+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 86 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Administrator qng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond reputeqng001 has a reputation beyond repute qng001's Avatar

Re: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    Concessions won't be a big deal cuz nobody will patronize them during halftime band performance.

I'd say SEZ completion may impact game location.
    If it's a hot game, it'll be a busy day at the concession.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Younger fan here. Why are we excited about playing a SWAC school? (yes I understand it's a massive achievement for us to schedule any game whatsoever at home).
    Because if you're going to play an FCS team most years (and we are) then you want to play FCS teams that bring in a good gate.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post
    Good question. Other than a decent gate (Note: Only one or two SWAC schools will provide a decent gate), playing a SWAC school does nothing for us other than providing a win. Ironically, a win against a SWAC school will likely hurt us if we are in the hunt for an access bowl. It is bad enough we have a Belch school on the schedule.

I
    When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

Past that, while FCS schools are very much not all equally difficult to beat, I think the general public and even the committee will just lump them all together. If we're playing an FCS team at all (and we will be in most years) there is no sense in trying to split hairs for SOS purposes. It just gets filed under "FCS team" no matter whether you played North Dakota State or Mississippi Valley State.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Dawg View Post
    Younger fan here. Why are we excited about playing a SWAC school? (yes I understand it's a massive achievement for us to schedule any game whatsoever at home).
    I do not diagree with any of the posts so far, ULL has huge crowds when they play Southern. My only concern is that we historically play down to inferior programs ( and not just NLU)-we struggled against Grambling in Shreveport and lost to a i-aa team a few years ago. One thing for sure, ALL of us have to not take game as win ahead of time!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russdawg View Post
    This better not happen!! I'm not going there at night, and if La Tech does that to me and I don't go I'm going to get my ticket $ back for that game one way or the other. But JAS would be excellent, great atmosphere, I like this game for 2015.
    WIMP!!! you can go with me and I will protect you.... of course Bob will not go-- year we played G men he flew to at least 2 games but refused to go to Fair grounds.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad View Post

I have a hard time buying the argument that we can't get home games. Other schools pull it off. We have had several good homes games in our hands, but for one reason or another decided not to do it: BYU (still waiting for an answer on what happened with this one), Baylor (scheduled and canceled by us), Kansas (turned down a home-and-home) ...

I often wonder if the mantra that we can't schedule home games is just to lower our expectations.
    We've certainly done some of this to ourselves and passed on good chances for decent home games, but it really is hard to get home games.

P5 teams do not like to travel. And if they are going to travel, most of them are going to do neutral site games against other big names. Yeah, we can all name good games that we've had or should have had, and can think of examples of other G5 schools with decent home games, but the exception basically proves the rule. Those games are exceptions.

We've done ok with other G5 teams over the last 10 years or so, but it's not like we can just pick whomever we want. We've got to work with our conference schedule, their conference schedule, their willingness to play, our other commitments, their other commitments, etc. Not to mention the fact that several of what would have been good OOC teams until recently are now conference games. And what would be an awesome G5 OOC series anyway? Houston or SMU are close. Tulsa and Memphis are not terribly far. Boise and UCF have some history with us and have been really good recently. After that. . .

I actually think that general fandom tends to go too far in the opposite direction of what you suggest. I think (based on years of reading this board) that we've all become so used to NCAA football simulators on PlayStation that we think scheduling is a piece of cake and can't fathom why we don't just call up Arkansas and Notre Dame and play them in Ruston whenever we feel like it. It's fun to talk about dream schedules every off-season on the internet, but I really wonder about how our fan version of how this stuff works matches up with reality.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

LOL... Guess you didn't attend many GSU games. Yes, the concessions at the half will be busy, just not from the jazillion Southern fans who are supposed to attend. Happens all the time. Football team wonders where the crowd went in the 3rd quarter.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

DG, TMac and SH listen to our fan base.

Puppy ptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her gameptaylor is on top of his/her game

Home and home gives up the big paycheck for one and done. It's all about budget and not about best fan-attractive home schedule.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I have been screaming this for years! Excellent choice for a state FCS visitor to Aillet.

WELL DONE!!!!

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Love it! I think we should play Southern every four years in Ruston. Grambling, too.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    WIMP!!! you can go with me and I will protect you.... of course Bob will not go-- year we played G men he flew to at least 2 games but refused to go to Fair grounds.
    Wow!!! You've changed from that 1960's liberal I first met!!! RAMBO! Rhymes with your last name.

Puppy Snowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Love it! I think we should play Southern every four years in Ruston. Grambling, too.
    It is a great move. Tech Football & athletics in general should have a positive economic impact on the local economy. Packed restaurants and hotels are welcomed by the local merchants. Plus Southern's band will make halftime more entertaining. Besides Southern & Grambling, we should add Alcorn & Jackson State in that rotation. Their fans travel well also.

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    Because if you're going to play an FCS team most years (and we are) then you want to play FCS teams that bring in a good gate.

When we're getting left out of access bowls, that'll be the time to start worrying about our scheduling. I think we're ok for the moment.

Past that, while FCS schools are very much not all equally difficult to beat, I think the general public and even the committee will just lump them all together. If we're playing an FCS team at all (and we will be in most years) there is no sense in trying to split hairs for SOS purposes. It just gets filed under "FCS team" no matter whether you played North Dakota State or Mississippi Valley State.
    Exactly right.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree with the call. Harms the rep we are building. If all you want is a full house play the JUCO while they're hot or semi-hot and their fans will come, too (as long as LSU is playing) and I a not advocating playing them, either, really. Oh hell, even LSPOO plays McNeese every not and then.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Guys, you do realize this is Southern, don't you???? The way you all are going crazy, you would have thought we signed the NE Patriots to come to Ruston!!!!

I am not so concerned with how many people a team will bring of their fans, but rather how many 'on the fence' Tech fans we pull in!!!! I just don't think that the folks in SBC, Monroe or even the Homer or Minden folks will come running to see us play the Jags!!!! Band or no band...........

For the opening of the SEZ project, we should have done a better job of planning and gotten a bigger name.

IMHO

+ Reply to Thread