+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Jeter

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Jeter

What a way to finish his Yankee Stadium career!
    GW RBI in bottom of 9th

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Jeter

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    What a way to finish his Yankee Stadium career!
    GW RBI in bottom of 9th
    Changed the channel in the 7th after his RBI on an error. Hate I missed the 9th.

Champ techblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to beholdtechblue4 is a splendid one to behold

It couldn't have been scripted any better. Like the Yankees or not, he truly was an ambassador of the game and respected everywhere.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techblue4 View Post
    It couldn't have been scripted any better. Like the Yankees or not, he truly was an ambassador of the game and respected everywhere.
    Apparently this is why Olbermann dislikes him so much.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

I like him. But baseball went way overboard with his farewell tour. The All-Star game was obviously about Jeter, so Wainwright obliged and served him a meat pitch and it cost the National League a chance for home field advantage in the world series. Baltimore gave up what little chance they had of having the AL's best record because it was obviously all about Jeter last night, so Showalter pitched to Jeter with first base open and the winning run on second instead of walking him to set up the double play (LIKE HE WOULD HAVE DONE IN ALMOST ANY OTHER SITUATION). It was like an exhibition game.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Apparently this is why Olbermann dislikes him so much.
    Did Olberman say anything about him that was false? The stats he presented were very interesting. I like him as a player and leader. Just a bit overrated.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    Did Olberman say anything about him that was false? The stats he presented were very interesting. I like him as a player and leader. Just a bit overrated.
    Jeter appears to be a nice guy. Not arrogant, not flashy, just does his job and most everybody likes him. I don't think K.O. likes anybody nice or conservative.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Jeter appears to be a nice guy. Not arrogant, not flashy, just does his job and most everybody likes him. I don't think K.O. likes anybody nice or conservative.
    No one nice and decent likes that azzhole.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

The/some are now saying his last play was set-up for him.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

KO is an asshole. Jeter is a nice guy. No doubt. But KO was listing stats not opinions and after listening to some of those stats I realized Jeter is indeed overrated. Good player, iron man, good leader. Great player? Meh. Put him on the Texas Rangers his entire career and he's Michael Young.

Put him on the Texas Rangers his entire career and he's Michael Young.
    Great point, but we all know being a Yankee means special treatment (good and bad). It seems that Jeter's peers respect him. That respect is worth more than all the stats Olbermann seemed to enjoy spewing.

Big Dog olddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her gameolddawgfan is on top of his/her game

I don't want to take anything away from Jeter but my how things have changed in 54 years. Ted Williams played about 20 years, lost at least parts of 5 seasons serving in the military in two wars and hit a homerun in his last at bat. It's been a long time but I swear there wasn't this type of hoopla when he retired.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

I didn't see the stats Olbermann presented, but I have always though Jeter was a little overrated due to him being liked around the league. His defense is average at best, and by some metrics, downright not good. His offensive game is very good for a SS, but not mind-blowing. He did accumulate a ton of hits, and we know that longevity and stat accumulation is very important to being considered "great" in baseball. I think Jeter is a very good player who will be immortalized due to being part of the Yankees and given many opportunities to shine. Look at his playoff stats, he obviously had great moments, but overall, his playoff stats match his regular season stats. Which the law of averages would tell you that should happen, given the ample opportunity Jeter had.

Now, look at Mariano, his stats were just stupid in the playoffs even compared to his nice regular season stats. He truly is "clutch" if such a thing.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I've never been a Yankee fan or a Derek Jeter fan. However, baseball is about statistics. Therefore, I decided to compare Derek Jeter's statistics vs. Hall of Fame shortstops I heard a lot about during my 50+ years of following baseball. I also listed Honus Wagner who leads HOF shortstops in many categories. Honus Wagner last played in 1917 after a 21 year career.

The statistics in bold indicate the leader among the shortstops listed. Derek Jeter leads the listed Hall of Fame shortstops in hits and runs. He is 2nd to Honus Wagner in AVG and OBP, 3rd behind Ernie Banks and Cal Ripken Jr. in HR's, and among the leaders in most of the other categories. Among the "modern day" shortstops, he leads or is near the lead in most categories.

Derek Jeter's statistics support his selection to the HOF.

Hall of Famer AVG OBP SLG HITS HR RBI RUNS SB
    Luis Aparicio 0.262 0.313 0.343 2,677 83 791 1,335 506
    Ernie Banks 0.274 0.333 0.500 2,583 512 1,636 1,305 50
    Barry Larkin 0.295 0.371 0.444 2,340 198 960 1,329 379
    Pee Wee Reese 0.269 0.366 0.377 2,170 126 885 1,338 232
    Cal Ripken, Jr. 0.276 0.340 0.447 3,184 431 1,695 1,647 36
    Phil Rizzuto 0.273 0.351 0.355 1,588 38 563 877 149
    Ozzie Smith 0.262 0.337 0.328 2,460 28 793 1,257 580
    Honus Wagner 0.327 0.391 0.466 3,415 101 1,732 1,736 722
    Robin Yount 0.285 0.346 0.430 3,142 251 1,406 1,632 271
    Derek Jeter 0.310 0.377 0.440 3,465 260 1,311 1,923 358

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

KO is a Yankee purist. He was determined to come up with the stats to prove the other side of Jeetz. An attention getter piece. Up until then KO just glorified Jeter, being the fan of the Yankees that he is.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread