+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Late signing period

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Late signing period

I know we have a nice class coming in; however, I would still like to see the Techsters bring in a JUCO forward who can play the 4/5 and a shooting guard.

Varsity Bulldog BruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the roughBruisedOrange is a jewel in the rough

Re: Late signing period

It's an intriguing idea, ACS, with lots of considerations. I think the only reason your post sat here unacknowledged for so long was because this season--especially its conclusion--kind of wore fans down. Instead of seeing a pattern of improvement throughout the season, we just saw flashes of good, even great, play... then unexplainable lapses back into pre-season form and freshmen mistakes. Coach Insell had a sympathetic quote after the game about knowing "how hard it is to coach seniors."

So how much can a coach do with juniors?

Here's a conversation starter list of thoughts (if anyone cares to join)...

The skill needs of our team are evident. You don't get to the Derby with average horses. What a talented JUCO transfer could bring to us on-court seems straightforward.

On the cautionary side of the argument, CTS is rebuilding a program from the ground up, with on- and off-court standards. So (1) any JUCO transfer would have to already be living "in compliance" with those off-court standards.

(2) Much of the success of a program depends on upperclassmen who know the coach, system, and standards, demonstrating, relating, and mentoring new teammates into the program. They become an extension of the coaching staff, translating and explaining the whats and whys behind what gets barked out in practice. A JUCOtrans inevitably becomes an upperclassman in need of a mentor. How far along does a program need to be to successfully assimilate a JUCOtrans?

(3) You have to ask, how many JUCOs are even out there who already have the off-court values and lifestyle... in-class standards... on-court quality, skills, system knowledge, and basketball IQ... to come right in and contribute at a level superior to the ones CTS recruited who have 2 years experience in the system? And won't such a player have been on every top-tier program's radar for many years?
    Of course, the answer to all that is, "We only need one."

I have the impression (read: uninformed bias) that there are more male JUCO success stories because it's more typical for a 1st class male athlete to hit the realities of immaturity, academic laziness, etc. Some accept that challenge in hopes of a shot at the NCAA. I don't know what the relative statistics are, though.

My other impression (same caveat) is that the few top-tier female athletes (with the academic qualifications) who end up following the JUCO way to NCAA play most likely had their career track derailed by pregnancy. So they tend to be older, wiser, and have assembled a good support group/extended family in order to re-pursue their dreams (and a scholarship that means more than ever).

What's everyone else thinking?

Big Dog ACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to allACSlatech1994 is a name known to all

Quote Originally Posted by BruisedOrange View Post
    It's an intriguing idea, ACS, with lots of considerations. I think the only reason your post sat here unacknowledged for so long was because this season--especially its conclusion--kind of wore fans down. Instead of seeing a pattern of improvement throughout the season, we just saw flashes of good, even great, play... then unexplainable lapses back into pre-season form and freshmen mistakes. Coach Insell had a sympathetic quote after the game about knowing "how hard it is to coach seniors."

So how much can a coach do with juniors?

Here's a conversation starter list of thoughts (if anyone cares to join)...

The skill needs of our team are evident. You don't get to the Derby with average horses. What a talented JUCO transfer could bring to us on-court seems straightforward.

On the cautionary side of the argument, CTS is rebuilding a program from the ground up, with on- and off-court standards. So (1) any JUCO transfer would have to already be living "in compliance" with those off-court standards.

(2) Much of the success of a program depends on upperclassmen who know the coach, system, and standards, demonstrating, relating, and mentoring new teammates into the program. They become an extension of the coaching staff, translating and explaining the whats and whys behind what gets barked out in practice. A JUCOtrans inevitably becomes an upperclassman in need of a mentor. How far along does a program need to be to successfully assimilate a JUCOtrans?

(3) You have to ask, how many JUCOs are even out there who already have the off-court values and lifestyle... in-class standards... on-court quality, skills, system knowledge, and basketball IQ... to come right in and contribute at a level superior to the ones CTS recruited who have 2 years experience in the system? And won't such a player have been on every top-tier program's radar for many years?
    Of course, the answer to all that is, "We only need one."

I have the impression (read: uninformed bias) that there are more male JUCO success stories because it's more typical for a 1st class male athlete to hit the realities of immaturity, academic laziness, etc. Some accept that challenge in hopes of a shot at the NCAA. I don't know what the relative statistics are, though.

My other impression (same caveat) is that the few top-tier female athletes (with the academic qualifications) who end up following the JUCO way to NCAA play most likely had their career track derailed by pregnancy. So they tend to be older, wiser, and have assembled a good support group/extended family in order to re-pursue their dreams (and a scholarship that means more than ever).

What's everyone else thinking?
    I agree with the overall point of your post; however, I mentioned JUCO post simply because of experience. Without bringing anyone else in we will be very thin in the post. If both Moten and Wingate start that will leave a bench of Cleaver 6'2 Freshman, Gipson 6'2 Freshman, Davenport (listed as 6'0) Sophmore and Rushin 6'6 Freshman. Additionally, Jackson did not have a very productive year at shooting guard. Hopefully she will better adjust to the new system and contribute at off guard position.

Champ Russdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond reputeRussdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ACSlatech1994 View Post
    I agree with the overall point of your post; however, I mentioned JUCO post simply because of experience. Without bringing anyone else in we will be very thin in the post. If both Moten and Wingate start that will leave a bench of Cleaver 6'2 Freshman, Gipson 6'2 Freshman, Davenport (listed as 6'0) Sophmore and Rushin 6'6 Freshman. Additionally, Jackson did not have a very productive year at shooting guard. Hopefully she will better adjust to the new system and contribute at off guard position.
    Jackson had some IMPRESSIVE games as a freshmen. This seemed to be the dreaded "sophomore jinx" year. She can help us a lot when she returns to form.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

AC, the need for a solid BIG was veirified in the MTSU game where Wingate and Molton were held to what, 4 pts and 4 rebounds combined?
    The recrutes we have coming in will or should be awesome but it probably will not be next year!
    It would be interesting to know how the Grissly gal, pardon my spelling or Ellinor Griffith's daughter is doing at BPCC.. she I know is 6'2" and should be a Jr. next year and had always dreamed of being a Techster like her mom!
    But, then there's that Standards Thing!
    Sometimes you can set the goal bar just a bit out of reach!

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

Orange, you make too much sense for this board (:÷)

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

Seem's that if Tyler and co. had someone in mind for a Jrco, to join the Techsters we would have herd by now?
    Depth chart as it stands....
    1. Pomroy, Anthony
    2. Santos, Richie
    3. Davenport, LaBlanc
    4. Wingate, Cleaver
    5. Molton, Gibson, Rushin

only 4 players returning whill have had any on court playing time as a Techster...
    Wingate, Molton, Richie, and Davenport
    2 Transfers, that's worked out with the team and that is familiar with Tyler's system is:
    Pomroy and SantosBoth will definatly get a starting spot and both expected to be im-pack players.
    Richie and Davenport might be battling for that last starting spot if Wingate and Molton get the nod at the 4. and 5. positions.
    As it stands the team will have 11 players, 5 will be true freshmen...
    Cleaver, LeBlanc, and Anthony all will get plenty of playing time
    and possibly could make the starting line up if the stars line up...
    Don't know much about Gibson but thinking Rushin will take some time to develop but will be a force for the Techsters down the road and could cause problems for the opposing team in the paint, even as a Freshman possibly....

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BlindDog View Post
    Seem's that if Tyler and co. had someone in mind for a Jrco, to join the Techsters we would have herd by now?
    Depth chart as it stands....
    1. Pomroy, Anthony
    2. Santos, Richie
    3. Davenport, LaBlanc
    4. Wingate, Cleaver
    5. Molton, Gibson, Rushin

only 4 players returning whill have had any on court playing time as a Techster...
    Wingate, Molton, Richie, and Davenport
    2 Transfers, that's worked out with the team and that is familiar with Tyler's system is:
    Pomroy and SantosBoth will definatly get a starting spot and both expected to be im-pack players.
    Richie and Davenport might be battling for that last starting spot if Wingate and Molton get the nod at the 4. and 5. positions.
    As it stands the team will have 11 players, 5 will be true freshmen...
    Cleaver, LeBlanc, and Anthony all will get plenty of playing time
    and possibly could make the starting line up if the stars line up...
    Don't know much about Gibson but thinking Rushin will take some time to develop but will be a force for the Techsters down the road and could cause problems for the opposing team in the paint, even as a Freshman possibly....
    I wouldn't give up on a late signee, but haven't heard anything. That is a pretty good line up for next year, though. I think Wingate could be better than we think heading into the year.

Varsity Bulldog kj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nicekj77 is just really nice

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    I wouldn't give up on a late signee, but haven't heard anything. That is a pretty good line up for next year, though. I think Wingate could be better than we think heading into the year.
    At the banquet last night Tyler made the comment that there was the possibility they could be signing a sixth player for next year. I agree with you about Wingate too, she's fired up for the season already! She's also been named one of the summer captains, so it's great to see her step into a leadership role with Santos and Pumroy.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by kj77 View Post
    At the banquet last night Tyler made the comment that there was the possibility they could be signing a sixth player for next year. I agree with you about Wingate too, she's fired up for the season already! She's also been named one of the summer captains, so it's great to see her step into a leadership role with Santos and Pumroy.
    She showed some great flashes last year. I think she has the ability to be one of our top players. Great news about the possibility of another addition. Hope it happens. We were in bad need of depth last year.

I, also, hope Moten is continuing to work hard over the Spring and Summer. She has SO much potential and could be a nighmare matchup for some teams.

+ Reply to Thread