+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: P5 and G5

Champ DONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond reputeDONW has a reputation beyond repute

Re: P5 and G5

The P-5 and G-5 do not make sense. They refer to the G-5 as Group of 5. Do they refer to the P-5 as Power of 5? That doesn't make sense. Who is responsible for the P-5 and G-5 terms? A more descriptive term would have been the Rich-5 and the Poor-5. Or, switch the letters, G-5=Greedy 5 and P-5=Poor 5.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Basketball is almost impossible to label and that's why the NCAA Tourney is so fascinating.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    Basketball is almost impossible to label and that's why the NCAA Tourney is so fascinating.
    Exactly! It would be nice for football to be that, as well. That ship has sailed, though. We need to fight to make sure basketball does not.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Yes, it is very difficult to segregate in MBB.

I'm just happy to live in a country living under the segregated but equal doctrine.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Don't agree. What would make the NCAA fascinating would be for the regular season conference champion to get the automatic NCAA tournament bid and the conference tournaments to be for At-Large positions. As it is now a lot of really good teams are left out because some team (often with biased officiating) is able to manage 3 wins at the end of the season. With conference Champions guaranteed to be in the tournament the field would be much tougher and the season would be about the "total body of work" as they like to say in football.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    Don't agree. What would make the NCAA fascinating would be for the regular season conference champion to get the automatic NCAA tournament bid and the conference tournaments to be for At-Large positions. As it is now a lot of really good teams are left out because some team (often with biased officiating) is able to manage 3 wins at the end of the season. With conference Champions guaranteed to be in the tournament the field would be much tougher and the season would be about the "total body of work" as they like to say in football.
    I agree whole heartedly. How many times recently has Tech won its conference championship only to be bounced out of the NCAA tournament because of home cooking refs. I remember at least two -- one each in the WAC and C-USA.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that it's perfect. I agree with your sentiments but for the most part every team has a shot at the title unlike football.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that it's perfect. I agree with your sentiments but for the most part every team has a shot at the title unlike football.
    Yes, every team has a shot at the title. They also have a shot during the regular season.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

I think A-5 and G-5 are better labelsn than P-5...

The AUTONOMOUS 5 are separate from the other 5 d1 conferences by a mandate/rule from the NCAA

Unlike the mid-major term which is just a label that stuck, the autonomous five is very very real and will impact college athletics from this point forward
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Varsity Bulldog Elwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really niceElwagonne is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    I think A-5 and G-5 are better labelsn than P-5...

The AUTONOMOUS 5 are separate from the other 5 d1 conferences by a mandate/rule from the NCAA

Unlike the mid-major term which is just a label that stuck, the autonomous five is very very real and will impact college athletics from this point forward
    I prefer the term 'Dinner Table 5'. They make all the decisions, only hand out crumbs to everyone else and rarely ever accept new members that weren't originally a part of the crew.

Big Dog Cory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud ofCory has much to be proud of Cory's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    We finally have simple and accurate descriptive terms for college football groups. No need for the silly major, mid-major, and lower mid-major that leaves so much to the imagination. FBS and FCS will continue to be used when needed. BCS, AQ and non-AQ is also in the past.

Basketball still needs to be fixed.
    I don't know why all this segregation business is making its way into the thread.... The new system seems very straight forward to me. I couldn't agree more with maddawg's post. I for one cringe when I hear someone use the term "mid-major" when they're referring to an FBS team. It seems demeaning.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Gonzaga and Butler would scoff at the notion they are "mid-majors."

Florida Gulf Coast recently, George Mason some years ago, and others like Cleveland State, Weber State, Wichita State, Dayton, and Louisiana Tech in 83-85, have proven if you're good, you're good, and labels be damned!
    Funny how the person addicted to using labels when referring to anyone that disagrees with him now exclaims " labels be damned!".

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    Funny how the person addicted to using labels when referring to anyone that disagrees with him now exclaims " labels be damned!".
    It was probably just a typo.

I betting he meant to say "liberals be damned".

Champ JAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond reputeJAB has a reputation beyond repute JAB's Avatar

Will someone just explain what group Tech is in????? P-5, G-5, R-5, or A-5?
    I know who is in what group but I can't keep up with what people are calling the 2 groups!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAB View Post
    Will someone just explain what group Tech is in????? P-5, G-5, R-5, or A-5?
    I know who is in what group but I can't keep up with what people are calling the 2 groups!!!
    G5

+ Reply to Thread