+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Where does the Rice game rank in terms of most important home game in LaTech history?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Where does the Rice game rank in terms of most important home game in LaTech history?

I realize that the game against Utah State a couple years ago was HUGE! But this one is the second most meaningful home game that I remember. Dykes & Co. $#!+ the bed against the Aggies, so I'm wondering what kind of game Holtz's team plays. I suppose this one could be compared to Boise State back when we won the WAC our first year in the league. I think it's bigger though. How do y'all rank it?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Where does the Rice game rank in terms of most important home game in LaTech hist

NM State game in 2011 for the WAC championship.

I think it feels more like the Colorado St game in 1989 to me. We were under pressure to win that game to go to a bowl game and the game could have gone either way.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Where does the Rice game rank in terms of most important home game in LaTech hist

Quote Originally Posted by boxerdog View Post
    I realize that the game against Utah State a couple years ago was HUGE! But this one is the second most meaningful home game that I remember. Dykes & Co. $#!+ the bed against the Aggies, so I'm wondering what kind of game Holtz's team plays. I suppose this one could be compared to Boise State back when we won the WAC our first year in the league. I think it's bigger though. How do y'all rank it?
    Losing in OT to a top 25 team is not exactly crapping the bed - Saturday was crapping and vomiting in the bed for a full span of 48 hours

This team is very mediocre at best (personnel & coaching wise) and the two losses to huge underdogs have exposed that

It is in the same discussion as the Boise game in 2001 but slightly below it because that was our FIRST year in the WAC and it had extra meaning

To me its more in line with the Nevada and Boise home games to close out the season to go bowling
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

#1 Utah State - most to gain
    #2 Colorado State - program starter
    #3 Boise State - almost clinched WAC (most fun game to watch)
    #4 NMSU Game - 2nd conference championship

I might rank this week's game #5 if I thought we had chance against Marshall.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

No to the 2011 game - this team can't hold that team's jock

That was for an outright title - this game is a chance to play for an outright title

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I'd rank it over the Boise State game mostly because the WAC was really bad that year. It's definitely bigger that the rainy game against NMSU because they were atrocious and this one is against a team that takes the West with a win.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I'd rank it over the Boise State game mostly because the WAC was really bad that year. It's definitely bigger that the rainy game against NMSU because they were atrocious and this one is against a team that takes the West with a win.
    Sorry, but I won't be able to get fired up over this game until we are ahead by 35 in the 4th. Last week exposed us.

Champ BruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud ofBruceWillisDawg has much to be proud of

Biggest and most meaningfull home game in years. Though we lost last week it is GREAT to be in this position. Hopefully fans will come out and support our team. I remember CSU game well - with a bowl bid on the line all 14k of us witnessed one of the best games ever in the Joe.

Still not seeing our adminstration pull out "all stops" to promote this game. If there is ever a game that we need to take a page from ULM (free general admission tics to kids and cheap for adults) THIS IS THE ONE. Maybe our AD will get the message before Saturday.

If we can generate an extra 5-6K above what is expected (around 15K) I would deemed that a success.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

I agree that these are the Top 5 games in Ruston since I've been following Tech (25 years). Playing and beating #18 Fresno St was probably #6. Tim Rattay vs Dante Culpepper was probably #7, imo. Those 2 just didn't mean as much though.

Disagree - especially on the NMST game, this is NOT for a conference championship

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

This is the MOST important game in Tech history! Ask any coach worth his salt, and he'll tell you the most important game is the NEXT ONE!

All those others are forever confined to the pages of history. Can't do anything about those. But, this Rice game is ripe for the taking. Onward and upward!

Go Dawgs....Beat the Birdies!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Tech is 3-3 against Rice in the modern era (2-1 in Ruston and 1-2 in Houston), but 3-4 in the all-time series (counting a 1965 loss in Houston).

A win on Saturday would even the all-time series, and tip the modern series in Tech's favor.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

As resident old fart I am going to restrict this to recent years and by-pay div 2 play. Will not include huge wins ( 2 alabama, ole miss, miss state --unexpected wins). 1. beating Boise and winning WAC- rationale, proved we belong with big boys. we were big longshots. bowl game against Clemson was not good ( Boise coach 1.4 million-athle budget 44 mil
    2. Tulsa game in Tulsa--without that win we do not win conference championship --HUGE underrated victory
    3. Nevada win. Poinsetta bowl reps there to award WAC champions invite to San Diego-- we did exactly what OD did to us, somehow found way to win
    4. Poinsetta Bowl -- we were heavy underdogs and found way to take game to the wire-- TCU has shot at final 4 this yrs, great program
    5. Last 2 games of 2012 -- chance to finish WAC with title and bowl -- dark times for die hards

I did not restrict to home games and I got feeling I left something out -- THIS Rice game is huge, we need it for team and fans, last 2 years have been tough --winning western title, decent bowl and shot at championship -- we need this!!

If they manage to win and stave off Rice, it will go down in Tech lore as one of the top 10 home games...

If they lose - this two game slide could possibly go down as the worse collapse in Tech football history - considering it was against a transitional FCS team and a weak Rice team, not Top 25 teams like USU and SJSU in 2012

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post

no problem with your picks but both Nevada and Tulsa wins cleared way for WAC --without those wins we are not champs -- NEW MEXICO has been one of worst programs in America for years ... Nevada was not.

+ Reply to Thread