+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rule Question/Discussion

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Rule Question/Discussion

Yes, I know there is already a thread, but I didn't feel like looking it up...

Last night in the WM/Sulpher game, Tech signee Dustin Mitchell got a crucial hit but a balk was called on the pitcher. Base runner advanced, but Mitchell had to stay in the batters box.

I've seen umps get this one wrong before (call dead ball) and, without looking it up, I remember the offense having the choice of taking the play or not. Obviously WM would have taken the play.

The only thing I can imagine would be that high school rules are different than MLB in this particular situation.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Re: Rule Question/Discussion

Just got word that the rule is different in high school. Why does the LHSAA feel the need to make up their own rules? Anybody know what the college rule is on this?

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

The LHSAA did not make up the rules. They follow NFHS rules, as do all high schools. I believe the rule in NCAA is that on a balk with a pitch made, it's a "delayed dead ball". If the offense benefits by runners advancing at least one base, no balk is called. If not, a balk is called and runners move up one base. The coach is not allowed to decide which one to take.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mentechsters View Post
    The LHSAA did not make up the rules. They follow NFHS rules, as do all high schools. I believe the rule in NCAA is that on a balk with a pitch made, it's a "delayed dead ball". If the offense benefits by runners advancing at least one base, no balk is called. If not, a balk is called and runners move up one base. The coach is not allowed to decide which one to take.
    This is exactly right. The LHSAA follows the national federation rules, which say a balk is an immediate dead ball and no pitch.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Big Dog BullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the roughBullPupN'46 is a jewel in the rough BullPupN'46's Avatar

And that is THAT!!!

Thanks. It's very confusing for umps who call Dixie and High School. Other than a few rules Dixie goes by the MLB book. Not sure what Utrip does.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Thanks. It's very confusing for umps who call Dixie and High School. Other than a few rules Dixie goes by the MLB book. Not sure what Utrip does.
    USSSA has some of its own unique rules, but defaults to MLB on almost everything.

Champ mentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud ofmentechsters has much to be proud of mentechsters's Avatar

Speaking of West Monroe, glad to see Coach Sim have a great year over there.

Speaking of West Monroe, glad to see Coach Sim have a great year over there.
    I believe he'll win a state title in 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    I believe he'll win a state title in 2-3 years.
    Very possible. West Monroe has the numbers and talent to be a contender nearly every year, but 5A is a beast. There are about 10-12 schools that have a legitimate shot every year just because of their talent pool.

Very possible. West Monroe has the numbers and talent to be a contender nearly every year, but 5A is a beast. There are about 10-12 schools that have a legitimate shot every year just because of their talent pool.
    Yep. The Lafayette-Lake Charles district is absolutely ridiculous (Barbe finished tied for 4th this year!), as is the Catholic League, and Catholic of Baton Rouge is one of the strongest programs in the state. I don't know what WM has as far as young pitchers, but they've got two of the best outfielders in the state as a sophomore and a freshman!

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

Yes, I know there is already a thread, but I didn't feel like looking it up...

Last night in the WM/Sulpher game, Tech signee Dustin Mitchell got a crucial hit but a balk was called on the pitcher. Base runner advanced, but Mitchell had to stay in the batters box.

I've seen umps get this one wrong before (call dead ball) and, without looking it up, I remember the offense having the choice of taking the play or not. Obviously WM would have taken the play.

The only thing I can imagine would be that high school rules are different than MLB in this particular situation.
    In high school baseball, a balk is an "immediate dead ball" at the time of the balk and the base runner(s) is awarded a base.

In college baseball, a balk is a delayed dead ball. Therefore, if the batter gets a hit and "all" the base runners advance at least one base the balk is ignored.

LaLaffDave is late to the party.

Varsity Bulldog CajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your timeCajunDave1 Ultimate jerk and not worth your time CajunDave1's Avatar

LaLaffDave is late to the party.
    Can't waste my time trolling here every day. HaHaHa!

What a great game. Never stop learning new stuff. Last night the Charlotte 1st baseman came up to field a bunt on his side, but the pitcher fielded it first. The second baseman did not cover 1st. Our batter was safe and a run scored. No error was charged.

I'm sure most of you knew this, but somehow I had missed this fairly simple scoring rule...

The official scorer shall not score mental mistakes or misjudgments as errors unless a specific rule prescribes otherwise

+ Reply to Thread