+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Some answers and more questions...

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Some answers and more questions...

The QB race:
    I thought Higgins had a better scrimmage than Driskel but Driskel still seems like the better qb to me. The reason I say that is because Higgins had both Taylor and Henderson on his team. Nobody could cover Taylor yesterday, and if he was covered, just throw the ball in his direction and he made the catch in traffic. Childress sort of reminds you of Taylor but he isn't quite as quick and his hands aren't as good yet.

Henderson was owning the db's until they switched Abraham onto him. Bryson covered him up--even beating him for a jump ball on a fade route. On the Blue squad (Driskel), Watts was torching them early until they switched Barnes onto him. Neither Watts or Seay could do anything against Barnes.

The DB's:
    I apologize to any friends or family members (of players) for what might sound offensive... Our starting defensive backfield looks good in pass coverage and tackling, very good. I don't think Brice is a great pass defender (saw him beaten once yesterday) but he makes up for it in his tackling. Thus our first 4--Woods, Brice, Barnes, and Abraham look great. After them, it was UGLY...

Even though Dunn got some quality pt last year, he didn't have a good scrimmage. At least he was in position to make a play, the other corners were dominated. At back-up safety, I do remember Cooper getting a pick. Watts abused Jacobs so badly it didn't look fair. Seay torched Cobb, it wasn't close. Then, if Barnes was on Seay, he couldn't get open. Tony Griffin was equally ineffective. Ineptitude wasn't limited to the White team, McCullough also struggled. Made me wonder how good guys like Oliver and Childress and McAlindon really are. I mean, if the same player can burn our back-ups but can't get open against our starters, what about the guys that were never covered by our starters?

OL/DL:
    I'm admittedly bad at evaluating interior line play. I see a pile of big dudes and don't know how they fall whatever way. That said, I KNOW Ferguson played well at end. He got consistent pressure and blew up a run or 2. I also thought 47 (Blue team) looked good on multiple plays. The roster said it was Anderson, but this guys was a DE and bigger than Anderson's dimensions. I also noticed Canty getting pressure on for the White. I didn't see Dora do much yesterday. The offensive line got the best of the DL in pass protection, but I thought the d'lines were better in run defense.

LB:
    For the most part, I thought the linebackers struggled in pass coverage (not surprisingly). The underneath stuff was open. Mims made alot of tackles. I thought Moore was aggressive and athletic. Farris sticks his nose in there as does Hogan. Seems like Fitte might be the most versatile. Durmon didn't impress me but he's still green.

RB:
    Craft has emerged imo. He's the second best back without question, he seems to be playing faster and less tentative.

There were other highlights and players who contributed. But these are some things that struck me while watching.

Oh yeah, the punting was atrocious.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Some answers and more questions...

At WR-

Henderson is really good with the ball in his hands. Trent Taylor looked great as well. Watts has great speed and length, creates a mismatch for most corners. Gaines is quick and elusive. I was also impressed by Oliver. Smith looks like a solid player/possession receiver. Gator (McAlindon) can get open and catches the ball. Also liked Childress. With Turner's return, we are LOADED with quality receivers.

Driskel made some poor passes into coverage (hung the ball up) but he can make NFL throws and is very nimble/fast/powerful with his legs. I like him. Higgins seems to have learned alot from Sokol in looking off the db's and then making nice passes. Craft catches ball and is dynamic in the open field. I was impressed by Price too. He's more mobile than I thought. I don't think he's as good the other 2 at this point though. Like I mentioned earlier, Henderson and Taylor are too much for our back-up db's. Having both of them on the same team gave a distinct advantage to the White team's qb. I thought Connor Smith and Driskel connected for some nice plays, as did Seay and Watts (early).

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Great write-up, Boxer.

So what's the story on Seay? Sounds like he had a big day again yesterday (2 TD's) after having a big day in last year's spring game as well. Yet, I don't recall him making much of an impression during the 2014 season.

Is Seay just the "king of practice drills", or can we expect him to make an appearance during show time in 2015?

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Great write-up, Boxer.

So what's the story on Seay? Sounds like he had a big day again yesterday (2 TD's) after having a big day in last year's spring game as well. Yet, I don't recall him making much of an impression during the 2014 season.

Is Seay just the "king of practice drills", or can we expect him to make an appearance during show time in 2015?
    He looks really good against subpar defenders but Barnes locked him down every time I saw him cover Seay. That's nothing to wink at since Barnes is the best cover corner we've had since Tramon. I honestly think he is even better than Tramon. At this point, I think Turner is better than Seay. With Trent being a stud inside, being complemented by Smith, and Henderson/Watts with a sprinkling of Gaines on the outside--I don't see Seay demanding alot of balls (once Turner returns). He might be one of the first one up on the outside though. Kameron McKnight is also an impressive specimen, he's built like a tight end.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

boxer, you made me realize we haven't recruited enough DBs the past 4 years. This really is a huge issue.. after out starters, we have three guys that signed with us on signing day (Dunn, Jacob, Cooper)

We were the only offers for Dunn and Jacob.

Maybe someone like Johnny Shaw, James Jackson, or Aaron Roberson will be ready to contribute because with an injury here or there we could be in for a long season @ DB.

Is it just me or are you guys also worried about the size at OLB whether it be Mims or Cleveland starting? Can they take fight off offensive guards and get to the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    boxer, you made me realize we haven't recruited enough DBs the past 4 years. This really is a huge issue.. after out starters, we have three guys that signed with us on signing day (Dunn, Jacob, Cooper)

We were the only offers for Dunn and Jacob.

Maybe someone like Johnny Shaw, James Jackson, or Aaron Roberson will be ready to contribute because with an injury here or there we could be in for a long season @ DB.

Is it just me or are you guys also worried about the size at OLB whether it be Mims or Cleveland starting? Can they take fight off offensive guards and get to the ball?
    I heard Kitchen is good. I KNOW Roberson is exactly the type of guy we need to recruit from S'port/Bossier (best athletes usually play offense here). I think he will play this year because he is faster, stronger, and jumps higher than the guys I watched yesterday. He was the city's player of the year for a reason.

As for LB, I hate losing Johnson's size in the middle more than the guys on the outside. That dude could fill a hole and had a knack for batting balls into the air. I think Grogan/Mims/Cleveland are ok for the outside to replace Pinson. I realize Thomason will be back. I also hope Fitte can replace Vilamez. Farris is tough. Moore looks like he will be good if he learns the system. To be honest, Hogan really impressed me too. He's short but he's tenacious.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

I spent a lot of time watching Edinburg-- before and during game. He is not only huge (6'8-330) but not an ounce of fat showing ( that big gotta have some hid somewhere ) . I will be disappointed if he does not develop into special player.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quick note-- Sean Cangelosia was at game-- he has 3 daughters and son on way. He is incredibly nice young man. Family hangs with my sons family in BR. ( few may not know he caught pass to beat Alabama on last play of game )

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    Quick note-- Sean Cangelosia was at game-- he has 3 daughters and son on way. He is incredibly nice young man. Family hangs with my sons family in BR. ( few may not know he caught pass to beat Alabama on last play of game )
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPDwKiYSRNY

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

I spent a lot of time watching Edinburg-- before and during game. He is not only huge (6'8-330) but not an ounce of fat showing ( that big gotta have some hid somewhere ) . I will be disappointed if he does not develop into special player.
    He can't move. Bull rush him and he plants you into the ground. Take two steps to the outside and you have a clear path to the qb.

Champ latech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond reputelatech has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the input and observations, y'all!

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

I watched #75 DarrellBrown OL 6-4 300 for a long while. He can move for a big guy and was keeping everyone on his side off the QB.

Champ RhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhinoDawg has a reputation beyond repute

Where was Nick Thomason? Injured?

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhinoDawg View Post
    Where was Nick Thomason? Injured?
    He will be ready for the fall.

Champ cscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond reputecscollis has a reputation beyond repute

He has all of the physical tools but needs a lot work with his feet. At left tackle, he would step up with his right foot to push off on pass plays. With better footwork, he will be a starter. I was impressed with the other OLmen also. The only thing I didn't see was a nasty streak in any of them.

+ Reply to Thread