+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ditch Wagon Wheel

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: Ditch Wagon Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    I wouldn't say trending, but i agree about it being down. Reasons:

1. There are a LOT more TV timeouts than just a few years back.
    2. We aren't getting the same caliber opponents this year. Hawaii, Fresno, USM, Houston, Boise, Tulane, Mississippi State get people excited. Our home schedule is great for the team, but terrible for fan excitement. UTSA might as well be an FCS team for most fans. UTEP was expected to be a disaster. Rice is probably the only "exciting" home opponent we'll play this year. Let's not even discuss the effects of losing to NSU.
    3. Non-AQ/BCS football is being ignored by media more than previous years. As much as I hate to admit it, we're also hurt in this department by not being on ESPN. Our top plays aren't rebroadcast during the week like they used to and there is no "BCS buster" hype for ANY G5 school. We're being relegated.
    4. Early kick offs have always hurt attendance and involvement.

And the biggest:
    5. Last year's home schedule turned our fanbase from optimistic under Dykes to pessimistic under Holtz. The manner in which we lost our games last year really did damage to the enthusiasm. Being in JAS and watching the team quit was no fun last year.

I personally think a 7 or 8 win regular season followed by a Dallas or Shreveport date for a bowl game is just what the doctor ordered. Tech fans are not ULL or ULM fans. We need to be in the national conversation and beating big name opponents. Mediocrity will not suffice.
    Let me add a couple to your list.

6. Our games are much slower now under Holtz than under Dykes. Lots more dead time now in between plays. Fast-paced football is much more fan friendly. We've had much less frequent Move The Chains chants with Holtz.

7. The video board isn't as engaging as it used to be. Those videos with Terry, Kix, Trace, All I Do Is Win, All the Way Turnt Up, etc. were much more engaging than the videos we're using now. I like the Flex Cam better than the Kiss Cam, but other than that, I think the older videos were much more engaging.

And yes, I agree it's time to move on from Wagon Wheel. This isn't North Carolina or Tennessee. Let's find another song for the fans to sing along to.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

"Move the chains" is a great (and one of our few) traditions we have. It appears Robken and the board op don't give a crap if we do it or not. IMO it is as much, if not more important to the game day experience, than our Alma Mater being sung.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    "Move the chains" is a great (and one of our few) traditions we have. It appears Robken and the board op don't give a crap if we do it or not. IMO it is as much, if not more important to the game day experience, than our Alma Mater being sung.
    All these years and they still don't have a recording to play on the tron in the last 5-7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when the band is prepping for halftime.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    All these years and they still don't have a recording to play on the tron in the last 5-7 minutes of the 2nd quarter when the band is prepping for halftime.
    Yes and while Robken takes the band seniors up to the skybox for milk and cookies and annoys the crowd for the 1st 10 minutes of the second half, the band forgets to play it.

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

So I'm lost on what that cheer has actually become. "Move the chains...score more points...????"

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

"Move the chains x3, score more points, first and ten, DO IT AGAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    So I'm lost on what that cheer has actually become. "Move the chains...score more points...????"
    Yeah, I think that "score more points, huh" [with pelvic thrust] needs to die. It was much cleaner with everybody doing MTCx3.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Yeah, I think that "score more points, huh" [with pelvic thrust] needs to die. It was much cleaner with everybody doing MTCx3.
    It is really cluttered now. As is the Alma Mater. What is it they say now when they sing it?

It took me 3 years to get my dad to yell, "hey.......sic em Dawgs!"

50 plus years of "hey........go Dawgs!" Dies hard.

Champ turbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond reputeturbodawg has a reputation beyond repute turbodawg's Avatar

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    It is really cluttered now. As is the Alma Mater. What is it they say now when they sing it?

It took me 3 years to get my dad to yell, "hey.......sic em Dawgs!"

50 plus years of "hey........go Dawgs!" Dies hard.
    I've heard its either "baby" or "maybe" but either way I dont sing that and no one should. Its not part of the Alma Mater and someone official needs to tell the students its not.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Robken started that tradition himself. The students gradually added everything following the MTCx3.

He also started the kickoff thing and moving the dog symbol in a circle.

The drumline also started a little thing every time we got a rushing first down...because they were so rare in the late 90's. Then Ryan Moats showed up and it wasn't funny anymore.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I've heard its either "baby" or "maybe" but either way I dont sing that and no one should. Its not part of the Alma Mater and someone official needs to tell the students its not.
    It's "baby," and the drumline started that...which got the band doing it, and eventually the entire student section...in the late 90's.

We had others, but you have to join the band to find out how they go.

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Slackdog View Post
    There should be a sub-forum entitled "Complain about anything" or "Whiners" to house topics similar to this. My family loves WW and gets involved....geez.
    Dittos keep Wagon Wheel - we love it too.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I was born In the wrong century. I don't know any of the songs you all are talking about.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

+ Reply to Thread