+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Best way around tunnel in Mobile?

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Best way around tunnel in Mobile?

Traveling to beach next month and want to know how to avoid I-10 and the tunnel. GPS only offers 1 route. Been going same way for years and seems I can hit traffic at I-10 no matter what time we pass thru.

Thanks!

Champ BhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond reputeBhadDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Best way around tunnel in Mobile?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    Traveling to beach next month and want to know how to avoid I-10 and the tunnel. GPS only offers 1 route. Been going same way for years and seems I can hit traffic at I-10 no matter what time we pass thru.

Thanks!
    You can take I-20 to Jackson, ms and 49 to Hattiesburg, then 98 to Mobile. There is a wide/hazardous load detour around the tunnel once in Mobile, never took it before but know that it exist. Traveled this route to Mobile for several years found that it did take a little more time sometimes, but missing traffic from Hammond to Slidel on I-10 was well worth it.
    I think there is only three ways across the channel at mobile, the tunnel, a bridge just North of that, and the Mobile Bay Ferry.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

We have always gone that same route-Jackson, Hattiesburg, Mobile. I just want to avoid the 45 minutes or more that it always seems to take to get across the bay. It sucks to be so close to Orange Beach and feel like we are still a day away.

Puppy techbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nicetechbluedog is just really nice

We have always gone that same route-Jackson, Hattiesburg, Mobile. I just want to avoid the 45 minutes or more that it always seems to take to get across the bay. It sucks to be so close to Orange Beach and feel like we are still a day away.
    We come in from Ruston - hattisburg and once in mobile take the old tunnel Bankhead. When u exit tunnel continue straight on lower road that goes by the warship. No traffic at all. The road goes under the I10 bridge then you just follow the signs back to I10 and take Daphne/Fairhope and u r back on your way and everyone else is still in heavy traffic.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

I've probably done the trip down 98 from Hattiesburg to Mobile toward Gulf Shores, Orange Beach, Pensacola and beyond at least 50 times (counting returns). Taking I-10 through the tunnel is the fastest way.

The best alternative to the tunnel is the bridge that starts in downtown Mobile and goes over the Mobile River. Anything other than those two choices takes much longer to get to the other side of Mobile Bay.

The nearest bridge across the Mobile River is the I-65 bridge north of Mobile. I've been over the I-65 bridge going South to get to Mobile. It's a 20 to 30 minute drive from downtown Mobile.

Upon further research from a handful of sources, it seems our best bet is to just make sure we hit Mobile between 2 and 3 o'clock. Therein avoiding high traffic hours.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Saw this thread and all I could think about was: helicopter.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Getting ready to hit the road back home from Destin. The tunnel is usually the worst part but is the fastest way I've found.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Update...

Made 2 trips through Mobile this summer. We found it much faster to go north on 65 instead of south. Coming into the tunnel from Water St instead of all the way down I-10. Saved us about 30 minutes both times!

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Update...

Made 2 trips through Mobile this summer. We found it much faster to go north on 65 instead of south. Coming into the tunnel from Water St instead of all the way down I-10. Saved us about 30 minutes both times!

Affirmative

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Update...

So what do you do from 98?

From 98, go north on 65, then take 165 into downtown, take Water St into tunnel. You can also go a litt further north to the bay bridge. That way you avoid the lights going all the way through Mobile and also avoid the bumper to bumper nightmare on I-10

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

From 98, go north on 65, then take 165 into downtown, take Water St into tunnel. You can also go a litt further north to the bay bridge. That way you avoid the lights going all the way through Mobile and also avoid the bumper to bumper nightmare on I-10
    Thanks. I will try one of these options next time through

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    Thanks. I will try one of these options next time through
    Skill, I should have said either way you go, 165 straight to downtown or across the bay bridge will avoid the traffic you encounter by staying on 98 all the way thru.

+ Reply to Thread