+ Reply to Thread

Thread: North Carolina Scandal

Champ StrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond reputeStrayDawg has a reputation beyond repute StrayDawg's Avatar

Ncaa North Carolina Scandal

This looks really bad, but I think we all expect the NCAA do look the other way and give them a minor sanction. I know that some will talk about 'glass houses' and say that this happens everywhere. I don't doubt that a lot of places give inflated grades to athletes, but this UNC thing is pretty over the top. I have a few questions about this whole thing:

1. Why was the university allowed to sanction it's own investigation? How does anyone expect them to be completely forthcoming?

2. This report says that half of the students taking fake courses were athletes. What about the other half? I could have used a few of these as an undergrad, where do I sign up?

3. How will the NCAA justify looking the other way on this? You know they will try, the question is how will they rationalize it?

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...l#.VElgnIe4lsM

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Re: North Carolina Scandal

The legal blogs have been saying for over a year there will be criminal charges in this one. The NCAA may not be able to turn their head here.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Soonerdawg View Post
    The legal blogs have been saying for over a year there will be criminal charges in this one. The NCAA may not be able to turn their head here.
    The much-discussed Penn State case was almost totally outside the normal realm that NCAA jurisdiction covers, and look what happened to Penn State. This North Carolina case is just about 100% within NCAA jurisdiction.

If any G5 school did what North Carolina has done, at a minimum it would get postseason bans in all sports for 5-10 years if not complete athletic program shutdown.

I will be shocked if the total number of seasons of postseason bans in this case takes more than one hand to count on. P5 conference "jewels" like North Carolina get treated differently...they shouldn't, but they do.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

I will see if I can still pull up the blogs on it because my memory is sketchy now. It seems to men, though, that a whole department was fake. It didn't exist. I'm pretty sure there was an investigation into fraud.

I am swamped today, but I will try to find it this weekend.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

+ Reply to Thread