+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hotel guest tax 1.5%

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: Hotel guest tax 1.5%

Quote Originally Posted by DawgFaninHous View Post
    Since the I-Bowl is still a civic organization and you have access to the politicians and generals who want this to pass, perhaps they can use some of their influence on the I-Bowl and get more Tech people involved, especially from a management standpoint. This might be the very catalyst for change!!!!

That would go along way in convincing other Tech people to back this bill because what I am hearing here, the only thing keeping that from happening is the I-bowl management team. I guarantee that if CUSA or Tech had the inside track on this bowl, the current management group is changed and they get off their 'high horse' about SEC/ACC , this could be a good thing for the north Louisiana area. We have it in Houston, along with 4 state of the art sports facilities and 2 major convention centers.

DFiH
    makes sense but I think the I-bowl needs to stay on sideline and let Barksdale-- Cyberspace and fiscal conservatives promote this--- you have folks thae will cut off their own nose if they think it helps i-bowl. Big picture folks understandmo bill is ever perfect. Weird thing is one of the more powerfull bowl guys is die-hard Dog fan and been Chairman of Na La Alumni assct and lot of Tech fundraising. They just trying to survive over there (this bill will not save them alone)...

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

Maybe the Bulldog Krewe over there can become members of the IBowl redcoats (or whatever they are) and start gaining majority control.

Sounds like a plan to me.
    Louisiana Tech University
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Champ glm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond reputeglm47 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by qng001 View Post
    I don't get why everything is lumped into one bill? I think supporting the airport is great, but why should the I-Bowl benefit from it? The same stupid folks will be running the Bowl and organization, they just get more money to play with.
    I agree with this. As long as I-Bowl is part of the deal I'm not supporting it. Shreveport can get LSU to bail them out since they're so in love with their tigers.

Champ Built4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond reputeBuilt4Speed has a reputation beyond repute Built4Speed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I agree with this. As long as I-Bowl is part of the deal I'm not supporting it. Shreveport can get LSU to bail them out since they're so in love with their tigers.

Progressive King of 2011 Dawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond reputeDawgpix has a reputation beyond repute Dawgpix's Avatar

I don't live in SBC, so I can't vote for (support) or vote against such a referendum. All I can do is not stay in a SBC hotel/motel.

Until the hospitality business (which two of them benefit from as host team hotels for the IBOWL . . . and any future, potential C-USA hoops tourney) gets on board it is still gonna be tough to pass.

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by glm47 View Post
    I completely undrstand, Cyberspace creates jobs for Tech Graduates ( 100million) in last 7 years and Tech has spent 20million since 2007 on training engineers for Cyber attacks etc. Since San Antonio got the last big batch of Fed money based on many things including airport issues--lets creates those opportunities in Texas and to heck with Tech. While we are at it, lets ignore the Barksdale 4 star general who states unequivocably that this will help fight terrorists--DID YOU KNOW Isis had website naming key Barksdale folks, photos-home address and familiy? Did you know they are encouranging attacks on Barksdale military?-- yes, I understand your petty grievance with I-Bowl and understand why American security is secondary .....

. . . and if by some chance SHV gets more direct flights, then isn't that better for us in northern Louisiana that driving to New Orleans or Little Rock or Jackson?

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsince65 View Post
    I completely undrstand, Cyberspace creates jobs for Tech Graduates ( 100million) in last 7 years and Tech has spent 20million since 2007 on training engineers for Cyber attacks etc. Since San Antonio got the last big batch of Fed money based on many things including airport issues--lets creates those opportunities in Texas and to heck with Tech. While we are at it, lets ignore the Barksdale 4 star general who states unequivocably that this will help fight terrorists--DID YOU KNOW Isis had website naming key Barksdale folks, photos-home address and familiy? Did you know they are encouranging attacks on Barksdale military?-- yes, I understand your petty grievance with I-Bowl and understand why American security is secondary .....
    Do you believe seriously that telling people that you understand their "petty grievance" is going to make anyone vote with you? You are a TECH fan, of that I have no doubt. I do however; think those that support this bowl are crazy with all they have done to screw TECH. I have no idea whether I will support this or not. I would easily vote yes without the I-bowl. The fact remains they have screwed my school over and over and think we are beneath them, and they should not be part of this bill. My other concern is throwing money at anything in our area does not mean anything will improve. There is no one in charge with a plan to move forward in Shreveport. Throwing money at something doesn't necessarily "fix" it.

Champ Champ967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond reputeChamp967 has a reputation beyond repute Champ967's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cal&Ken View Post
    Throwing money at something doesn't necessarily "fix" it.
    Try telling that to the "recruiting" cabal that's taken over our stadium.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is easily fixed by separating the IBowl and putting it on it's own to be passed. I think most on here would support this without the IBowl tied in.........

BTW, I am in Texas, so can't vote anyway.....

Champ Geaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond reputeGeaux Dawgs has a reputation beyond repute

I am voting for it. It is a good thing all the way around.......The funny thing is people don't want to vote for it and it WILL NOT EFFECT THEM ONE IOTA!!!! Unless of course they stay in a hotel around here......then is will cost them roughly a dollar more!!!!

Our positive presence in CUSA will presuade the dumabasses in the I-Bowl to have CUSA on one side and likely SEC on the other........win, win for us if you ask me.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just glad I have a free place to stay when I visit SBC. While at first blush it appears that the residents are putting the onus on "visitors" it could backfire. In Houston they include rental cars in their "visitor tax" and guess what? You have to pay the tax even if you aren't a visitor and just need to rent a car for some reason (repairs mostly). Of course all you have to do is make sure you're outside the Houston city limits when you rent. I'm just surprised that there are not more rental companies just on the borders of Houston.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I'm just glad I have a free place to stay when I visit SBC. While at first blush it appears that the residents are putting the onus on "visitors" it could backfire. In Houston they include rental cars in their "visitor tax" and guess what? You have to pay the tax even if you aren't a visitor and just need to rent a car for some reason (repairs mostly). Of course all you have to do is make sure you're outside the Houston city limits when you rent. I'm just surprised that there are not more rental companies just on the borders of Houston.
    . . . and a true hospitality tax would include restaurants . . . or in some tourist communities they have their separate "hamburger tax."

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgpix View Post
    . . . and a true hospitality tax would include restaurants . . . or in some tourist communities they have their separate "hamburger tax."
    This is true. However, it would affect residents heavily and couldn't be sold as a "tourist tax". I just don't believe that Houston really considered how ther rental car tax would affect residents. Since I don't live in Houston proper I try not to rent cars there on the few times as I have had to. I did get caught once when I didn't know I was in Houston and forgot that it spills over into my county.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geaux Dawgs View Post
    Our positive presence in CUSA will presuade the dumabasses in the I-Bowl to have CUSA on one side and likely SEC on the other........win, win for us if you ask me.
    All the bowls already have contracts for tie-ins through the 2019-20 season, and C-USA/AAC will only play in the I-Bowl when the SEC can't fill their spot.

Also, neither C-USA nor Tech need the I-Bowl anymore. We are their backup, and they are our backup. We already have 6 guaranteed primary bowl tie-ins in a 10 bowl rotation with 2 more new bowls waiting for approval (Austin and Tucson). If the I-Bowl dies, another bowl will replace it whether it be in Little Rock, Los Angeles, Dubai, Ireland, Toronto, or elsewhere. If we become bowl eligible, I don't think we will have problems getting a bowl invite like we've had in the past.

+ Reply to Thread