+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great flood of 1927

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Post Great flood of 1927

Interesting read on the 1927 flood from my hometown newspaper.

http://www.bastropenterprise.com/art...NEWS/150309963

Facts about the Flood of 1927
    • 14 percent of Arkansas' territory was covered by floodwaters
    • The Mississippi reached a width of 60 miles below Memphis
    • 23,000 square miles of land was submerged
    • Some residential areas reported water depth of 30 feet
    • Floodwaters took up to two months to subside in some locations
Levees broke in nearly 150 locations
    • Damage estimates topped $400 million
    • Over 700,000 people were displaced
    • Bastrop housed approximately 7,000 refugees

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Great flood of 1927

Levees were broken on purpose in Arkansas correct? Legend has it that it was to relieve the levees in the more densely populated areas of South Louisiana.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Levees were broken on purpose in Arkansas correct? Legend has it that it was to relieve the levees in the more densely populated areas of South Louisiana.
    That's what I always heard

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Good old Memorial Gym

Varsity Bulldog barkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of lightbarkly is a glorious beacon of light barkly's Avatar

One of my favorite Aaron Neville recordings was about the 1927 flood. Take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfvnM4Grik

Champ RougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRougeDawg has a reputation beyond repute RougeDawg's Avatar

That was the start of big Federal government.

Champ Dawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her gameDawg04 is on top of his/her game Dawg04's Avatar

Highly recommend -
    Rising Tide: The Great Mississippi Flood of 1927 and How it Changed America - http://www.amazon.com/Rising-Tide-Mississippi-Changed-America/dp/0684840022

Champ DawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond reputeDawgFaninHous has a reputation beyond repute DawgFaninHous's Avatar

My Mom has a picture of my Grandfather and his sister sitting on the balcony of the 2nd floor of a hotel in Ferriday with their feet in the water!

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    My Mom has a picture of my Grandfather and his sister sitting on the balcony of the 2nd floor of a hotel in Ferriday with their feet in the water!
    I have some pictures somewhere of the mail being handed out the second story window of the post office in Jonesville, which is 14 miles west of Ferriday. There were several refugees living on the great mound in jonesville, and were there for weeks!

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I had pics at one time of people riding in boats down Main Street in Winnsboro.

Quote Originally Posted by barkly View Post
    One of my favorite Aaron Neville recordings was about the 1927 flood. Take a listen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyfvnM4Grik
    Written by Randy Newman

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/27/ar...f=slogi..&_r=0

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I had pics at one time of people riding in boats down Main Street in Winnsboro.
    If you find it I want a copy!

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BhadDawg View Post
    I have some pictures somewhere of the mail being handed out the second story window of the post office in Jonesville, which is 14 miles west of Ferriday. There were several refugees living on the great mound in jonesville, and were there for weeks!
    Frogmore and Monterey is between the two. I was down there yesterday. Northeast LA got the shaft as usual when as I have heard it a couple of New Orleans mobsters stuffed the levee full of dynamite.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KSDAWG View Post
    If you find it I want a copy!
    It disappeared in 2011 when we moved along with several other things.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    That's what I always heard
    Exactly it. Many of the older people in St. Charles (Chalmette) and other surrounding New Orleans still hold a grudge. In fact, they were very suspicious of all the flooding and the levee breaking from Katrina because of the history of this flood. At least, the relatives of my ex-brother-in-law who are from there.

+ Reply to Thread