    Beautiful girl!! I can identify with your loss as we lost a great dog several years ago. Wish you luck finding a great dog to fill the hole she left.

Birds are on the move. This could be an EPIC opening weekend! I'm fired-up! Red River Refuge, Cross Lake bird counts are impressive: lots of pintails, ringnecks, greenwinged teal, tons of greys and the mallards are starting to trickle in down this way and absolutely staking up in North Ark. If you have water you should have birds. Also hearing South La is wrapped up in geese.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    Birds are on the move. This could be an EPIC opening weekend! I'm fired-up! Red River Refuge, Cross Lake bird counts are impressive: lots of pintails, ringnecks, greenwinged teal, tons of greys and the mallards are starting to trickle in down this way and absolutely staking up in North Ark. If you have water you should have birds. Also hearing South La is wrapped up in geese.
    Good luck to y'all. Cannot believe my buddy, DD, has recovered to the point where he is considering going to the lease
    Saturday. Truly a miracle.
    Good old Memorial Gym

He stopped in to visit last week and looked great. Truly miraculous! On a different note a buddy of mine just stopped in and showed me a video on his phone of the ducks coming in to his property south of Shreveport last night. It was unbelievable. This guy's place is legendary in a normal year and his exact words were "Never seen this many ducks on my place before." The sky was literally darkened by the numbers!

ducks have been S L O WWWWWWWWWWWW in our area but B as able to knock down a lone mallard hen that fell in love with a couple mojo's. After the knock down B did pretty well on the retrieve, might have to work on hand signals a bit but over all not a bad fetch.
    Attached Images Attached Images

well, VERY slow today, actually had only one duck come in and he came home with us. B got his first Greenhead and he was pretty pumped . ..
    Attached Images Attached Images

+ Reply to Thread