+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: I'm Just Not Stoked About Tonight's Game...

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: I'm Just Not Stoked About Tonight's Game...

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    The Fightin' Beavers?

I know what you meant...

Okay, one can make an argument against Oregon. But, in favor of who? Florida State, who the Ducks toasted by nearly 40 points on a neutral field? I don't think so.

TCU had/has an argument. Baylor too, but to a lesser extent. So, because Oregon lost to Ohio State, based on that, you now think they were unworthy of a Final Four appearance? I disagree. I whole-heartedly disagree! Oregon was, is, one of the four best teams in the nation in 2014('15). Last night did not change that.

Look back at the BcS game when Bama pummeled Notre Dame. Everyone said, see! ND did not belong in that game! Based on that outcome? Maybe. But based on what it took to be there, ND most certainly did belong. I don't recall the details now, but they were 12-0, including something like 10 wins over bowl teams (from that year) and something like 5-0 vs. Top 25 opponents. No other team, including Bama, came anywhere close to those credentials.

Games occur in a vacuum. Last night's final score is the direct result of the results of individual plays. And if OSO and Oregon were to play again, next week, they couldn't duplicate those individual results even if they tried to.

Ohio State was clearly the best team last night, and just as clearly the best team in this four-team playoff series. No question about it. But, do this whole thing over again, and you know as well as I it might be Bama vs. Florida State, or more likely Bama vs. Oregon in the championship game. That's sports!
    So true.... I don't see why more people don't get this. It is and always has been "on any given night". Clearly, some teams are better than others overall, but any time two teams get on the field or court, things will be different from one night to the next. Ohio State might have won that game 3 out of 4 times, but we will never know that. We, also, will never know if Oregon or Florida State might have beat Alabama. Just don't know.

The NC game is a reward for beating every team in your way to the championship.

Champ dhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond reputedhussdawg has a reputation beyond repute dhussdawg's Avatar

The real loser in this whole playoff system is Bama. They trash Florida State 42-7, if the BSCS is still in place.

Now, we just need to move it to 8 teams to make sure the best team gets in the field every year, and some new blood gets a shot. Ohio State got in over Baylor and TCU, in part, because of their name and history. That type of stuff shouldn't matter, but we know it does.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    So true.... I don't see why more people don't get this. It is and always has been "on any given night". Clearly, some teams are better than others overall, but any time two teams get on the field or court, things will be different from one night to the next. Ohio State might have won that game 3 out of 4 times, but we will never know that. We, also, will never know if Oregon or Florida State might have beat Alabama. Just don't know.

Virginia Tech may beg to differ with you on this.

Champ Amos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond reputeAmos Moses has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by C-Dawg View Post
    No class shown from Meyer though. Scoring a TD with less that 30 seconds to play inside the 10 yard line. Bush league at best. Then Meyer boasts about the final score in interview with sideline reporter immediately after the game. No love here for Urban. (Does he have a brother named Rural? Just wondering.)
    He does have a kid that he named Suburban, though!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Not a fan of either team and wasn't pulling for either. I was dead wrong though as I figured the Ducks would roll off a few huge plays early and demoralize the OSU sideline. Eventually, the high octane team will win one, but it will not happen as long as you have more ground and pound teams at the top than you have run and gun.

An 8 team playoff is the best bet for high octane teams, but it still isn't that much better. The only hope is that ground and pound teams play each other early in the playoff and beat each other up, which may level the field some.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post

This has always been my grudge against "tournament" type championships. In a long tournament like the NCAA basketball a very good team will generally win, but the best team? Baseball, NBA basketball, and hockey get it. Baseball, in particular. The winners over a long season meet in multiple game playoff series. There is no getting hot, just the best overall team will win three out of five or four out of seven. I understand you couldn't really do this in football, espcially college, and that is why until recently the "national championship" was really just a mythilogical crowning. Is Ohio State the best? They lost to a team that now is consistently rated below Tech in all the final "ratings". They had an off day. Hey unless Tech wins the NC I don't really care. Didn't even watch the game. Talk about not stoked or footballed out (unless it was Tech). But will be ready for some more next fall.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I thought that the Ducks got tight after the two big drops and they never recovered -

Also - you should almost always take the points when they are available early in the game and they failed to do this

Momentum is a funny thing - they don't drop those balls and take the points when available and its probably a shoot out until the end and a much closer game
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I thought that the Ducks got tight after the two big drops and they never recovered -

Also - you should almost always take the points when they are available early in the game and they failed to do this

Momentum is a funny thing - they don't drop those balls and take the points when available and its probably a shoot out until the end and a much closer game
    On the flip side of that, Ohio State had two unforced turnovers that resulted in 10 points for the Ducks or the score would have been 42-10.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

With the benefit of hindsight now, here are the Final Four top teams for 2015:

1) Ohio St
    2) TCU
    3) Michigan St
    4) Alabama

Neither Florida St or Oregon belonged in the Final Four. Those two would be lucky to crack the Top 10 now. We all knew in advance that Florida St was the worst undefeated team in American history. Nevertheless, they were undefeated, so they got to punch their ticket for the playoff.

But Oregon....LOL!! I'm still trying to figure out what anybody sees in Oregon. The Ducks are HORRIBLE! They've got "gimmick" offense and NO defense. If you love Sonny Dykes' teams, you'll love Oregon.
    Last edited by HogDawg; 01-13-2015 at 03:14 PM.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dhussdawg View Post
    The real loser in this whole playoff system is Bama. They trash Florida State 42-7, if the BSCS is still in place.

Now, we just need to move it to 8 teams to make sure the best team gets in the field every year, and some new blood gets a shot. Ohio State got in over Baylor and TCU, in part, because of their name and history. That type of stuff shouldn't matter, but we know it does.
    Here's the funny part: Everybody THOUGHT the Big 12 was going to be the "big loser" this bowl season. But in fact, it was the SEC!! As you correctly stated, without this 4-team playoff, Alabama plays FSU for the NC, and we're none the smarter. But because of this 4-team playoff.....

1) The SEC got exposed. Bama misses out on a almost certain NC, and embarrassing losses by Ole Miss and Miss St leave the SEC scarred. Opinions have changed overnight regarding the SEC. And not for the better.

2) The Big Ten gained enormous ground, with 4 huge wins over Top 10 teams by Ohio St, Michigan St and Wisconsin. Just as the SEC got exposed, the Big Ten now looks like the new king of conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    But Oregon....LOL!! I'm still trying to figure out what anybody sees in Oregon. The Ducks are HORRIBLE! They've got "gimmick" offense and NO defense. If you love Sonny Dykes' teams, you'll love Oregon.
    I agree with this. Oregon is a top 10 team at best, not a top five team. They are becoming known as "Choke "U" - a team that can't win the big games, especially against teams that play defense.

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    I like the idea of 8 team playoff - Confernece Champs of all P5 + Highest Ranked G5 Champion + 2 highest ranked at large.

1st round week after Confernece Championships on campus of highest ranked team. Semifinals in New Years 6 Bowl on New Year's Day.

I am using CFP Rankings for illustration.

1 Alabama (SEC)
    8 Boise State (G5 High Champ)

4 Ohio State (B1G)
    5 Baylor (Big XII)

2 Oregon (Pac 12)
    7 Mississippi State (at large)

3 Florida State (ACC)
    6 TCU (at large)
    That would be awesome! We would be getting ready to watch Ohio State vs. TCU this weekend.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Oregon also played without their top two WR's.

Champ Brian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond reputeBrian96 has a reputation beyond repute Brian96's Avatar

However.........Oregon wins the "Hot Cheerleaders" contest for sure........WOW!!!!!
    Have you ever been to Ohio? It wouldn't even be fair to call the difference a "contest."

Here's the funny part: Everybody THOUGHT the Big 12 was going to be the "big loser" this bowl season. But in fact, it was the SEC!! As you correctly stated, without this 4-team playoff, Alabama plays FSU for the NC, and we're none the smarter. But because of this 4-team playoff.....

1) The SEC got exposed. Bama misses out on a almost certain NC, and embarrassing losses by Ole Miss and Miss St leave the SEC scarred. Opinions have changed overnight regarding the SEC. And not for the better.

2) The Big Ten gained enormous ground, with 4 huge wins over Top 10 teams by Ohio St, Michigan St and Wisconsin. Just as the SEC got exposed, the Big Ten now looks like the new king of conferences.
    Although what you are saying is partially true, it could also be noted that the SEC had a winning bowl percentage this year and the Big Ten did not.

+ Reply to Thread