+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tyler Summitt: No Show

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Re: Tyler Summitt: No Show

I wonder what Summitt would do if a player missed a couple of practices for "legitimate" reasons and didn't bother to call him beforehand.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    Who has contacted Tim Fletcher, Malcom, and the athletic department to ask about this... and what were their replies?
    Well now I know first-hand why so many La Tech fans have such high regard for Malcolm Butler. Over the course of a lonnng, busy work day today, I got to exchange several emails with the voice of the Lady Techsters. He has plenty more to do than respond to message board brushfires. But he was generous enough to respond to my inquiry--probably because it was not Tyler's coaching that was being questioned, but his character.

I later asked, and Malcolm gave his permission to copy and post his response to my first email here:

Tyler did in fact miss both interviews yesterday and about four weeks ago. I won’t get into details as to why as that really isn’t anyone’s business. However, both times, we followed up with both parties (Tim Fletcher and Aaron Dietrich/Nick White) and apologized and offered to reschedule for the week. Tyler is actually going on with Tim Fletcher tomorrow at 7:45 a.m.

Tyler has a great relationship with our local media, and it will only improve as they continue to interact. I know that both radio stations appreciate the fact that Tyler and Mike White are open to coming on every week to talk (just as we are appreciative that they give us the opportunity). Keep in mind we have a weekly presser each Monday where both coaches talk (as long as they are in town and available). We provide the video and audio to all of our media outlets (which is why most of them don’t come to the actual presser). Based off of this, we could tell the media outlets to use the audio/video from Monday’s and not worry about the live interviews the next day. However, we don’t because we know the important role our local media plays and what they provide for us.

In my 16 years with this job, Tyler is as open and accommodating with the media (national, regional and local) as any coach I’ve ever dealt with – bar none. He has bent over backwards to provide access to places that the vast majority of coaches would not (locker room, his house, his coaches houses, hotel meeting rooms, shoot-arounds, etc.). He grew up around it with his mother and he understands the importance. He has made every Monday night radio coaches show, every pregame interview and 27 of 28 postgame interviews (and the one he missed he came out to the court within 30 seconds after I signed off the air). My point is he has been unbelievable to work with from my standpoint and from the media’s standpoint.

And when he has made a mistake, he has owned up to it. Louisiana Tech is lucky to have him.

I hope that helps answer your question or concern.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Butler
    Associate Athletics Director of Media Relations

I'm sure his answer to the missed interviews will not satisfy some. But I think anyone who cares to can see that the missed appearances are not reflective of something larger, more serious, or lacking in our head coach. My guess is that there was a reason and it will eventually come to light, if we still remember when and that it ever happened.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Interesting.

This email implies that the radio stations asked him to come on when in fact, Tech asked the radio stations to include TS in the inteviews.

Then he is a two time no show.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

It sounds like the folks that need to be involved are, and I'm not one of them. I've got plenty of other stuff to deal with that does involve me, so this is a closed topic/issue as far as I am concerned.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I
    Well now I know first-hand why so many La Tech fans have such high regard for Malcolm Butler. Over the course of a lonnng, busy work day today, I got to exchange several emails with the voice of the Lady Techsters. He has plenty more to do than respond to message board brushfires. But he was generous enough to respond to my inquiry--probably because it was not Tyler's coaching that was being questioned, but his character.

I later asked, and Malcolm gave his permission to copy and post his response to my first email here:

Tyler did in fact miss both interviews yesterday and about four weeks ago. I won’t get into details as to why as that really isn’t anyone’s business. However, both times, we followed up with both parties (Tim Fletcher and Aaron Dietrich/Nick White) and apologized and offered to reschedule for the week. Tyler is actually going on with Tim Fletcher tomorrow at 7:45 a.m.

Tyler has a great relationship with our local media, and it will only improve as they continue to interact. I know that both radio stations appreciate the fact that Tyler and Mike White are open to coming on every week to talk (just as we are appreciative that they give us the opportunity). Keep in mind we have a weekly presser each Monday where both coaches talk (as long as they are in town and available). We provide the video and audio to all of our media outlets (which is why most of them don’t come to the actual presser). Based off of this, we could tell the media outlets to use the audio/video from Monday’s and not worry about the live interviews the next day. However, we don’t because we know the important role our local media plays and what they provide for us.

In my 16 years with this job, Tyler is as open and accommodating with the media (national, regional and local) as any coach I’ve ever dealt with – bar none. He has bent over backwards to provide access to places that the vast majority of coaches would not (locker room, his house, his coaches houses, hotel meeting rooms, shoot-arounds, etc.). He grew up around it with his mother and he understands the importance. He has made every Monday night radio coaches show, every pregame interview and 27 of 28 postgame interviews (and the one he missed he came out to the court within 30 seconds after I signed off the air). My point is he has been unbelievable to work with from my standpoint and from the media’s standpoint.

And when he has made a mistake, he has owned up to it. Louisiana Tech is lucky to have him.

Sincerely,

Malcolm Butler

I'm sure his answer to the missed interviews will not satisfy some. But I think anyone who cares to can see that the missed appearances are not reflective of something larger, more serious, or lacking in our head coach. My guess is that there was a reason and it will eventually come to light, if we still remember when and that it ever happened.
    Interesting.

You sought the truth and repeated it.

Thank you.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

BO is waaaayyyy too nice to be posting here

It sounds like personal reasons. From what I know of CTS (which to be far is not much) and from the way he carries himself I wouldn't expect him to just blow off something like this that he knew was a big deal as well as a personal commitment. I won't make excuses for him but the "personal reasons" bit is good enough for me.

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

Did TS say that he missed the interviews for personal reasons?

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Woof! View Post
    Did TS say that he missed the interviews for personal reasons?
    I won’t get into details as to why as that really isn’t anyone’s business
    I kinda read into it from the overall tone of the letter as well. A statement from CTS would be nice but I won't hang up about it.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Sincerely,

Malcolm Butler

Thanks Bruised........ Just like Dawgs, people don't let go of a bone around here - until there is a better one.

Personally, I don't think too many are actually worried about this, as anyone who knows him can attest to his character and his openness to the media.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

I won’t get into details as to why as that really isn’t anyone’s business.

Really? Not "anyone's" business? If it's truly some sensitive personal issue, fine, just state that was the reason. Don't need the details. But, ah no, the statement issued by Malcolm is wrong. Reeks of hillaryism. Like, "I'm too good, too important to accommodate you peons."

It certainly IS Tommy Mac's business! It certainly IS Dr. Guice's business! And to an extent, it IS we taxpayer's business! We pay his salary.

I have "direct reports" and if one missed an assignment I would want to know why. If their answer is "none of your business" they would be terminated on the spot. But, I don't have that problem since I have a good relationship with all of my DRs and they would confide in me. In fact, I respect them enough to stop them if they attempted to give me "too much information."

So, let's rewind, Malcolm should have said: Coach Summitt regrets missing an opportunity to get some media exposure, but he had some personal issues to attend to.

Next, am I understanding correctly that Fletch and whomever "got stood up"? If so, that is on Butler as SID and both Tommy Mac and Guice should be livid.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

I don't know how Fletch's show works, but I've done a few radio hits because of my line of work. Usually, they give me a time of when I'll be on. They (usually a producer) have called me and placed me on hold until it was time for my segment. Professional radio shows don't usually have a guest call in at a specific time. Now, this may very well be a case of someone from the show tried to get Tyler for his scheduled time and was unable to reach him. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about this, unlike some of the folks on this thread. Tyler has done a tremendous amount of press this season, both locally and nationally.

As for dawg80's specific comments, the university doesn't owe us an explanation for why he wasn't on a local radio show. It is his direct supervisors' business, and I'm sure they (Tommy, Les and Malcolm) all know the reasons. They are under no obligation to pass that along publicly.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I don't know how Fletch's show works, but I've done a few radio hits because of my line of work. Usually, they give me a time of when I'll be on. They (usually a producer) have called me and placed me on hold until it was time for my segment. Professional radio shows don't usually have a guest call in at a specific time. Now, this may very well be a case of someone from the show tried to get Tyler for his scheduled time and was unable to reach him. I'm not going to get too bent out of shape about this, unlike some of the folks on this thread. Tyler has done a tremendous amount of press this season, both locally and nationally.

As for dawg80's specific comments, the university doesn't owe us an explanation for why he wasn't on a local radio show. It is his direct supervisors' business, and I'm sure they (Tommy, Les and Malcolm) all know the reasons. They are under no obligation to pass that along publicly.

So you can state all the above, knowing this has happened two times recently and knowing Tech asked for the time slots, but Tech did not follow up with the commitment to provide an interview.

Champ bulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timebulldogbacker2 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time

Producers always call guest...that i know

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogbacker2 View Post
    ...having said tha i doubt he broke a commitment twice....
    He did, the WBB guy said he did.

Quote Originally Posted by bulldogbacker2 View Post
    Producers always call guest...that i know
    Yes, but they don't always get an answer.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    He did, the WBB guy said he did.

Yes, but they don't always get an answer.
    Let's take a moment and figure out who is upset about this and why....... I don't like the fact of not honoring commitments - especially with local press. However, there is nothing about Tyler Summit that states this is in his character. Benefit of the doubt goes to him on this for me. If there was a slip up, there was a slip up. We get it fixed (no matter where the fault) and go forward.

It is a non-issue, except for correcting the problem. I am sure (listening to Tyler and how well he gets along with all press) that it will be remedied.

Last regular season game tonight! GO TECHSTERS! Finish strong and put it together in the tournament!

+ Reply to Thread