+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What happens now that it is "next man up"?

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Re: What happens now that it is "next man up"?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    With all due respect, if you do not know that the "scout team" is the unit of regular players who portray the upcoming opponents offense and defense each week of practice for the two deep, then . . . .
    Makes me wonder if I am due any respect at all. But my question is not really as dumb or stupid as it might first appear. What made me even wonder about it has been talk of having a practice squad of men that play against women's teams in basketball during practice, and notations that I have seen listed on the roster for football players. I have noticed that several have "SQ" for squad. http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m...ootbl-mtt.html

When looking at some of the players, there are notations such as "Did not play ... Member of the scout squad." http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m...on_913735.html

So, even though I know that teams try to replicate in practice how the upcoming opponents play so they know how to defend it or score against it, I didn't/don't know if there are maximum roster sizes for "regular" players that can be supplemented by other players. With all the talk of red shirt, gray shirt, green shirt, walk-on, etc. it is hard to keep up with everything. So, I figured I'd get some help from someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject. I'm just saying...

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    Coach Holtz said this was "learning experience" for him-- he seemed genuinely surprised that 6 players had let team down -- got a feeling he will have new system in place for monoriting grades next yr ( hope he stays)

Hope who stays ..... HCSH?

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    With all due respect, if you do not know that the "scout team" is the unit of regular players who portray the upcoming opponents offense and defense each week of practice for the two deep, then . . . .
    Seems to me that you didn't show any respect. Why be snarky when someone is asking questions to learn? Disappointed in you, T-Mo.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Fan View Post
    Makes me wonder if I am due any respect at all. But my question is not really as dumb or stupid as it might first appear. What made me even wonder about it has been talk of having a practice squad of men that play against women's teams in basketball during practice, and notations that I have seen listed on the roster for football players. I have noticed that several have "SQ" for squad. http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m...ootbl-mtt.html

When looking at some of the players, there are notations such as "Did not play ... Member of the scout squad." http://www.latechsports.com/sports/m...on_913735.html

So, even though I know that teams try to replicate in practice how the upcoming opponents play so they know how to defend it or score against it, I didn't/don't know if there are maximum roster sizes for "regular" players that can be supplemented by other players. With all the talk of red shirt, gray shirt, green shirt, walk-on, etc. it is hard to keep up with everything. So, I figured I'd get some help from someone more knowledgeable than me on the subject. I'm just saying...
    Quote Originally Posted by girldawg View Post
    Seems to me that you didn't show any respect. Why be snarky when someone is asking questions to learn? Disappointed in you, T-Mo.
    I guess we need a "snarky" emoticom. I swear I used a wink after the first post. But I guess I didn't.

Squadmen, walk-ons, redshirts, gray shirts, transfers can all be on a "scout squad". They have been around for more 45 years of my former HS playing days, HS, college or pro.

Notables on last year's Tech team included Paul Turner and Michael Mims (voted "scout team member of the year").

So, there, you know as much as I do.. . just a few snarky hours later.

Everybody happy?
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ girldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud ofgirldawg has much to be proud of

Thanks, Dawgpix! Much better!!

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone knows that six Tech players were ruled academically ineligible and won't be playing in the HOD Bowl. What are the ripple effects of that? Will Tech need to burn any red shirts as a result in order to have depth at the positions effected? I've heard of something called a "scout team" but I'm not sure of exactly what that is. Is it similar to the practice squad in the NFL or something else? Are players on the scout team regular players on the team? What impact do the ineligible players have on the scout team?

Without saying anything that might help Illinois prepare for the bowl, does anyone have any insight into how the "next man up" players are becoming acclimated to the team? I am hopeful that the OL is gelling so that Sokol doesn’t get hit, hit, and hit again.
    If Holtz were to burn a red shirt in a bowl game, unless it was a national championship, then he would be a bigger idiot than anyone on this board has ever portrayed him to be.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    If Holtz were to burn a red shirt in a bowl game, unless it was a national championship, then he would be a bigger idiot than anyone on this board has ever portrayed him to be.
    Fact

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Or! a coach trying to attract the attention of a bigger school by winning a bowl game this year, and following up with another good season, and who has no plans to be around for a 4th year of some kid anyway....

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I agree that burning a red shirt in a bowl game wouldn't make much sense, but many believe that burning Marlon Watt's redshirt in the UTSA game was a dumb move. He only had 9 receptions in three games after that - not exactly a game changer.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I agree that burning a red shirt in a bowl game wouldn't make much sense, but many believe that burning Marlon Watt's redshirt in the UTSA game was a dumb move. He only had 9 receptions in three games after that - not exactly a game changer.
    One rumor had Mr. Watts ready to move away from LaTech if he didn't get immediate PT.

The lack of use of Conner Smith was a head scratcher too.

+ Reply to Thread