+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: UAB's already getting plundered

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: UAB's already getting plundered

Quote Originally Posted by Champ967 View Post
    TT tells me they are both related to end times prophecy, along with his underpants.
    Nah, the "end times" will soil your underpants.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Y'all want to return a game to GaState?
    Never said that. What we need is a 6th home game. Ga St now has an open away game. If we need to negotiate a home & home to get it, traveling to Atlanta wouldn't be the end of the world and much more desirable than playing a Louisiana FCS school in my humble opinion.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    Never said that. What we need is a 6th home game. Ga St now has an open away game. If we need to negotiate a home & home to get it, traveling to Atlanta wouldn't be the end of the world and much more desirable than playing a Louisiana FCS school in my humble opinion.
    Like I asked earlier. You would rather travel to Atlanta to play a Sunbelt team than to play Nichols or SLU in Ruston? We don't need a home and home with a Sunbelt team.

Varsity Bulldog Exes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really niceExes&Ohs is just really nice

I dont know how many of us realize it but our athletic funding is going to take a big hit from the state in the near future. I dont care any more about GA State or whoever it might be but in looking at just this past year our biggest crowd and most likely highest ticket sale game was against NW State. Nationally, worldwide, or whatever it would make no difference if we played any or all of them. What we need is a money stream which now, regardless of whether we like it or not, these NW State or even (I close my eyes when saying this) the school to our East will bring more PAID customers through the gate. Does not make any difference how many fans we take there, its how many fans show up at OUR place and BUY A TICKET. Ga State or NW State, makes no difference nationally but locally NW State means a ton of money more in our kitty

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Exes&Ohs View Post
    I dont know how many of us realize it but our athletic funding is going to take a big hit from the state in the near future. I dont care any more about GA State or whoever it might be but in looking at just this past year our biggest crowd and most likely highest ticket sale game was against NW State. Nationally, worldwide, or whatever it would make no difference if we played any or all of them. What we need is a money stream which now, regardless of whether we like it or not, these NW State or even (I close my eyes when saying this) the school to our East will bring more PAID customers through the gate. Does not make any difference how many fans we take there, its how many fans show up at OUR place and BUY A TICKET. Ga State or NW State, makes no difference nationally but locally NW State means a ton of money more in our kitty
    The one factor to remember about the NSU game attendance was that it was the "Tech Time Out" weekend and many of the tickets were given away free to potential students and their parents. It increased the attendance figure but didn't increase the coffers.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Like I asked earlier. You would rather travel to Atlanta to play a Sunbelt team than to play Nichols or SLU in Ruston? We don't need a home and home with a Sunbelt team.
    In a perfect world, the 1st home game of this next year would be with a P5 team and we would already be promoting it as the 'Grand Opening' of the SEZ!!!! We have had that project approved for about 4 years, so if that is not enough time to plan for a BIG EVENT, I don't know how long our school needs. However, I still think that playing a FBS team trumps playing a FCS team,, especially one from Louisiana. We already have a school from Louisiana coming to Ruston next season, - why dilute the product with another one?

Secondly, I am not advocating signing a home & home with a Sunbelt, but rather finding us a good 6th home game. I think if we could work it out with Ga St to come to Ruston next season to help us open the SEZ, then maybe we can negotiate with them for a return trip down the road - it doesn't look like we will need any away games for at least 2 more season hence, so we are talking long term. Additionally, I just think we wait until the last minute and take what is available, when TMc should have been planning for this game starting the day after he showed up in Ruston. Now he has to take what is available and my point was that Ga State is available or was the day the UAB closed their program, as was So Alabama, although other schools most likely are already having the conversations with them. I just thought that Ga State was an easy choice and a good chance for a W, based on this year. Bringing in a FCS team, at this point, does not assure us a W, neither does a bowl team like So Alabama (don't get me wrong I like our chances, but.....)

MD, why don't you offer an idea, rather than shoot down everyone else's???? You seem to be 'in the know' what can we do to assure ourselves a 6th home game??? If it is playing a FCS team from Louisiana and that is our best option, then let's hear your thoughts.

Cheers

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BRDawg81 View Post
    The one factor to remember about the NSU game attendance was that it was the "Tech Time Out" weekend and many of the tickets were given away free to potential students and their parents. It increased the attendance figure but didn't increase the coffers.
    Still going to be more over two years than a home and home.

However, I still think that playing a FBS team trumps playing a FCS team,, especially one from Louisiana. We already have a school from Louisiana coming to Ruston next season, - why dilute the product with another one?

Secondly, I am not advocating signing a home & home with a Sunbelt, but rather finding us a good 6th home game. I think if we could work it out with Ga St to come to Ruston next season to help us open the SEZ, then maybe we can negotiate with them for a return trip down the road - it doesn't look like we will need any away games for at least 2 more season hence, so we are talking long term.

If we play a home game against any FBS school next year, then we will be returning the trip sooner or later. That is advocating for a home and home.

That's not the end of the world, and it's a valid option to be debated, but that's what you're advocating.

Allow me to choose my verbiage more carefully:

I am advocating for a 6th home game next season.
    I prefer a FBS team over a FCS team, especially one from Louisiana.
    I would be okay with signing a return game even with a Sunbelt school down the road, if we can get a 6th game and not settle for just 5 like we did this past season.

Cheers!

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Allow me to choose my verbiage more carefully:

I am advocating for a 6th home game next season.
    I prefer a FBS team over a FCS team, especially one from Louisiana.
    I would be okay with signing a return game even with a Sunbelt school down the road, if we can get a 6th game and not settle for just 5 like we did this past season.

Cheers!
    I agree with all of this.

But if scheduling a home-and-home with a Belt institution, though not our first choice, is acceptable .... then why not northeast? Such a series would a) allow most Tech fans attend the return game; b) generate local interest and boost attendance; and c) shut them the hell up for another 5-10 years.

If playing northeast is still unacceptable, however, then let's just take all the other Belt programs off the table. Because they will all require a return game, but none of the others can deliver the local benefits that playing northeast will.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that today's Tech students were still sleeping in pull-ups the last time we played the injunhawks. And I believe every generation of Tech students should, as a birthright, get to see their Dawgs beat the snot outta northeast.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

But if scheduling a home-and-home with a Belt institution, though not our first choice, is acceptable .... then why not northeast? Such a series would a) allow most Tech fans attend the return game; b) generate local interest and boost attendance; and c) shut them the hell up for another 5- years.

If playing northeast is still unacceptable, however, then let's just take all the other Belt programs off the table.
    To me Northeast is on the same level as Northwestern. My reasons for not playing them are the same and I'd grudgingly accept a game (only in Ruston of course) given no other options.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Since the horse is out of the barn - play the juco...

Easy money
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

But if scheduling a home-and-home with a Belt institution, though not our first choice, is acceptable .... then why not northeast? Such a series would a) allow most Tech fans attend the return game; b) generate local interest and boost attendance; and c) shut them the hell up for another 5-10 years.

If playing northeast is still unacceptable, however, then let's just take all the other Belt programs off the table. Because they will all require a return game, but none of the others can deliver the local benefits that playing northeast will.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that today's Tech students were still sleeping in pull-ups the last time we played the injunhawks. And I believe every generation of Tech students should, as a birthright, get to see their Dawgs beat the snot outta northeast.
    Now you have gone too far!!!!

I never advocated a game with NLU and I wouldn't - period - end of story. The difference is that a team like a Ga St, So Al, or even a Tx St, would not be in our back yard and do not take away $$$$ from our school as NLU does by losing money every year in the UL system. The sooner that school drops football, closes it's doors, or is absorbed by La Tech, the better all of north Louisiana will be. If we perpetuate their ability to stay afloat by subsidizing them further in athletics, then we will prolong the inevitable. Let them go quietly into the good night, while we look elsewhere for our scheduling opportunities.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

The sooner that school drops football, closes it's doors, or is absorbed by La Tech, the better all of north Louisiana will be. If we perpetuate their ability to stay afloat by subsidizing them further in athletics, then we will prolong the inevitable. Let them go quietly into the good night,
    nlulm is not going anywhere. Even if it were somehow a remote possibility, it would be altogether unrelated to football scheduling.

If we are going to play Belt teams, the juco is the one that makes the most sense. But if we're not going to play them, then let's cut the baloney about our willingness to play Belt teams.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

It'll happen eventually, and I'm fine with that.

But I don't think that beating NLU by 100 points would achieve your "c" reason. It was pretty bad last time around and the first year after the series stopped we were already hearing about how "scared" we were (to play a team we'd been beating by 30 points per game over the last 3 games). See also: ULL talking all the noise over the last ten years or so all the way up to this season's pounding (and immediately starting up again - and don't think we won't be hearing about how we're ducking them in 2016).

Also, while some people cite "they're in the Sunbelt" as a reason to not play ULM, it's certainly not the only factor against them. I think you can make a decent argument for why it's better (err, not as bad) to play some other SB team. Part of that argument would be about recruiting inroads. If we want a guy from NE Louisiana, access and visibility is not a problem. We're in the Monroe paper (I know, I know -we have issues with the amount of coverage). We play another 30 minutes away. We're on the local sports report. If we want him to see us play, we're a million times better off just having him come in for a home game than we would at any away game (even one with more Tech fans there than home team fans).

If we're recruiting in south Alabama, or Austin, or even south Louisiana we're going to have more presence by playing a series there once in a while. We get that in Monroe either way.

There is also an argument for how much you're losing with a loss. We'd hear about it (and recruits would hear about it) if we lost to Georgia State. But not like it would be with ULM (although I'm still not sure it'd break us the way a lot of people think it would - upsets happen in college football).

If we are going to play Belt teams, the juco is the one that makes the most sense.
    For attendance and for our fans making the return trip. Probably also for local media coverage/hype.

But not for presence in recruiting. Not for national coverage. Not for quality of win (most years). Not necessarily for overall risk/reward outcome.

There are some pros and some cons to playing ULM. Just like any other team. You've just got to compare them to what else you could get instead in a given year. They might be the best option, or they might not.

+ Reply to Thread