+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Conference Realignment 2014 edition

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Re: Conference Realignment 2014 edition

I think the interesting thing here is that the new playoff committee is giving SOS heavy weight in their rankings, so it's changing the dynamic (or at least the conversation) of conference realignment. Leagues shouldn't want to load up with cellar dweller that only bring TV markets. It seems performance on-field (current and traditional) will actually get more weight.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

My Ideal Conference for us - I know it would never happen

West East
    Houston UAB
    SMU Louisiana Tech
    UTSA Memphis
    North Texas Southern Miss
    Rice Tulane
    Tulsa MTSU (or WKU)

Travel Partners: North Texas/Tulsa; SMU/Houston, UTSA/Rice; Memphis/MTSU (or WKU); Tech/USM; Tulane/UAB

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    Travel. Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Memphis. MWC = old WAC travel wise.
    I get that. I guess I don't see the upside of AAC being so significantly greater than that of CUSA being worth a switch. Maybe I'm not seeing something everyone else sees.

Why shuffle to a depleted AAC? Roll out the red carpet for those left behind by big 12 and be done with it. If they won't come, let them have fun where they are.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

We ain't at the bottom. The bottom has Benson as a leader.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Otm4RusESNU

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    I get that. I guess I don't see the upside of AAC being so significantly greater than that of CUSA being worth a switch. Maybe I'm not seeing something everyone else sees.

Why shuffle to a depleted AAC? Roll out the red carpet for those left behind by big 12 and be done with it. If they won't come, let them have fun where they are.
    I'm no longer enamored with the schools that will be in the AAC going forward. Nothing like I was in the past. Tulsa? Tulane? ECU? SMU? Nope. And Memphis certainly doesn't light my fire. We've shared a conference with each of these schools before (save for Memphis), and none of these schools were a difference maker. We didn't even see increased attendances when we played some of these schools at home.

Again. NOT a difference maker.

I'm perfectly happy for LA Tech to stay in CUSA and build on the successes we are exoeriencing here. I don't need to climb the G5 ladder anymore. IMO, there's little to no difference between the AAC and CUSA in football. I guess there's a difference in men's basketball, but long term I expect some of the AAC's better basketball programs (e.g., UCONN) to move on. And after LA Tech makes a couple of deep runs into the NCAA Tournament, CUSA will probably gain respect in men's BB too.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. But we have nver shared a conference with Houston as far as I know. With our history of changing conferences if we went to the AAC, then immediately SMU, Tulsa, Tulane, Memphis, ECU and Houston would move somewhere else. Stay where we are and if the Big 12 and ACC raid the AAC take the best of their leftovers and just leave therest in the cold like they have been continually doing us.

Big Dog RGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the roughRGTech98 is a jewel in the rough

IMHO one of the reasons CUSA went to 14 teams was an expectation of a future raid. That way their championship game is protected and they wouldn't have to be in rush to replace lost teams.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Hell USL is a lock for the bigxii why are y'all even discussing this?
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Chuck Landon is full of crap. He's tried to stir up realignment crap before, and he's done it again. He doesn't have any knowledge of anything. He just knows what gets his articles hits.
    Booooo. Party pooper.

I don't think I'm actually going to hit the powerball this week either, but it's still fun to imagine.

Champ Soonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond reputeSoonerdawg has a reputation beyond repute Soonerdawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Booooo. Party pooper.

I don't think I'm actually going to hit the powerball this week either, but it's still fun to imagine.
    That's what I say about Shakira.
    It's time to close the doors to the Temple of Janus.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    Booooo. Party pooper.

Well, Chuck Landon is full of it, but I'm not being a party pooper. Discuss as you will even though this thread is in the wrong forum.

IMO being a party pooper is saying that we shouldn't be striving for an AAC invite. We, our administration and our fan base, cannot have that loser attitude. That attitude is why we were left behind in the WAC in 2004. Yes, we should be proud of C-USA and promote C-USA, and C-USA is fine for us now. However, we should never settle for C-USA because that's when you start falling further behind. We should always be preparing to move up in the world because you never know when the dominoes will start falling again. Despite what some think, the AAC is on a higher level than C-USA, and our goals and plans should be aligned with putting us in position for an AAC invite when the opportunity arises, whether it's next year, in ten years, or a couple decades down the line.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GermDawg View Post
    I think the interesting thing here is that the new playoff committee is giving SOS heavy weight in their rankings, so it's changing the dynamic (or at least the conversation) of conference realignment. Leagues shouldn't want to load up with cellar dweller that only bring TV markets. It seems performance on-field (current and traditional) will actually get more weight.
    It won't be long before the CFB Playoff expands to 8 teams.

Puppy BMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really niceBMBulldog is just really nice

I don't see us moving for a while and would dread moving to a new conference that required crazy amounts of travel. I'd like to see us dominate CUSA for a while and then go to B12 and I think we should start playing more B12 teams and less SEC teams as non conference. Say Baylor, TCU, and Texas.

Just my two hypothetical cents.

Champ brtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond reputebrtransplant has a reputation beyond repute brtransplant's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMBulldog View Post
    I don't see us moving for a while and would dread moving to a new conference that required crazy amounts of travel. I'd like to see us dominate CUSA for a while and then go to B12 and I think we should start playing more B12 teams and less SEC teams as non conference. Say Baylor, TCU, and Texas.

Just my two hypothetical cents.
    Playing Big 12 teams as OOC opponents is fine, but don't ever think that the Big 12 would invite a school like us to join their ranks. Please leave that kind of idiotic talk for the Cajun fans.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brtransplant View Post
    Playing Big 12 teams as OOC opponents is fine, but don't ever think that the Big 12 would invite a school like us to join their ranks.
    TCU
    SWC => CUSA => MWC => Big12

Louisville
    Metro = > CUSA => BigEast => ACC

+ Reply to Thread