+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Football. Louisiana Tech Places Five on All-Louisiana Football Teams - latechsports.c

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Football. Louisiana Tech Places Five on All-Louisiana Football Teams - latechspor

When I lived in Pineville from 1978-83, the Alexandria Town Talk would only write negative articles about Tech. The only article I ever remember them writing about a Tech athlete was one about Jimmy Blackshire quitting the football team before his senior year. Had Blackshire played today, he would have been a 5-star recruit and he could have gone anywhere. The Town Talk sports editor was really pissed because he didn't go to LSU. I'll never forget that headline of the article about the Superbowl when Bradshaw got his second MVP, "Vince Ferragamo to be the Next Great NFL QB". Nothing at all in the article about Bradshaw getting the MVP. They covered LSU and NSU and that was it. If the paper is still run by the same people, I feel sure they wouldn't let one of it's writers vote for Tech or a Tech athlete for anything.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Re: Football. Louisiana Tech Places Five on All-Louisiana Football Teams - latechspor

The Town Talk reports on Northwestern State, LSU, Louisiana College, and the Saints. That is it!!!!!!

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Now you are just being silly. There's not a person on this board that doesn't know as much about football as a small town, wannabe journalist in one of the smallest markets in America.

My posts have never been an indictment on FCS players. My posts have strictly criticized your "sports journalist" fraternity for not doing their homework before making a very foolish vote. When I look at Brian Bennett's 2014 performance, I see nothing special. In fact, I see a very average QB.

In a head to head stat comparison, Cody Sokol wins in every material category:

2014 Passing Yards - Sokol wins 3,436 yds vs 2,357 yds
    Touchdown Passes - Sokol wins 30 TD's vs 18 TD's
    Passing Completion Per Centage - Sokol wins 58% vs 49.5%
    2014 QB Rating - Sokol wins 139 vs 133
    Final 2104 Team Record - Both QB's finished with 9 wins

Again, by almost any measure, Sokol wins the QB battle in a landslide. Compound Sokol's "head to head" advantage with the fact that Sokol's numbers were compiled against a MUCH higher level of competition (regardless of what you think of NSU and FCS players), and it's a no brainer. Even for some of you guys that don't have a brain. Voting Bennett ahead of Sokol is indefensible.
    You criticize me as a "wannabe journalist" (which is hilarious since you have a journalism degree and aren't using it) and then put down my football knowledge, yet you can't even spell Bryan Bennett's name correctly.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 70TECHGRAD View Post
    The Town Talk reports on Northwestern State, LSU, Louisiana College, and the Saints. That is it!!!!!!
    Somebody hasn't been reading lately. You missed some pretty good Tech coverage. There weren't a lot of Cenla ties to this year's roster, unfortunately, but we ran big stories on both Le'Vander Liggins and Houston Bates in recent weeks. We had good coverage of the Heart of Dallas Bowl win as well as coverage up to the game. I know I've personally done stories through the years on local guys playing at Tech, including Liggins and D'Anthony Smith.

But, yes, since we are located in Central Louisiana, most of our coverage relates to our local high schools and colleges (NSU, LC and LSUA) as well as the state's two biggest teams, LSU and the Saints. None of us here may like LSU (well, I'm sure there are a few who root for the Tiggers), but the numbers bear out that stories about LSU are the most well-read not only in our region but at all of our papers throughout the state.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    You criticize me as a "wannabe journalist" (which is hilarious since you have a journalism degree and aren't using it) and then put down my football knowledge, yet you can't even spell Bryan Bennett's name correctly.
    It's hard to sell this BS with this comparison anyway you spell it or yt:

n a head to head stat comparison, Cody Sokol wins in every material category:

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    It's hard to sell this BS with this comparison anyway you spell it or yt:

n a head to head stat comparison, Cody Sokol wins in every material category:

Again, I voted for Cody Sokol as my first-team QB. In fact, I didn't even vote for Bryan Bennett on second team. Just getting that out of the way ...

I've just tried to give some perspective on what I think happened. I was but one of 33 voters on this poll, some of which were hated sportswriters like myself and others of which were beloved SIDs. You want to judge? Fine. I judged too!

One thing working against Cody was the fact that Bryan Bennett was the reigning first-team QB from the 2013 All-Louisiana team. Whether or not it should, that plays a role. He earned the spot -- rightfully -- in 2013, so many voters, I'm sure, put him back there in 2014. One reason I didn't vote for him for first or second team was that I thought he wasn't as good in 2014. He passed for fewer yards and TDs. However, he was the Southland Conference Player of the Year for the second straight season. He also led his team in rushing and scored 15 rushing TDs. He was a true dual-threat QB, which is something that didn't get pointed out in HD's head-to-head comparison. He owns the Southeastern career rushing TD record -- in just two seasons, as a QB. This is a guy who battled head to head with the Heisman Trophy winner, Marcus Mariota, for the Oregon QB job before transferring to Southeastern. He's extremely talented, and a very good QB.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I voted for Cody Sokol as my first-team QB.
    I read that you voted for Sokol as newcomer of the year but the SLU QB as 1st team. So, you did right.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Journalism degree? Now you're just in the gutter all by yourself. I also have an MBA. I chose to use it instead. You might try it sometimes.....oh wait....you don't.....never mind..

You keep trying to make this about me personally. That shows desperation. I simply laid out the "head-to-head" facts and stats for you.

I can't spell Bennett's name because he's truly THAT unimportant.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-05-2015 at 10:11 AM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

He was a true dual-threat QB, which is something that didn't get pointed out in HD's head-to-head comparison. He owns the Southeastern career rushing TD record -- in just two seasons, as a QB. This is a guy who battled head to head with the Heisman Trophy winner, Marcus Mariota, for the Oregon QB job before transferring to Southeastern.
    ......Afterall, Southeastern Louisiana has such a long and glorious football tradition and history as a football powerhouse.

As usual, it's obvious that your fraternity (again, I never made this about you, but rather your fraternity of "sports journalists") was more enamored with the fact that he was a transfer from the "University of Oregon" than his actual performance. I can hear 'em now, "well, he's GOT to be good if Oregon recruited and signed him".

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ......Afterall, Southeastern Louisiana has such a long and glorious football tradition and history as a football powerhouse.

As usual, it's obvious that your fraternity (again, I never made this about you, but rather your fraternity of "sports journalists") was more enamored with the fact that he was a transfer from the "University of Oregon" than his actual performance. I can hear 'em now, "well, he's GOT to be good if Oregon recruited and signed him".
    Serious question: How many times have you watched Bryan Bennett play? I don't have to guess if he's good because he's an Oregon transfer. I watched him play.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder why sportswriters don't often post on open boards....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    I wonder why sportswriters don't often post on open boards....
    There are a bunch of different reasons, I'm sure. I'm a big believer in transparency, so I'm not afraid to discuss things with people. I believe I'm a level-headed, realistic person. Many people believe I'm pessimistic. However, the main reason I post on BB&B, quite frankly, is I've been doing it a lot longer than I've been a sportswriter. I bleed Bulldog blue, and I'm not ashamed of that.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

There are a bunch of different reasons, I'm sure. I'm a big believer in transparency, so I'm not afraid to discuss things with people. I believe I'm a level-headed, realistic person. Many people believe I'm pessimistic. However, the main reason I post on BB&B, quite frankly, is I've been doing it a lot longer than I've been a sportswriter. I bleed Bulldog blue, and I'm not ashamed of that.
    I was tongue-in-cheek talking about how we rip you on it. Tech fans also have more reason to hate sportswriters than most, but I appreciate transparency despite our differing options (Im also quite respectful of your willingness to take crap for it).

+ Reply to Thread