+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Snow Photos

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Re: Snow Photos

67-68 for the snowball fight.

Champ OLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond reputeOLDBLUE has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, okay! Ya wanna talk snow on the Tech Campus? Early 1962, a freshman in Thatcher Hall, second floor, for the first and only time, we closed our 1 window. As I recall, 6 degrees overnight in Ruston, covered with snow from the day before. We get dressed and head out the door to get some Bkfast. What we got was excitement. The old T-buildings located behind(East side) Carson-Taylor was the source of a huge black column of smoke. It was exciting for a bit. One related issue - the ROTC office was in the T-building and the duty roster had gone up in smoke. Being in mushroom mode (in the dark and a base of compost - not smokin' or consumin') I was not aware the duty roster found a new home (temporarily) in the Tonk. I missed flag duty and got demerits. Since then, I've never been overly impressed with Louisiana snow.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beaver-Dog View Post
    1967! There was about 5 or 6 inches of snow. I was in Jenkins and our side had a huge snowball fight against the two dorms across the parking lot. I guess Hutchinson split sides. Afterwards we all marched over to the girls dorms for a fau panty raid. Next day the Times called it war protest. Very funny.
    I remember that and also about the Times article. The Times sure got that one wrong!!!!

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

Wasn't the "war protest" snow ball fight during the 1967-1968 school year with the snow coming in January or February 1968?

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Wasn't the "war protest" snow ball fight during the 1967-1968 school year with the snow coming in January or February 1968?
    Yes, I was a Freshman that year (67-68), and it was in the late winter, so it would have been January or February (or maybe even early March) of 1968.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I was there in 1967 in Mitchell if it was 66-67 or Caruthers if it was 67-68. I don't remember real snow,but I do remember and ice storm which made the sidewalks un-walkable. I also remember a hail storm the spring I was in Caruthers. The hail on those metal louvres was horrendous. Woke us up about 6:00 in the morning.
    I believe it was the Spring of 1968. My best friend and I were living in Tech Town Apartments. It was around 6:10AM that we were walking toward campus to get breakfast. It was cold, but not freezing. All of a sudden, we saw hundreds of birds flying over. There were all kinds...blue, black, red, large, and small. We stood there watching since we had never seen anything like that!!! About 60 seconds after the birds passed...the hail started coming down. It was marble size and a LOT of it. We put our books over our heads (no back packs in those days) and ran under a nearby carport.
    The hail only lasted about 5 minutes and quit. Those birds must have been flying for their lives!!! I have never seen or heard of anything like that since then.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

My memory has been pretty good, especially long term, and I honestly don't remember 5-6 inches of snow. It was probably with the ice storm. We had come back after new years and that first week the ice hit. It rained, and as it fell it froze on things. It probably snowed on top of the ice. That would have made Tech Drive impassable. I remember just walking was pretty hard.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

We didn't make snowballs out of ice. I agree it was Spring of '68.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

I was there for the snow of early 1982. While out playing in the snow, a friend and I ran into President F. Jay Taylor who was out walking his dog. I remember we had a short conversation. I thought it was a pretty cool thing.

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

F. Jay was indeed the man! I went to a W BB game at Texas from San Antonio. I had tickets for my son and I waiting at the ticket counter. I had no idea where I was going. All I knew was that I needed to exit I-35 on MLK road. I did the exit then started looking for where to go. I spotted a car with a TECH sticker on it and just followed. The car ducked into a small drive shrouded by trees and into a small parking lot real close to the arena. I thanked the people for saving me on where to go. The lady I was talking to went ahead of me to the ticket window. I got my tickets and we took our seats. Those seats were the best seats I have ever had. I noticed F. Jay way up there in the stands. I found out when the game ended that the lady I was talking to was Coach Barmore's wife and she had switched my tickets with F. Jay's. He stopped me at half time to shake my hand and we made small talk about how I had followed the Techsters while stationed in Korea. He never let on that I had HIS seats during the conversation and was truly interested in an alum such as myself. To this day I think of how generous and genuine that man was!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

+ Reply to Thread