+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Crowd participation

Champ THEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond reputeTHEarmada has a reputation beyond repute THEarmada's Avatar

Re: Crowd participation

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Who?
    Smh, for all the moaning about ULL calling themselves the University of Louisiana...I would think that this would be the one place that everyone would assume that someone using the acronym "UL" would be referring to the University of Louisville

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Smh is a newer shorthand for me. Prease exprain.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Having attended the UTEP and UTSA games at home and then the USM game, I've got some thoughts on crowd participation. Didn't make it for the NSU game which may have sucked all the energy out of some of our fans for the entire season. For the games I've been to, I've been underwhelmed by the crowd participation of both sides of the stadium (granted one started at 11 am). I frequently end up in areas of the stadium with only a few folks most of whom just stare at me when I yell when we're on defense. In my estimation, most folks come to our games to be spectators or socialites while some others truly enjoy participating through cheering and making noise (most of those people I would assume are on this board).

I know we've had some conversations about the stadium entrance on other threads but lately I've been thinking about why its hard to get people excited and into the game.

First off, the play on the field is the most important component to crowd involvement. When we're making stupid mistakes folks really get down on the team.

Secondly, when our stadium is so sparsely filled with people its hard for energy to spread.

The one area that I think we under-utilize is the Dawgzilla. I really liked that USM has a standard audio clips that they play at specific times EVERY time. For example, they play the "Welcome to the Jungle" intro EVERY time their defense comes out on the field. Its kind of a fans "call-to-arms" and it gets the crowd loud from the first play of the drive. Also, on EVERY third down they played a bell tolling. On EVERY third down the saints blare a siren.

My recollection is that we have some "get loud" graphic and audio clips (including a bell tolling) but they seemed to be used sporadically. I can't remember what all of our clips are this season but in the past we've used TB and Kix Brooks clips, I'm assuming those have been shelved because they're unique and get old after a season. I think a standard sound bite can be used for years, such as the welcome to the jungle clip or siren.

Additionally, the students should be the energy source for the whole stadium and from my estimation outside of a few dedicated students the rest seem uninterested in the game (sat in section OO for one game and got a good view).

Of the top of my head is playing the intro to "Never scared" by bone crusher. We play the song in pregame and the rap intro (without words) is about 13 seconds I figure you could repeat it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Hopefully the stadium will be packed and loud this weekend.

How bout them dawgs?!?
    They did a really good job with their video board coordination - best I've seen

The team really didn't give us much to get into the first half - but it built into the 2nd half

I'm pushing 50 - I'm not going to stand the whole game anymore - I will stand on third downs until they continually give up first downs on 3rd downs and then I will sit a while to see if it changes the luck

The NWSt game the energy was lacking cause everyone was shocked

The UTEP game - it was BAM and 28-0 and there is not a lot to get too excited about 55-3 - you set back and enjoy the game

UTSA was a bumbling stumbling first ahalf a what felt like 8 am in the morning - a raucous 3rd quarter and then when they made 3rd and forever the air went out of the balloon and it was HERE WE GO AGAIN that crept in over the remaining crowd

I thought the traveling crowd was good and lively at USM - not electric but good

Football is not like a nip and tuck basketball game where there is constant action like the Iona game last year - which was the most electric event I've been too on the Tech campus since 1985

I can't explain it, but I yell when appropriately but yet I enjoy visiting and conversing during football games almost as much as the game itself
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

2011 Pick 'Em Champion johnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond reputejohnnylightnin has a reputation beyond repute johnnylightnin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Smh is a newer shorthand for me. Prease exprain.
    Shake my head I believe.

Video board/band coordination likely won't fix our problem, but it can't hurt.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by johnnylightnin View Post
    Video board/band coordination likely won't fix our problem, but it can't hurt.
    It's Pavlov's Dog theory - much like the BoP and MTC, IF the board was effectively used it would be second nature for fan participation

Cause everyone knows we get upset when they miss a MTC
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog dj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant futuredj95 has a brilliant future

I sit in Section F on the West Side. There is energy building as the National Anthem is played, then Alma Mater, and the Dawgs make their way to the stadium.. and then..... what seems like 10 minutes (probably not really that long but feels like it) of player intros with boring stale music and no life from the players. Then, our intro video is random shots of Monroe, Ruston, and Shreverport with this is Bulldog Country... the crowd is flat by then. Then add in the slow starts and terrible Video Board stunts and crowd interactions... kinda hard to have energy. I know some did not like the video board sound and thought was too loud, but it is like we have gone completely the other way with it now. Need to find a happy medium. Lots of small pieces contribute to lack of energy, but definitely think we can work on game intro and in game video board usage. Other than that, we need exciting offense. That is what our fan base has always been jazzed about. Whether it is high octane or ground and pound, be exciting, be effective, and score lots of points. See y'all Saturday! GO Dawgs!

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I noticed USM copies South Carolina's usage of "Sandstorm."

How original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErJo2CpAYps
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by THEarmada View Post
    Having attended the UTEP and UTSA games at home and then the USM game, I've got some thoughts on crowd participation. Didn't make it for the NSU game which may have sucked all the energy out of some of our fans for the entire season. For the games I've been to, I've been underwhelmed by the crowd participation of both sides of the stadium (granted one started at 11 am). I frequently end up in areas of the stadium with only a few folks most of whom just stare at me when I yell when we're on defense. In my estimation, most folks come to our games to be spectators or socialites while some others truly enjoy participating through cheering and making noise (most of those people I would assume are on this board).

I know we've had some conversations about the stadium entrance on other threads but lately I've been thinking about why its hard to get people excited and into the game.

First off, the play on the field is the most important component to crowd involvement. When we're making stupid mistakes folks really get down on the team.

Secondly, when our stadium is so sparsely filled with people its hard for energy to spread.

The one area that I think we under-utilize is the Dawgzilla. I really liked that USM has a standard audio clips that they play at specific times EVERY time. For example, they play the "Welcome to the Jungle" intro EVERY time their defense comes out on the field. Its kind of a fans "call-to-arms" and it gets the crowd loud from the first play of the drive. Also, on EVERY third down they played a bell tolling. On EVERY third down the saints blare a siren.

My recollection is that we have some "get loud" graphic and audio clips (including a bell tolling) but they seemed to be used sporadically. I can't remember what all of our clips are this season but in the past we've used TB and Kix Brooks clips, I'm assuming those have been shelved because they're unique and get old after a season. I think a standard sound bite can be used for years, such as the welcome to the jungle clip or siren.

Additionally, the students should be the energy source for the whole stadium and from my estimation outside of a few dedicated students the rest seem uninterested in the game (sat in section OO for one game and got a good view).

Of the top of my head is playing the intro to "Never scared" by bone crusher. We play the song in pregame and the rap intro (without words) is about 13 seconds I figure you could repeat it.

Anyway, just some random thoughts. Hopefully the stadium will be packed and loud this weekend.

How bout them dawgs?!?
    . Kinda agree-- our group has been on 00 since stadium built-- nowadays most of females are on their phones texting and guys checking scores or whatever ( upper deck) . Lower student section do great job, just wish more would show up

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dj95 View Post
    I sit in Section F on the West Side. There is energy building as the National Anthem is played, then Alma Mater, and the Dawgs make their way to the stadium.. and then..... what seems like 10 minutes (probably not really that long but feels like it) of player intros with boring stale music and no life from the players. Then, our intro video is random shots of Monroe, Ruston, and Shreverport with this is Bulldog Country... the crowd is flat by then. Then add in the slow starts and terrible Video Board stunts and crowd interactions... kinda hard to have energy. I know some did not like the video board sound and thought was too loud, but it is like we have gone completely the other way with it now. Need to find a happy medium. Lots of small pieces contribute to lack of energy, but definitely think we can work on game intro and in game video board usage. Other than that, we need exciting offense. That is what our fan base has always been jazzed about. Whether it is high octane or ground and pound, be exciting, be effective, and score lots of points. See y'all Saturday! GO Dawgs!
    . Great point about video-- we need 99 yard run, one handed td, Dixon long td catch and run, interceptions for Td and wrap up with big hits from defense-- fire up with football-- not shots of wore out Texas Street Bridge! Get some energy going before kickoff

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

The NWST game killed the crowd. I'm not being a Debbie Downer, I'm stating a fact. That's now in the past. Holtz has a chance to really put his foot to the floor in the West with a win Saturday. He also has a chance to regain some trust from the fans. I still expect the crowd to be in a "wait and see" mood. He wins this one and I think the bad memories begin to fade. If he loses, well, we won't so no use talking about it.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

I sat on the 50 yd line of the home team side upper deck at USM at about the same position as we sit in JAS. Compared to JAS, it was surprisingly quiet. Even when things were going well for them in the first half, they weren't really into it.

The people were plenty nice or at least indifferent. No one was rude or told us to shut up because we were yelling for the Dawgs. A lot of people talked to us about the game on the way out. It was a good experience. But from where I sat, our crowds at every game at Tech this year have been louder than what I experienced at USM.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    . Great point about video-- we need 99 yard run, one handed td, Dixon long td catch and run, interceptions for Td and wrap up with big hits from defense-- fire up with football-- not shots of wore out Texas Street Bridge! Get some energy going before kickoff
    http://youtu.be/eBUMANJiQbA

A small back story on the intro video . . I was privileged to preview the intro video at the ULL game. The opening featured Dixon's run last year at UTEP. This viewing took place prior to the ULL kickoff. Later, after the game, I mentioned to David Pillen, our video guy "Well, looks like you need to substitute the video (he had worked weeks on) with tonight's run (by Dixon at ULL)."

Not only did he do that before the NSU game, but he added the team's entrance with the American flag at NTexas. So the week up to the first home game David was continuously editing the video.

Another opinion: I thought early on the "This is Tech Country" campaign was hokey. BUT, after seeing yard signs all over the NorthernLouisiana region and the strategic placement of the "Tech Country" billboards . . . and, yes, in the intro video, I would say it has become one of our better overall marketing messages.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Varsity Bulldog B.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of lightB.Y.O.C.B. is a glorious beacon of light

You know what really grinds my gears.. When we get loud on 3rd downs, start ringing cow bells, and watch people who are sitting around us leave because we are being too loud. We have had to start implementing cow bell rules: 1) Only ring on 3rd down, 4th down and after a big play 2) No ringing when we are up by 21 points. It's getting pretty ridiculous how dead the crowd can get.

Interesting article in USA today sports section ranking top 10 teams for Social Media during game-- S Cal - Oregan - etc. Other than Tennessee do not remember any SEC teams -- god bless them for this, LSU-Alabama not on list--- Fans to busy yelling their butts off and supporting their team than worring about social media-- I will post the list later this AM

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B.Y.O.C.B. View Post
    You know what really grinds my gears.. When we get loud on 3rd downs, start ringing cow bells, and watch people who are sitting around us leave because we are being too loud. We have had to start implementing cow bell rules: 1) Only ring on 3rd down, 4th down and after a big play 2) No ringing when we are up by 21 points. It's getting pretty ridiculous how dead the crowd can get.
    Yeah, I don't get this. It's a football game, not a golf tournament. If you come to a football game expecting the noise level to be low, you're going to be sorely disappointed. As the saying goes, if it's too loud....

+ Reply to Thread