+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happens now that it is "next man up"?

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

LaTech What happens now that it is "next man up"?

Everyone knows that six Tech players were ruled academically ineligible and won't be playing in the HOD Bowl. What are the ripple effects of that? Will Tech need to burn any red shirts as a result in order to have depth at the positions effected? I've heard of something called a "scout team" but I'm not sure of exactly what that is. Is it similar to the practice squad in the NFL or something else? Are players on the scout team regular players on the team? What impact do the ineligible players have on the scout team?

Without saying anything that might help Illinois prepare for the bowl, does anyone have any insight into how the "next man up" players are becoming acclimated to the team? I am hopeful that the OL is gelling so that Sokol doesn’t get hit, hit, and hit again.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Re: What happens now that it is "next man up"?

We should be just fine with the next in line after am extra month of practice

Big Dog TruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the roughTruDawg is a jewel in the rough TruDawg's Avatar

Yeah, it's basically the same scenario as the Marshall game. We have adequate backups who will fill the holes even better this time around with a month of practice. No redshirts should be burned and I would expect our coaching staff to prepare our guys so that you don't notice a difference.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Different question......

Do those deemed academically ineligible get any of the bowl benefits? Does the NCAA ban them from attending game and events, receiving gifts, or other? Honestly, I would hope Holtz requires they stay home even if the rules don't require it.

Varsity Bulldog dawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nicedawg gone it is just really nice dawg gone it's Avatar

I thought our backups played pretty well against Marshall. With an extra month of practice they should be fine. What hurt us the most that game was Sokol not being able to throw in the rain (still wish he would've played without the glove), our punter keeping Marshall in scoring range the entire game (why you would depend on a rugby bounce kind of punt on a soggy wet field I will never know), and our offensive play calling. Hopefully with better weather in Dallas and a month to prepare, we won't repeat these same mistakes

Champ kw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud ofkw2292 has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Different question......

Do those deemed academically ineligible get any of the bowl benefits? Does the NCAA ban them from attending game and events, receiving gifts, or other? Honestly, I would hope Holtz requires they stay home even if the rules don't require it.
    Do we lock them up in the dungeon under Wyly? Stay home seems a little harsh. I doubt they will be traveling with the team, but if they want to go watch those their friends and teammates play I hardly see any way he could stop them. I certainly hope they take steps to limit these things in the future though.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

The six can buy their tickets at the Tech ticket office.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    We should be just fine with the next in line after am extra month of practice
    feel the same way -- not like they have not been around for at least 13 games so far -- just hope weather holds up--- our biggest advantage against northern teams has always been our speed --

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kw2292 View Post
    Do we lock them up in the dungeon under Wyly? Stay home seems a little harsh. I doubt they will be traveling with the team, but if they want to go watch those their friends and teammates play I hardly see any way he could stop them. I certainly hope they take steps to limit these things in the future though.
    Coach Holtz said this was "learning experience" for him-- he seemed genuinely surprised that 6 players had let team down -- got a feeling he will have new system in place for monoriting grades next yr ( hope he stays)

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I doubt they will travel with the team and be able to participate in the bowl events for the team. But if they want to buy a ticket and watch the game in the stands - then I'm sure that would be okay. But I'm thinking they are probably trying to fly under the radar at the moment and probably won't be at the game.

I believe it would be possible to not earn six credits, but only be on academic probation according to school rules, so it is possible that at least some of them are in school trying to get back on track academically. I don't know what the rules are about athletic scholarships, so they might would have to pay their own way, which I'm guessing most would be unable to do. If they are only on academic probation, then they might be able to qualify for other types of financial aid. I hope there is some way that they are able to continue on in college if that is what they would like to do in order to obtain a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by dawg gone it View Post
    I thought our backups played pretty well against Marshall. With an extra month of practice they should be fine. What hurt us the most that game was Sokol not being able to throw in the rain (still wish he would've played without the glove), our punter keeping Marshall in scoring range the entire game (why you would depend on a rugby bounce kind of punt on a soggy wet field I will never know), and our offensive play calling. Hopefully with better weather in Dallas and a month to prepare, we won't repeat these same mistakes
    I watched the Rice game three times, but have been unable to make myself watch the Marshall game again to see what went wrong. I know the pocket Sokol had for the Rice game was not there for the Marshall game - perhaps because of the new starters on the O-Line.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think you go that far. If they want to buy tickets and pay their own way out there that is fine. I just don't think they should accompany the team out there. A little harsh, maybe. After all, they helped us get there. However, I not sure how things work in other work environments, but I only ge my bonus money if I am still working when bonus money is divied out. They won't mail me a check if I quit 2 weeks early, even though I helped earn that money for everyone.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    Everyone knows that six Tech players were ruled academically ineligible and won't be playing in the HOD Bowl. What are the ripple effects of that? Will Tech need to burn any red shirts as a result in order to have depth at the positions effected? I've heard of something called a "scout team" but I'm not sure of exactly what that is. Is it similar to the practice squad in the NFL or something else? Are players on the scout team regular players on the team? What impact do the ineligible players have on the scout team?

Without saying anything that might help Illinois prepare for the bowl, does anyone have any insight into how the "next man up" players are becoming acclimated to the team? I am hopeful that the OL is gelling so that Sokol doesn’t get hit, hit, and hit again.
    With all due respect, if you do not know that the "scout team" is the unit of regular players who portray the upcoming opponents offense and defense each week of practice for the two deep, then . . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    With all due respect, if you do not know that the "scout team" is the unit of regular players who portray the upcoming opponents offense and defense each week of practice for the two deep, then . . . .

Are you sure?? I always thought they were kids who wore shirts with badges and they sold popcorn as fundraiser.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Are you sure?? I always thought they were kids who wore shirts with badges and they sold popcorn as fundraiser.
    You've been wasting your thought cells . . .
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread