+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop Scheduling Games with ULL

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Stop Scheduling Games with ULL

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    For the memory challenged ( me at top of list) -- we played 4 CUSA teams at home this year- 3 went to bowl games (2-1). Hopefully the CUSA relationship will develop over yrs into great rivalries. Still dOn't expect their fan base to come to Ruston . I can not think of any team more likely to have great crowd in Ruston more than southwestern Cajuns --
    USLLaf has never travelled well unless they are going to BR to watch the tiggers play sombody.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    As you know, LaMon is not going away. We might as well play them if we are going to play LaLaff.
    If LA Tech's "Louisiana Supporters" are hell bent on playing Southland Conference schools, we should drop ULL and all the others, and simply play ULM instead. You'll draw BIGGER crowds -- heck the trip to Monroe is almost like another home game-- and rarely be in the position of possibly losing the game. And frankly, the ULM fans don't appear to be near as obnoxious and inbred as the ULL fan base.

Please understand, it's very hard for "out-of-state" fans like me to get excited about playing the old "Southland Conference" schools. It's an embarrassment to even mention it in my office on Monday mornings. IMO, playing these old "Southland Conference" rivalries is just not the right approach to growing and broadening our brand.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Play an ooc schedule against teams that the casual fan knows. Bottom tier SEC, BigXII, ACC, or even the MWC and AAC.

Primary targets are Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kansas/Kansas St, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech.

Secondary targets should be SMU, Houston, New Mexico, Colorado St, Tulsa, Memphis, UCF, Tulane.

Tertiary targets should be FCS schools.

The Sunbelt should be a LAST resort. The more we associate with them the more the general public confuses us with them. Absolutely NO advantage in playing them. I'm not buying the attendance thing about UL-L; I was in Ruston the last time we played and they brought a paltry crowd.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Play an ooc schedule against teams that the casual fan knows. Bottom tier SEC, BigXII, ACC, or even the MWC and AAC.

Primary targets are Mississippi State, Georgia Tech, Wake Forest, Arkansas, Vanderbilt, Louisville, Kansas/Kansas St, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas Tech.

Secondary targets should be SMU, Houston, New Mexico, Colorado St, Tulsa, Memphis, UCF, Tulane.

The Sunbelt should be a LAST resort. The more we associate with them the more the general public confuses us with them. Absolutely NO advantage in playing them. I'm not buying the attendance thing about UL-L; I was in Ruston the last time we played and they brought a paltry crowd.
    Great post!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I, for one, have no idea about scheduling and how tough it may or may not be for us. I don't really have an opinion anymore about whether our admin are trying hard enough or not. I want us to schedule the best teams we can of course. I have a short list of teams I would love to see in Ruston. If that can't happen, I will say again....... Just brain dust the teams we do schedule and let the rest work itself out. I agree that playing belch schools gives others the impression that we are on the same level and I hate it. Can't wait for the day when schools in the bottom 3rd of the P5 conferences will stop deleting our voicemails.

Bulldog ronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of lightronmyster is a glorious beacon of light ronmyster's Avatar

I had a great time in Lafayette. Pretty good crowd most were ok some not so much. One guy in the beer line (yes they sell beer at ull games) was mouthing off pretty bad. He disappeared after Dixon's 99 yard run. There tailgateing was bigger than Techs but stadium sorta old.Fans and kids sat on a high hill above one endzone, kids played on the hill which I thought was unusual. Kin folk in Lafayette were stunned at the outcome, the game had been built up in the media all offseason. The ull fans all said the same thing on our way out Congratulations yall kicked our A$$. This was a big step forward in regional superiority every football fan in So La. knows Tech is the better program in Football. I don't know what crowd they will bring to Ruston but I hope for the best. Now we need to do the same to ulm and shut them up. Only play them every 10 yrs or so but we do need to play them.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ronmyster View Post
    I had a great time in Lafayette. Pretty good crowd most were ok some not so much. One guy in the beer line (yes they sell beer at ull games) was mouthing off pretty bad. He disappeared after Dixon's 99 yard run. There tailgateing was bigger than Techs but stadium sorta old.Fans and kids sat on a high hill above one endzone, kids played on the hill which I thought was unusual. Kin folk in Lafayette were stunned at the outcome, the game had been built up in the media all offseason. The ull fans all said the same thing on our way out Congratulations yall kicked our A$$. This was a big step forward in regional superiority every football fan in So La. knows Tech is the better program in Football. I don't know what crowd they will bring to Ruston but I hope for the best. Now we need to do the same to ulm and shut them up. Only play them every 10 yrs or so but we do need to play them.
    And if we lose? That happens from time to time. If we can't shut them up after winning the last 8 games than I doubt one more is going to do the trick.

I suspect we will not play LSU for a LONG time after that last game where we were ahead at halftime. Tiger sphincters were pretty tight for much of that game.

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

And if we lose? That happens from time to time. If we can't shut them up after winning the last 8 games than I doubt one more is going to do the trick.

I suspect we will not play LSU for a LONG time after that last game where we were ahead at halftime. Tiger sphincters were pretty tight for much of that game.
    This. Oh and the chiggers only beat us by one TD that game. I agree and imagine that they won't play us for a very long time.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    This. Oh and the chiggers only beat us by one TD that game. I agree and imagine that they won't play us for a very long time.
    My recent conversation with an lsu fan who has a degree from another state school...

Me: lsu won't play us

Him: (laughing) you think they are scared?

Me: Not sure, but we are the only state school they are not currently playing.

Him: but they played y'all.

Me: Yes, and out of all the state schools Tech was the only one to give them a good game.

Him: I guess I missed that one, but no way they are afraid to keep playing Tech.

Champ Wade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond reputeWade_Antley has a reputation beyond repute Wade_Antley's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Greg View Post
    Only because P5 teams aren't coming to Ruston. How many did we have for Texas A&M in shreveport? Have you looked at other CUSA OOC schedules? They have p5's coming to them . And they aren't 2 for 1's.
    We had 40,00 at Shreveport. I don't know what that has to do with anything. There was 41,000 in Shreveport vs Northern Illinois.

The last P5 school at home was Miss St (2008) and we only had 25,000. That's about the same as 2011 Hawaii game & 2012 Utah St game and a little bit less than the Northwestern St game (which was the highest attended game since NLU visited in 1999).

There were three CUSA teams that hosted P5 schools this season. All three are located in larger markets.

My point is attendance. I would rather see us average 25,000+ yearly. If playing a Louisiana school every year gets us to that threshold then do it. It would solve a lot of problems if the turnstiles are spinning to the tune of 3 million$$ per year.

In regards to P5 schools visiting, I would take a shot at scheduling Illinois at home as soon as they could. We've played them twice now and I'm sure they would love another chance at beating us. Also Texas Tech or the other two Tech schools, people love seeing those match-ups for some reason.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    As you know, LaMon is not going away. We might as well play them if we are going to play LaLaff.
    I don't want to watch us play either one of them.

I remember that Missippi State game well . . . because I was activated with the National Guard for a HURRICANE! You can't use that game as a baseline for anything other than how many people are willing to travel to Ruston with a storm bearing down on us.

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    If LA Tech's "Louisiana Supporters" are hell bent on playing Southland Conference schools, we should drop ULL and all the others, and simply play ULM instead. You'll draw BIGGER crowds -- heck the trip to Monroe is almost like another home game-- and rarely be in the position of possibly losing the game. And frankly, the ULM fans don't appear to be near as obnoxious and inbred as the ULL fan base.

Please understand, it's very hard for "out-of-state" fans like me to get excited about playing the old "Southland Conference" schools. It's an embarrassment to even mention it in my office on Monday mornings. IMO, playing these old "Southland Conference" rivalries is just not the right approach to growing and broadening our brand.
    I live in Bossier and hate to say we played them. I would rather play neither one of them, and certainly NEVER plan on driving to Monroe to watch them. If either one wants to play us, it should only be in Ruston. ULM could possibly bring a few fans, but ULL brought very few the last time we played them. I would love to see us never play either one of them again.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

. What part of home /away did you not understand. ??

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Great post!
    . Really?? So both of you want to play all our games on road ?? Why not Notre Dame- USC - Oregan etc. we need teams that will come to Ruston-- bottom tier SEC will not come to Ruston-- get used to 4-5 CUSA teams and hope for home/away with Memphis type team. -- yeah, we get Miss state, like once in my lifetime

+ Reply to Thread