+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Do we have a shot at the AAC if the Big 12 expands?

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Re: Do we have a shot at the AAC if the Big 12 expands?

I was at our final game against SMU in Dallas and had my radio on. As Tech pummeled the Mustangs on the field their radio announcers were proclaiming their glee that they would soon not be in the same conference with such a Podunk school as Tech.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I hate Tulane. Could care less about ECU and Tulsa. I love were we are but also concede that if you aren't moving up you are dying.

Champ JuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond reputeJuBru has a reputation beyond repute JuBru's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    I was at our final game against SMU in Dallas and had my radio on. As Tech pummeled the Mustangs on the field their radio announcers were proclaiming their glee that they would soon not be in the same conference with such a Podunk school as Tech.
    Shouldn't expect anything less from SMU people. They rival Ivy League grads in their delusional snobbiness, imo.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

No love for SMU and it's 5 season ticket holders. That being said I want to stay in a conference with as many SWC teams as possible. Rice, SMU and Houston are alway preferred Conference mates to me.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    Good thing SMU's radio announcers don't sit on the AAC Board of Directors or chair the membership committee. Boise State got the WAC invite so the WAC could get a tie-in to the Humanitarian Bowl. The last spot in the WAC came down to Tech and NMSU after they quietly rejected Utah State, Idaho, North Texas, Arkansas State, and ULL. SMU's Prez lobbied for Tech and NMSU over the others because he said we would help best build the WAC's national reputation. Tech got the invite over NMSU due to geography (Las Cruces too close to UTEP). And he's still SMU's prez today.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 12-20-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Good thing SMU's radio announcers don't sit on the AAC Board of Directors or chair the membership committee. Boise State got the WAC invite so the WAC could get a tie-in to the Humanitarian Bowl. The last spot in the WAC came down to Tech and NMSU after they quietly rejected Utah State, Idaho, North Texas, Arkansas State, and ULL. SMU's Prez lobbied for Tech and NMSU over the others because he said we would help best build the WAC's national reputation. Tech got the invite over NMSU due to geography (Las Cruces too close to UTEP). And he's still SMU's prez today.
    I would be thrilled if we got an invite.
    Good old Memorial Gym

We are gonna need three more years similar to this year. By that I mean division titles, championship game appearances, big bowl games and solid MBB seasons. Not losing to to ULL in basketball, and NSU in football

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Okay, compared to UState, Idaho, NTexas, AState,NMexSt and uslull, yes, Tech had/has a better national reputation. Didja hear the C-USA's talking heads on their weekly show when Marshall beat Tech for the championship? They were all over themselves justifying Marshall's win being a great one cuz of Tech's reputation . . .

So, long story short, of course Smoo's prez was for Tech. But in the long run . . . . . .don't think so.
    Last edited by Dawgpix; 12-21-2014 at 05:39 PM.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    bet
    Okay, compared to UState, Idaho, NTexas, AState,NMexSt and uslull, yes, Tech had/has a better national reputation. Didja hear the C-USA's talking heads on their weekly show when Marshall beat Tech for the championship? They were all over themselves justifying Marshall's win being a great one cuz of Tech's reputation . . .

So, long story short, of course Smoo's prez was for Tech. But in the long run . . . . . .don't think so.
    One school would have SMU's support for AAC membership before Tech and that would be Rice. We would have their support for any opening past that. Reneau is long-time friend of their president, and even after his retirement he will have a say in what happens on their campus. Also, SMU was our biggest ally in our attempt to get into CUSA in 2004.

I know some of you don't want to believe this, but Tech has been selling itself for so long on so many levels when it come to realignment that we've actually convinced leaders at other schools of our worth as a possible addition to other leagues.
    Last edited by The Historian; 12-21-2014 at 08:29 AM.

Champ The Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond reputeThe Historian has a reputation beyond repute

Correct. All you have to do is look at Tech and NMSU's academics compared to the rest and you will see why SMU lobbied for these two.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Every conference, and every school, is looking out for its own best interest. When a conference needs to go looking for new members, they will take the best available, even if they classify it as "taking the lessor of the "evils"", and if that is how Tech gets invited over some other schools....so be it. Can't make certain prezzes at certain schools like us, if they don't.

Focus on what you have control of. Build Tech and its programs and its facilities and keep pushing forward.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Every conference, and every school, is looking out for its own best interest. When a conference needs to go looking for new members, they will take the best available, even if they classify it as "taking the lessor of the "evils"", and if that is how Tech gets invited over some other schools....so be it. Can't make certain prezzes at certain schools like us, if they don't.

Focus on what you have control of. Build Tech and its programs and its facilities and keep pushing forward.
    I totally agree with you, but I wish our own fans and alumni would stop thinking of us as "lesser". We have a bigger name than most realize and our facilities (while needing improvement) are getting better and better. We are no longer that "lesser" program. Academics and athletics are far and above most G5 programs and better than many P5 ones.

My point is that we need to get over that "poor pitiful us" and start thinking of ourselves as a rising power. Perception is everything and we need to give off that vibe!

That definitely wasn't pointed at your post, Dawg80. I understand your point about other Presidents. I just wanted to remark about our own self image and how we project. Our name is known and becoming more known every day. We are a catch for a conference like the AAC. We should be shooting higher that that, though. Take what we can get now, but as you stated, keep pushing forward. Use TCU as an example.

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I totally agree with you, but I wish our own fans and alumni would stop thinking of us as "lesser". We have a bigger name than most realize and our facilities (while needing improvement) are getting better and better. We are no longer that "lesser" program. Academics and athletics are far and above most G5 programs and better than many P5 ones.

My point is that we need to get over that "poor pitiful us" and start thinking of ourselves as a rising power. Perception is everything and we need to give off that vibe!

That definitely wasn't pointed at your post, Dawg80. I understand your point about other Presidents. I just wanted to remark about our own self image and how we project. Our name is known and becoming more known every day. We are a catch for a conference like the AAC. We should be shooting higher that that, though. Take what we can get now, but as you stated, keep pushing forward. Use TCU as an example.
    Good post, Champion110.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Champ:

You guys in Texas, like HD and others, are always posting that Tech has a better reputation there, and in other states. But, for those of us in the ole home state, we get an earful of bashing about how we are no better than Nicholls, and others....

I know Tech has surged ahead in so MANY areas, and there is separation. But, I also know it isn't a huge gap and the state legislature (ala UAB) could pull some political shenanigans.

Anyway, we just have to keep on, keeping on!

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Ask any sports fan in Canada how many NCAA schools they can name in Louisiana and most will say two. Tech and the school in BR.

+ Reply to Thread