+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Playing with Fire

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: Playing with Fire

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    That's debatable with relatively healthy players. When you have a player with a diagnosed strained ligament, why risk exacerbating the injury any further? Stats won't matter if you injure yourself further and can't accrue more stats in subsequent games.
    I'm sure that after the grief and second guessing that the Michigan coach had to endure last week when he did't pull an injured QB out of the game in time, Holtz wouldn't be stupid enough to do the same with Dixon a week later. This is just another example of fans taking "fandom" a little too far. It's all good.

And for the record, stats are damn important. Especially for a good athlete with a promising NFL career. Like it or not, stats can be the difference between being drafted in the 2nd round versus the 7th round. Stats typically tell a story, and they are important.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he left them in too long. Sokol especially. If he goes down, we suck all of sudden. That being said, I hope this is our only gripe from here out (and no one ever gets hurt).

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I think he left them in too long. Sokol especially. If he goes down, we suck all of sudden. That being said, I hope this is our only gripe from here out (and no one ever gets hurt).
    Yep...only gripe from me (which I know is surprising in a night with 17 pass attempts). I saw big hits on both Dixon and Sokol that could've been bad. We were up 45...no reason to have those guys in.

I know Price is supposed to be the future, but we better get Higgins reps just in case.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

They are fine. We have two weeks to heal up. Dora, Martin, Turner, and others will be back when we meet UTSA. We are in a verrrrrrry enviable position, just ask anyone not named Louisiana Tech in C-USA West!

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    I disagree. Sokol is finally getting serious playing time for the first --and last--- season of his college career. Frankly, he NEEDS the practice. Pulling Sokol out with 10:00 full minutes remaining in the game was perfect. I have no criticism of Holtz for this.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    I disagree. Sokol is finally getting serious playing time for the first --and last--- season of his college career. Frankly, he NEEDS the practice. Pulling Sokol out with 10:00 full minutes remaining in the game was perfect. I have no criticism of Holtz for this.
    I can see that point, but it's not worth it to me. Can you imagine losing Sokol for the season when you were leading UTEP by 41 points in the 4th Quarter?

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

While you're wrong, it's more forgivable with Sokol. Dixon came in injured. He should've been off the field after the half.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    While you're wrong, it's more forgivable with Sokol. Dixon came in injured. He should've been off the field after the half.
    And he was limping with his injured foot when he came out. I would agree with HD on this if it weren't for the fact that Dixon was already injured. He was playing hurt and needed rest not reps.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigdog13 View Post
    And he was limping with his injured foot when he came out. I would agree with HD on this if it weren't for the fact that Dixon was already injured. He was playing hurt and needed rest not reps.

But, do we actually KNOW this about Dixon? Fact is, he seems to limp most of the time. And no, I'm not exaggerating. He really does seem to limp a lot. For instance, I noticed him limping throughout the 1st half against UTEP, AND throughout the Auburn game. I'm sure the coaches are in a much better position to evaluate this issue than any of us here on this board.

[/B]

But, do we actually KNOW this about Dixon?
    Yes.

Champ ITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond reputeITdrummer has a reputation beyond repute ITdrummer's Avatar

[/B]

But, do we actually KNOW this about Dixon? Fact is, he seems to limp most of the time. And no, I'm not exaggerating. He really does seem to limp a lot. For instance, I noticed him limping throughout the 1st half against UTEP, AND throughout the Auburn game. I'm sure the coaches are in a much better position to evaluate this issue than any of us here on this board.
    Maybe that's because he injured his foot in the Auburn game? And it still isnt healed yet? "Most of the time" = 2 games?

Quote Originally Posted by ITdrummer View Post
    Maybe that's because he injured his foot in the Auburn game? And it still isnt healed yet? "Most of the time" = 2 games?
    Your missing my point. To outsiders, he looks hurt ALL THE TIME. Not part of the time. ALL the time. And if he's really hurt, then he shouldn't be playing at all. So I trust the coaches to make these decisions in his case.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Your missing my point. To outsiders, he looks hurt ALL THE TIME. Not part of the time. ALL the time. And if he's really hurt, then he shouldn't be playing at all. So I trust the coaches to make these decisions in his case.
    You're right, it's a ploy. :icon_wink:

Per the 9/29/14 press conference: "Kenneth has a strained ligament in his foot."

I think Kenneth's stats are better served by making sure he is:
    1) available to play in every game

AND

2) At his best (relatively speaking) when he is playing.

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    You're right, it's a ploy. :icon_wink:

Per the 9/29/14 press conference: "Kenneth has a strained ligament in his foot."

I think Kenneth's stats are better served by making sure he is:
    1) available to play in every game

AND

2) At his best (relatively speaking) when he is playing.
    Then you should call Holtz and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing with the management of Dixon. Afterall, you apparently know better, and an athletes health is obviously at stake --according to you. Holtz needs to hear from YOU!! :icon_wink:

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Then you should call Holtz and tell him he doesn't know what he's doing with the management of Dixon. Afterall, you apparently know better, and an athletes health is obviously at stake --according to you. Holtz needs to hear from YOU!! :icon_wink:
    Come on HogDawg, this forum is meant to discuss all things Tech football; if that didn't include coaching decisions then this site would be REALLY boring. I'm also pretty sure that you may have questioned a coaching decision once or twice in your day.

There's no rational reason for Holtz to leave Dixon in, OTHER than Dixon's possible desire and subsequent insistence on staying in. I'm sure many coaches have been burned by yielding to persuasive players. The difference in whether a player can play (a decision made by doctor's/trainer) and whether a player should play (a decision made by coaches/players) are very different.

Again, I think an argument can be made for keeping Sokol in...but I'm not sure one can be made for Dixon. I'm VERY glad he appears to be pretty healthy coming into this bye week and I hope he keeps his drive to play and lead us to big wins.

+ Reply to Thread