+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Holtz and close games

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Re: Holtz and close games

Quote Originally Posted by gabzooks View Post
    Same can be said for W/L records in general, yet coaches are still held to the results as to hiring, contract negotiations, and firings. There'll always be a syndicate of folks attributing losses primarily to peripheral and correlating factors other than the head coach. And there'll be those that contend "the buck stops there, at the head coach." Over time, we'll see if the trend in close games persists -- regardless of player personnel. I'm presently persuaded that it will.
    I'm in complete agreement. The buck does stop with Skip, or any other head coach. Head coaches have to put their teams in positions to win, regardless of player output, or their job won't last long.

Kind of interesting to note:

Holtz's career W/L record in close games: 33-26 (win % of 0.559)

Louisiana Tech's W/L record in close games since 1995, regardless of coach: 42-33 (win % of 0.560)

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

. I think it's compelling conversation.
    Not really

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

Close games are won by the Offense. If you can grind it out on the ground great but we have shown this year that doesn't work. Need to run play action out of the run formation with short to medium passes. I only see play action when we are going to throw the bomb to Henderson. While I do like the bomb, not very high percentage. Fullback in the flat, tight end on a curl those are going to be open. The receivers will be in tight man so not out patterns unless you want to lose. A screen pass to the fullback or tight end. Once we no longer have Dixon, hopefully 2016, we will be much harder to defend. Not hard to guess who's getting the ball in crunch time right now.

Also, I wish they would give Higgins some reps in the HOD. We need to see if he has fixed his 3 to 4 WTF passes a game.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Not really
    You do not get the point--these guys would much rather whine about obsolete statistics than join in the joy and fun of preparing for Bowl game. If we had not been invited to bowl they would have been all over that thread. I am reminded of the Dursly character in Harry Potter -- wants more gifts-- 46-21 45-17 55-3 59-10 40-31 76-31. ( i agree with you CHC

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cscollis View Post
    Close games are won by the Offense. If you can grind it out on the ground great but we have shown this year that doesn't work. Need to run play action out of the run formation with short to medium passes. I only see play action when we are going to throw the bomb to Henderson. While I do like the bomb, not very high percentage. Fullback in the flat, tight end on a curl those are going to be open. The receivers will be in tight man so not out patterns unless you want to lose. A screen pass to the fullback or tight end. Once we no longer have Dixon, hopefully 2016, we will be much harder to defend. Not hard to guess who's getting the ball in crunch time right now.

Also, I wish they would give Higgins some reps in the HOD. We need to see if he has fixed his 3 to 4 WTF passes a game.
    I hope Holtz can recruit a true TE that is a threat at receiver. That's one thing that's missing from our offense.

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    You do not get the point--these guys would much rather whine about obsolete statistics than join in the joy and fun of preparing for Bowl game. If we had not been invited to bowl they would have been all over that thread. I am reminded of the Dursly character in Harry Potter -- wants more gifts-- 46-21 45-17 55-3 59-10 40-31 76-31. ( i agree with you CHC
    Whining? Come on, you can do better than that, 65. (You remind me of a different HP character)
    Three close losses don't disparage the whole year, though, I'll grant you that. Three close losses -- against, imo, lesser opponents -- cost us an even greater year. Had we handled the close games better, even more joy. Hardly asking for the world.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Whining? Come on, you can do better than that, 65. (You remind me of a different HP character)
    Three close losses don't disparage the whole year, though, I'll grant you that. Three close losses -- against, imo, lesser opponents -- cost us an even greater year. Had we handled the close games better, even more joy. Hardly asking for the world.
    ok-- please note that on regular basis I refer to myself as idiot, subject to dimentia and absolutely do not take myself seriously-- for anyone offended that I pointed out they were whining, I apologize. OOps , screwed up again, I apologize for inferring anyone on BBB ever whines... Now I sound like Gruber testifying before congress today-- he is idiot who called Americans stupid ( Obamas guy on "affordable health care") -- just take my posts with a lot of salt -- think of me as the half senile grandpa who is totally out of touch with todays world

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I hope Holtz can recruit a true TE that is a threat at receiver. That's one thing that's missing from our offense.
    how about a tight end who can punt 45 yards, that all I ask 45 frigging yards with hang time

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    how about a tight end who can punt 45 yards, that all I ask 45 frigging yards with hang time
    I guess if we're wishing, can he be 6'6, 260 and run a true 4.4 40? Have hands like Rice and be as tough as Csonka.

Administrator DocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond reputeDocMarvin362 has a reputation beyond repute DocMarvin362's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    Any 6'6" 250 lb Basketball players that Coach White doesn't want?? Seems to work in the NFL!!

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by DocMarvin362 View Post
    Any 6'6" 250 lb Basketball players that Coach White doesn't want?? Seems to work in the NFL!!
    Boxerdog tried to encourage CJ and Anderson at the end of last season.

+ Reply to Thread