+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 86 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Re: Someone Has Finally Listened - Southern Univeristy Coming to Ruston in 2015

Southern rings the $$$$ bell

Big time -

And should be an easy W
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I disagree with the call. Harms the rep we are building. If all you want is a full house play the JUCO while they're hot or semi-hot and their fans will come, too (as long as LSU is playing) and I a not advocating playing them, either, really. Oh hell, even LSPOO plays McNeese every not and then.
    We'd have to return a game to the JUCO. We don't have to return a game to Southern. To get more than 5 home games per year, we have to schedule an FCS team every year. Grambling and Southern give Tech a huge attendance, an easy win, and an entertaining halftime performance. I don't think playing any other FCS opponent could benefit Tech more than GSU and SU.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I disagree with the call. Harms the rep we are building. If all you want is a full house play the JUCO while they're hot or semi-hot and their fans will come, too (as long as LSU is playing) and I a not advocating playing them, either, really. Oh hell, even LSPOO plays McNeese every not and then.
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    Guys, you do realize this is Southern, don't you???? The way you all are going crazy, you would have thought we signed the NE Patriots to come to Ruston!!!!

I am not so concerned with how many people a team will bring of their fans, but rather how many 'on the fence' Tech fans we pull in!!!! I just don't think that the folks in SBC, Monroe or even the Homer or Minden folks will come running to see us play the Jags!!!! Band or no band...........

For the opening of the SEZ project, we should have done a better job of planning and gotten a bigger name.

IMHO
    We are going to be playing an FCS team next season and most seasons after that (like almost everyone else at the FBS level). If you don't like playing FCS schools, you're not alone and we've got tons of threads hashing out the pros and cons of playing an FCS team at all.

Past that, it's a matter of degree. If you think there is a better FCS team Tech should be playing (note that I don't mean a superior on-the-field team, I know Southern isn't that great in those terms - which I actually view as a mark in their favor), then let's hear it. Nobody thinks this is better than getting Mississippi State in Ruston, or even Southern Miss or Houston or whoever you think is a good OOC team.

The kudos here are for Southern as opposed to Alabama A&M or Hampton or Norfolk State. It's not a matter of "of yeah, we're playing Southern instead of USC or Alabama."

Apples to apples, it's probably a good move. Thus, "going crazy" to the tune of 30 posts on a message board.

If your issue is just the timing of opening our stadium improvements, then maybe that's a more legit beef - but even that doesn't bother me too much.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    We'd have to return a game to the JUCO. We don't have to return a game to Southern. To get more than 5 home games per year, we have to schedule an FCS team every year. Grambling and Southern give Tech a huge attendance, an easy win, and an entertaining halftime performance. I don't think any other FCS opponent could benefit Tech more than GSU and SU.
    You could possibly make an argument for one team that we now need to put back in their place.

But generally speaking, yeah (although I don't know how well Grambling draws in Lincoln Parish - maybe better in Ruston than in Grambling for a chance to play us).

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

Big time -

And should be an easy W
    Which means.....Tech 42 Southern 35 in OT!

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Which means.....Tech 42 Southern 35 in OT!
    Before I could text it.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    We are going to be playing an FCS team next season and most seasons after that (like almost everyone else at the FBS level). If you don't like playing FCS schools, you're not alone and we've got tons of threads hashing out the pros and cons of playing an FCS team at all.

Past that, it's a matter of degree. If you think there is a better FCS team Tech should be playing (note that I don't mean a superior on-the-field team, I know Southern isn't that great in those terms - which I actually view as a mark in their favor), then let's hear it. Nobody thinks this is better than getting Mississippi State in Ruston, or even Southern Miss or Houston or whoever you think is a good OOC team.

The kudos here are for Southern as opposed to Alabama A&M or Hampton or Norfolk State. It's not a matter of "of yeah, we're playing Southern instead of USC or Alabama."

Apples to apples, it's probably a good move. Thus, "going crazy" to the tune of 30 posts on a message board.

If your issue is just the timing of opening our stadium improvements, then maybe that's a more legit beef - but even that doesn't bother me too much.
    That is my biggest issue - bringing in a FCS team, especially one from Louisiana for this event. Perhaps I have lived in Houston too long, but I never hear about PVA&M or Tx Southern, unless it is something bad. They just don't make news here and I doubt anyone would want to go see them playing UH or Rice, outside of die-hard fans. I am equating that thought process to the HBU's in Louisiana for the casual north Louisiana fan, who I think we are targeting, especially with the new stadium improvements, game day experience, etc. That is who I would be trying to get into the stands, if I were TMc!!!!! But as I said before, maybe I have lived in Houston too long. You guys seem to think this will do the trick.... Suffice it to say, I am skeptical!!!

Puppy vlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the roughvlw is a jewel in the rough

SU fan here. We have known about this in BR for a month or so. Looking forward to traveling to North Louisiana for a game. Food for thought, SU owns more stadium attendence records in Louisiana than LSU lol. SLU, Nicholls, ULL, and Northwestern St.

Puppy Snowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around hereSnowmane88 has turned a few heads around here

Quote Originally Posted by vlw View Post
    SU fan here. We have know about this in BR for a month or so. Looking forward to traveling to North Louisiana for a game. Food for thought, SU owns more stadium attendence records in Louisiana than LSU lol. SLU, Nicholls, ULL, and Northwestern St.
    Welcome SU fan!! Look forward to the game and the tailgate parties. As a Tech grad & fan we are happy to have you guys come up for the game.

Champ ChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond reputeChuckK3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post

Big time -

And should be an easy W
    ...and we are The Tech...which means anything is possible.

All that said, welcome Jags! This should be fun.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    That is my biggest issue - bringing in a FCS team, especially one from Louisiana for this event. Perhaps I have lived in Houston too long, but I never hear about PVA&M or Tx Southern, unless it is something bad. They just don't make news here and I doubt anyone would want to go see them playing UH or Rice, outside of die-hard fans. I am equating that thought process to the HBU's in Louisiana for the casual north Louisiana fan, who I think we are targeting, especially with the new stadium improvements, game day experience, etc. That is who I would be trying to get into the stands, if I were TMc!!!!! But as I said before, maybe I have lived in Houston too long. You guys seem to think this will do the trick.... Suffice it to say, I am skeptical!!!
    Southern annually plays in half of the largest Black TV game of the year at the Mercedes Benz Superdome. If we had suites to rent out to the visiting team, we would have sold out this morning.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Why do I get the feeling the accounting alumni are more excited about this than most?

Big Dog TechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the roughTechFanno1 is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    I do not diagree with any of the posts so far, ULL has huge crowds when they play Southern. My only concern is that we historically play down to inferior programs ( and not just NLU)-we struggled against Grambling in Shreveport and lost to a i-aa team a few years ago. One thing for sure, ALL of us have to not take game as win ahead of time!
    that game we lost was against SFA in overtime. Long ride home that night. Horrible feeling like after NSU game.

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

Had a blast tailgating with Grambling fans in Shreveport and will have a blast tailgating with the Jag fans this fall!!!

That Gameday will be huge!!!!

Champ RealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond reputeRealityCheck has a reputation beyond repute

No way there should be any consideration of moving this game to Shreveport unless the crowd is guaranteed to exceed 40K. And in that guarantee I would include getting a financial guarantee up front north of double the 2010 BVDV "lion's share" that turned out to be under $300K.

And IMO I can't see Shreveport being able to offer that level of guarantee.

Tech should start making plans early to park spectators at remote locations around Ruston and run shuttle buses to the stadium. And encourage parking all over campus and run a shuttle bus loop.
    Last edited by RealityCheck; 01-08-2015 at 08:43 AM.

+ Reply to Thread