+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Men's Rules for next season

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Re: New Men's Rules for next season

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    He ticky-tacked you when responding to to your comments on ticky-tack fouls?
    Nope, I hammered him good. Ticky-tack would've been if I didn't sign my comment!
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    Nope, I hammered him good. Ticky-tack would've been if I didn't sign my comment!
    Touché

Varsity Bulldog SteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the roughSteveyTI is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, the whole "let them play" argument is stupid. Basketball is way too physical these days. I'm a huge believer in freedom of movement. Athletes should be allowed to be athletes, not get hammered off the ball all the time. This isn't football. Your so called "ticky tack fouls" are, ya know, um, fouls.
    No, its not stupid. Its true. Go watch some film from the Big East games 10-15 years ago. College basketball is supposed to be physical.

Physicality has nothing to do with being an athlete. Its part of the game. Physical athletes are the players who dominate games.

My point was mainly directed at the pace of play to begin with, not what style of play you happen to prefer. When they changed the rules 2-3 years ago they intentionally made it easier for a foul to be called. Their reasoning at that time was to increase scoring through free throws....which resulted in the pace of the game being slowed. Now they are looking for ways to get it back. Well I for one and many others that (obviously not you) think the sport took a hit in watchability and entertainment watching free throws all the time.

The "ticky tack fouls" were not fouls three years ago. Now they are. That makes the game worse (regardless of what you think)

Also, next time how bout just rebutting in the forum (which is...u know..kinda what its for and why people post here), and not be a douche and detract reputation points for an opinion you happen not to agree with.

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Quote Originally Posted by SteveyTI View Post
    No, its not stupid. Its true. Go watch some film from the Big East games 10-15 years ago. College basketball is supposed to be physical.

Physicality has nothing to do with being an athlete. Its part of the game. Physical athletes are the players who dominate games.

My point was mainly directed at the pace of play to begin with, not what style of play you happen to prefer. When they changed the rules 2-3 years ago they intentionally made it easier for a foul to be called. Their reasoning at that time was to increase scoring through free throws....which resulted in the pace of the game being slowed. Now they are looking for ways to get it back. Well I for one and many others that (obviously not you) think the sport took a hit in watchability and entertainment watching free throws all the time.

The "ticky tack fouls" were not fouls three years ago. Now they are. That makes the game worse (regardless of what you think)

Also, next time how bout just rebutting in the forum (which is...u know..kinda what its for and why people post here), and not be a douche and detract reputation points for an opinion you happen not to agree with.
    There is a lot of truth to what you are saying. It is weird though some crews will let the players play and as long as it is called both ways, it is definitely more fun to watch. Then there are the other ref crews that are by the book and called every little hand check......

Champ Bigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond reputeBigdog13 has a reputation beyond repute Bigdog13's Avatar

The shot clock was too long. If it takes your offense that long for you to get a decent shot off you're doing it wrong.

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteveyTI View Post

Sorry, I've been away all weekend at a referee's camp in Dallas and just now catching up. We have a fundamental disagreement that college basketball is supposed to be physical. It's not. You can play physical defense without fouling, but not many players are good at doing that these days. There is way too much grabbing and holding. When I was growing up, I was taught that you play defense with your feet, not your hands. That's still true today.

They didn't change the rules to create more free throws. That's just dumb. Technically, they didn't change the rules. The hand checks have always been fouls. They just placed an emphasis on actually enforcing the rules that have long been on the books. The theory is you protect the ball-handler, protect the shooter and cut out all the grabbing and chucking of cutters in the lane and you free up offenses to flow more and that will lead to more scoring. It has nothing to do with free throws. The thought process was that coaches and players would quickly adjust the way they defended, but unfortunately that hasn't happened. The problem isn't with the officials (though we can always discuss consistency and the need to be better there). The problem is with the style of play that coaches are teaching. They're the ones who pushed for these changes, but they've been slow to actually adjust to them.

I agree calling all of the fouls can slow the game down late in each half because there are more free throws. But that doesn't mean they aren't fouls and doesn't mean players/coaches shouldn't adjust. If Alex Hamilton is driving into the lane, and his defender places two hands on his or puts his hand on his hip to direct him where he wants Alex to go, I want the referee to call that every time. The defender is gaining an advantage by being able to take away what Alex does best. You may call it ticky-tack, but I call it illegal defense. I love good defense, as long as it's done legally and within the rules of the game. It's hard enough to score without giving the defense extra advantages.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

What about all the traveling and carrying that goes on? Will they ever enforce those rules again?

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    What about all the traveling and carrying that goes on? Will they ever enforce those rules again?
    I'll admit that traveling is one of the toughest rules to enforce for me personally (even harder than the block/charge). The feet move so quickly that it's tough to catch sometimes. I try to call the obvious walk and stay away from something that's marginal because I don't want to punish an athletic play if I'm not positive it was a travel. That's the same approach I take regarding carrying. I reffed eight AAU games over the weekend, and I called one carry. It was an obvious one where the ball-handler gained an advantage. I think I missed one obvious one too. The others were all marginal. The ball-handler's gonna have to cup it and turn it over for it to be carrying these days.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll admit that traveling is one of the toughest rules to enforce for me personally (even harder than the block/charge). The feet move so quickly that it's tough to catch sometimes. I try to call the obvious walk and stay away from something that's marginal because I don't want to punish an athletic play if I'm not positive it was a travel. That's the same approach I take regarding carrying. I reffed eight AAU games over the weekend, and I called one carry. It was an obvious one where the ball-handler gained an advantage. I think I missed one obvious one too. The others were all marginal. The ball-handler's gonna have to cup it and turn it over for it to be carrying these days.
    I am not so concerned with feet shuffling or a hand resting on the side of the ball. What bothers me is 3 to 4 obvious, huge strides to the basket from behind the arc. Also, when a player can hold the ball in his palm and complete a crossover dribble that is called an "ankle breaker" I want to yell at the tv. No, like you said, the offensive player gained an advantage by holding the ball for a half second and redirecting after the defender had effectively stopped the play.

I am not so concerned with feet shuffling or a hand resting on the side of the ball. What bothers me is 3 to 4 obvious, huge strides to the basket from behind the arc. Also, when a player can hold the ball in his palm and complete a crossover dribble that is called an "ankle breaker" I want to yell at the tv. No, like you said, the offensive player gained an advantage by holding the ball for a half second and redirecting after the defender had effectively stopped the play.
    Are you complaining about college basketball or the NBA? I see more of what you're talking about at the NBA level, and they have a whole different officiating mantra.

I agree there. It is much worse in the NBA. Would love to see that cleaned up at both levels. It was especially horrible to see all these "great moves" by James Harden and it was actually a travel every time.

I agree there. It is much worse in the NBA. Would love to see that cleaned up at both levels. It was especially horrible to see all these "great moves" by James Harden and it was actually a travel every time.
    I've actually broken Harden down in slow-mo on film, and he's the best in the business today when it comes to blurring the lines on what's a travel and what's not a travel. It all starts when he picks up his dribble. That's when he officially establishes his pivot foot. Many times after he takes his final dribble, the ball sort of just stays in the air in front of him as he takes a step or two before he actually gathers. This is why it seems like he takes four steps when he's only taking two, and why his stepback jumper is so tough to defend. Almost every time he's already started to step back before he ever picks up his dribble. His offensive game is pretty remarkable, and it's been fun to watch him and Curry go at it.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Rule Changes Official: http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/6/1...e-changes-2015
    No more 5-second closely guarded - which is how UAB beat WKU

Also, if a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout, that will be the media timeout!!! Now no more back-to-back timeouts!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    Rule Changes Official: http://www.testudotimes.com/2015/6/1...e-changes-2015
    No more 5-second closely guarded - which is how UAB beat WKU

Also, if a timeout is called within 30 seconds of a media timeout, that will be the media timeout!!! Now no more back-to-back timeouts!!!
    That is great. Should help the flow of play and it will make each timeout more valuable. Of course coaches will just coach around it since they pretty well know when media timeouts will occur.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Allowing dunking the ball in pregame warmups should make things more entertaining for some of us who actually attend the games, also.

+ Reply to Thread