+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rice is our Super Bowl!

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Rice is our Super Bowl!

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    Players should have been concentrating in the classroom.

It is unreal the list that will be out soon enough. Holtz will have to explain it. I am sure we will get the same song and dance BS. Just like 2012, a great season just crashes... and for really no reason.
    I agree. There's just a time and place for posting and putting this poor academic showing by certain student athletes and coaching staff's lack of help in this area, if that was possible.

Varsity Bulldog Black is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the roughBlack is a jewel in the rough

I was thinking about how Rice will be our biggest game(not just for winning the west) on the way home from the bball game. 8-4 looks much better than 7-5. Going to a bowl will give some of the younger guys some extra practice, since it seems some starters won't be able to play. So those guys who can't play in the bowl need to play their butts off against Rice.

Champ mildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond reputemildawg has a reputation beyond repute mildawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Actually, that might not be such a bad thing. It will likely FORCE Holtz to play some other players. And after what I saw today, that might not be a bad thing.
    +1000

Champ parisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond reputeparisdog has a reputation beyond repute parisdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    I don't know but the people in charge of making sure the players attend class and actually study should do a better job. The players that don't make grades should be ashamed for letting their teammates down.
    I understand why they do it, because college sports has become such a huge money maker. But this is one of my pet peeves. These college players are so babied that they have to have somebody make sure they are going to class and studying. Why can't they learn responsibility and accountability just like other college students have to? That's why once the glory days of playing football are over, so many of them crash and burn because for all their life up to that point, everything was handed to them.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post

whoa ...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Paris:

That is true of 90%+ of pampered college athletes. And! because it is true, that is another responsibility of the coaches and the staff to monitor. You're right, it shouldn't have to be that way, but it is. So, what we see is another failure on the part of Skippy.

Hell, when I coached soccer in high school, our season began in November and ended in February. After my first year....when I lost 7 starters and 4 other key back-ups to grades! and we got demolished in district play in January/February....new semester starts in January...I became very pro-active with my kids starting when school started in August.

It's the head coach's responsibility...

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Back to the title of this thread....this is not our Super Bowl. It is a regular season game vs. a conference foe who is our peer. Back in 2001, our first year in the WAC, and we won it, we beat Rice and Boazy in back to back home regular season games.

This is "big boy" time, I agree with that. It is "put up or shut up" time, I agree with that. But it is also a conference game. It is Rice....for Pete's sake....not Bama!

Pull up your britches....tie your shoes....and act like an effing football team!

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I thought this was Jackson's job and he had been doing great up until now.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BruceWillisDawg View Post
    If there are several players academically ineligible as of the end of the fall quarter it sounds like we have MUCH worse problems than losing to ODU.
    Well....this board has certainly built it up into a big boogaboo. Good lord, with all the drama I've read here, you would think LA Tech was gonna have to play with only 10 players on each side of the ball.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Paris:

That is true of 90%+ of pampered college athletes. And! because it is true, that is another responsibility of the coaches and the staff to monitor. You're right, it shouldn't have to be that way, but it is. So, what we see is another failure on the part of Skippy.

Hell, when I coached soccer in high school, our season began in November and ended in February. After my first year....when I lost 7 starters and 4 other key back-ups to grades! and we got demolished in district play in January/February....new semester starts in January...I became very pro-active with my kids starting when school started in August.

It's the head coach's responsibility...
    90%+ ?????? Do tell us where you found that "true" statistic.

Check our APR; check the number of graduates. This is not analogous to your high school soccer team. There is a much bigger staff than the head coach; yes, he holds some accountability. As does the AD. But, there are academic advisors within the department. IF--a big if--they aren't doing their jobs, they should be held accountable (by the HC and AD).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    There is a much bigger staff than the head coach; yes, he holds some accountability. As does the AD. But, there are academic advisors within the department. IF--a big if--they aren't doing their jobs, they should be held accountable (by the HC and AD).
    I think the question our fans will have is, why weren't some of our "better" players being checked on more frequently by our HC and AD since there may have been cause for concern?

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I think the question our fans will have is, why weren't some of our "better" players being checked on more frequently by our HC and AD since there may have been cause for concern?
    At least two reasons:

1) they delegate to those who can be trusted (perhaps until they learn they can't?)
    2) federal law--there are limits to legitimate educational interest

Quote Originally Posted by maverick View Post
    90%+ ?????? Do tell us where you found that "true" statistic.

Check our APR; check the number of graduates. This is not analogous to your high school soccer team. There is a much bigger staff than the head coach; yes, he holds some accountability. As does the AD. But, there are academic advisors within the department. IF--a big if--they aren't doing their jobs, they should be held accountable (by the HC and AD).
    Personally, I think it's 100%, but I was giving some the benefit of the doubt figuring surely, at least 1 out of 10 can do for him/herself. And does!

And thanks for making my case for me. You're right Skippy has the benefit of a staff, someone on his staff, plus someone (several) on the AD's staff that try to keep athletes eligible. What he has to do is monitor the situation and make sure those staffers are doing their jobs AND that the players are taking responsibility for themselves.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    Let's just say we had more players today than we will have for our Bowl game. When the fans find out exactly how many didn't make grades this board is going to melt down.
    Why don't you just tell us what is going on instead of talking in code. It makes no sense. If you are ethically unable to, that's fine, but say so. This cryptic messaging is ridiculous. It serves no reasonable purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by parisdog View Post
    How do you protest grades? I've never heard of being able to do that?
    http://www.latech.edu/administration...dures/2217.php

+ Reply to Thread