+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Buddy Davis' All-Time Starting Five...

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Buddy Davis' All-Time Starting Five...

Buddy wanted me to share this with y'all and to see what y'all think...

You can follow Buddy on Twitter at @OdavisO
    By O.K. Davis
    buddy@rustonleader.com

Daunting.

That's the best and most appropriate way to describe the task I under took recently to compile a starting lineup from all of the great names who have graced the Louisiana Tech University men's basketball roster through the years.
    Mind you, that's coming up with only five players.
    The cream of the Bulldogs' crop if you will.
    As you will notice, my all-time Bulldogs' elite team is built heavy on sheer name recognition, all the better to give any opposing team one of those "deer in the headlights" feelings.
    Once you scan down our list, you may be left mumbling,"dang, all of those guys played at Tech?"
    They sure did and unless you've been spending too much time immersed in Bruce Jenner's reported gender transformation, they are names any savvy Bulldog fan will recognize and appreciate for their achievements.

Here they are:
    MIKE GREEN (1969-73): The best men's hoopster ever to wear a Tech uniform. He was honored multiple times as an All-American and was chosen as the Associated Press national college division Player of the Year in 1973. The more the years pass, the more his name takes on an iconic meaning. The McComb, Miss., native is No. 1 all-time for scoring and rebounding in school history.

KARL MALONE (1982-85): If any muscle work is needed inside, I have a feeling the big man from Summerfield can take care of it. He led the 'Dogs in scoring three straight seasons (1982 through 1985), rebounding twice and was the leader of that great 1984-85 squad that won 29 games and reached the NCAA's Sweet Sixteen. The No. 2 ranked scorer in NBA history and a two-time MVP, Malone has been Tech's most decorated professional.

JACKIE MORELAND (1957-60): The No. 3 ranked rebounder for a Bulldogs' career led Tech for three consecutive seasons in that category, plus the same for scoring. He averaged 21.3 points a game in his career (second best in school history). The Minden native was an All-American at Minden High before becoming the focus of a national recruiting battle. He appeared locked up by North Carolina before deciding to play closer at home with the Bulldogs.

PAUL MILLSAP (2003-06): The former Grambling High All-American is the only player ever to lead the NCAA for three consecutive years in rebounding. He averaged 18.6 points and totaled 183 blocked shots during his career. While he began his professional career with the Utah Jazz, Millsap is now excelling with the Atlanta Hawks, where he was recently selected as an NBA All-Star for the second time.

MIKE MCCONATHY (1973-77): "Opie" is the No. 2 ranked scorer in Bulldogs' history and the only other player besides Green to reach the 2,000-point plateau. He still holds the Bulldogs' record for most points in a game with 47 and averaged 20.7 for his career (third best behind Green and Moreland). He is now the highly successful head coach at Northwestern State University.

With our starting five, it's packed with big men (6-10, 6-9, 6-8, 6-8), so much that one may ask, "so where's the point guard?" and "who brings the ball up court?"

No problem.

Green might be 6-10, but he was as nimble and sleight-of-hand as a seasoned point guard. Yes, he could guide this team up court and get them in a position to score if necessary.

And if not, those duties could be assigned to the athletic Millsap.
    Or McConathy, who is our shooting guard and arguably the best ever to fulfill that role in the program's history.
    Besides, with these talented Bulldogs, why even nit-pick about specified positions?
    Let their talents play out and opponents beware.

''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

Re: Buddy Davis' All-Time Starting Five...

Such a great article from great guy in Buddy Davis. The 5 that I have loved to WATCH play are Karl Malone, Paul Millsap, Randy White, Gerrod Henderson, and Speedy Smith. These are my personal favorites to watch.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

That would be a heck of a team, but I still think you need another guard.

Seems like most of our best players have been PFs, which makes this year's guard led team that much more interesting I think.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Wayne Smith was the rudder that guided that 85 team...

Tommy Joe KNEW how important it was to get him to go with Karl and that bunch

That said - I think a Devon Haskins or Speedy Smith in place of Jackie Moreland makes that team much more potent

My first two off the bench are Randy White and Gerrod Henderson
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Free throw percentage matters. If there is a tiebreaker FT% should be it.

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Speedy would be in my starting five

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

... and I would probably plug in G at the two if I didn't put Godbolt there just to get him on the court.

Champ MiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond reputeMiloBumP has a reputation beyond repute

Wayne Smith could score as well as assist. As much as I like/enjoy Speedy, I would have to add Wayne "Mr. Trinity Heights" over Speedy to replace Jackie. PJ, Speedy, Tiger, Godbolt, Henderson, Moreland would make an awesome bench. Shoot, I would take this team on a national level and see how we compared to the Duke's, Kentucky's, UCLA's of the world...Hands down we would outclass every football focused school.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Speedy puts up alot of assists without a natural "scorer" in the post. Could you imagine?
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Imagine Speedy in a pick and roll offense with Karl. More assists and more points.

Varsity Bulldog Docman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to allDocman5 is a name known to all

Almost every one of us talking never saw Jackie play. I wouldn't replace him on the starting 5 for one of those you guys are talking about. The man was great.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Last edited by Cool Hand Clyde; 02-11-2015 at 03:15 PM.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Now yer talkin!!!!!!!! A great gentleman and Miss Sunshine's favorite.

Quote Originally Posted by Docman5 View Post
    Almost every one of us talking never saw Jackie play. I wouldn't replace him on the starting 5 for one of those you guys are talking about. The man was great.
    I admit I never saw Moreland play; I may not be as old as some of the other folks on here think that I am.

He may very well have been as good as many remember him. I just think most folks consider the modern era of basketball and football began around 1970 and everyone else mentioned on this thread has played during that era. That coincidentally coincides with my viewing experience... and might taint my viewpoint to some with a little more experience.

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    Wayne Smith was the rudder that guided that 85 team...

Tommy Joe KNEW how important it was to get him to go with Karl and that bunch

That said - I think a Devon Haskins or Speedy Smith in place of Jackie Moreland makes that team much more potent

My first two off the bench are Randy White and Gerrod Henderson
    Blasphemy!!!! Pure blasphemy, I tell you!!!! You should not be allowed to live in Claiborne Parish after that sacrilege!!!!

+ Reply to Thread