+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H.S. coach unhappy with Mississippi State after grayshirt request for QB

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: H.S. coach unhappy with Mississippi State after grayshirt request for QB

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I'm not doubting you, but the article above doesn't say that. His quote - He said he hopes to choose a school that will allow him to enroll in January. Any School will allow him to enroll in January, but I've never heard of a kid being put on scholarship before the signing period.
    I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but State had backed off a Meridian QB that ended up committing to Tech because State had recruited another QB. Maybe this is the guy and they are back on the Meridian QB to de commit

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Yes if something is available. I mentioned "other financial aid", but I don't thing that is what the player and coach are upset about.

If Professor is correct, the whole thing makes sense. I've just never heard of going on an athletic scholarship before signing an LOI.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...early-as-aug-1

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Thanks Don. This is interesting. According to this article this would be the first year that a student could sign early. It has never been available for seniors before the current class.

If State had told him they wanted him to sign early under this new rule he would have reason to gripe. Still too many unknowns though. I'm not sure the coach and player are telling it like it is.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Thanks Don. This is interesting. According to this article this would be the first year that a student could sign early. It has never been available for seniors before the current class.

If State had told him they wanted him to sign early under this new rule he would have reason to gripe. Still too many unknowns though. I'm not sure the coach and player are telling it like it is.
    Early enrollees are nothing new. See Robert Griffin III at Baylor. He enrolled early, and actually ran track as a freshman for Baylor when he was technically supposed to still be a senior in high school that spring.

The problem with this MS State recruit is, they are asking him to "gray shirt", which means they don't want him to enroll at MSU until January 2016, instead of in the fall of 2015. At least that's how I understand it.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Early enrollees are nothing new. See Robert Griffin III at Baylor. He enrolled early, and actually ran track as a freshman for Baylor when he was technically supposed to still be a senior in high school that spring.

The problem with this MS State recruit is, they are asking him to "gray shirt", which means they don't want him to enroll at MSU until January 2016, instead of in the fall of 2015. At least that's how I understand it.
    No early enrollees are nothing new, early enrollees signing a LOI before Febuary are new this year according to the link above. That's been part of the discussion and answered my question.

Asking him to gray shirt does not mean he MUST wait until January 2016. That is the assumption, but nothing I've read says that's what Miss State actually asked him to do. Gray shirt means he is in school, on the roster, but not on scholarship. There is no specific gray shirt period.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Early enrollees can't sign an LOI. They've never been able to, and they still can't. That's actually a good thing for the athletes because the LOI is binding. A scholarship agreement, however, isn't.

Schools are allowed to have 85 players on scholarship at any given time. They can have fewer, but they can't have more. As long as the school has an open scholarship at the start of the second semester, the early enrollee can go on scholarship. Schools can make sure scholarships are available in a number of different ways. They can roll graduating seniors off the scholarship list (while I hate this practice, it's done and has been done in Ruston). They can put early enrollees in place of players who transfer out of the program or are cut prior to the start of the second semester.

I thought it was common knowledge that early enrollees were on scholarship. These big-time recruits (Brandon Harris at LSU and Kyle Allen at A&M are just two off the top of my head in this previous class) aren't paying their own way to enter college early.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Early enrollees can't sign an LOI. They've never been able to, and they still can't. That's actually a good thing for the athletes because the LOI is binding. A scholarship agreement, however, isn't.

Schools are allowed to have 85 players on scholarship at any given time. They can have fewer, but they can't have more. As long as the school has an open scholarship at the start of the second semester, the early enrollee can go on scholarship. Schools can make sure scholarships are available in a number of different ways. They can roll graduating seniors off the scholarship list (while I hate this practice, it's done and has been done in Ruston). They can put early enrollees in place of players who transfer out of the program or are cut prior to the start of the second semester.

I thought it was common knowledge that early enrollees were on scholarship. These big-time recruits (Brandon Harris at LSU and Kyle Allen at A&M are just two off the top of my head in this previous class) aren't paying their own way to enter college early.

It may have been common knowledge, but not legal. Until the new rule (link above) they could not go on scholarship until the LOI paperwork was done. Again, they may have found another way to get them money, but not an athletic scholarship.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

No early enrollees are nothing new, early enrollees signing a LOI before Febuary are new this year according to the link above. That's been part of the discussion and answered my question.

Asking him to gray shirt does not mean he MUST wait until January 2016. That is the assumption, but nothing I've read says that's what Miss State actually asked him to do. Gray shirt means he is in school, on the roster, but not on scholarship. There is no specific gray shirt period.
    Fine. You've got all the answers.:icon_wink:

+ Reply to Thread