+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: HC Eric Konkol - Press Conference

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: HC Eric Konkol - Press Conference

Good points hodo. We certainly don't expect to win every game and when we face those strong inside teams they'll hurt us. But I'm much more confident we'll be able to at least compete in those games.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

This team is fun to watch.

Champ Dawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant futureDawg Fan has a brilliant future Dawg Fan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HoDo-Tech70 View Post
    Things look bright right now. However, we have not played any teams with solid inside games. The inability to overcome those kind of teams was my biggest gripe against Mike White and staff. The recruits signed by Coach Konkol and staff in the early signing period appear to be an attempt to address this problem in future seasons.

I'm hopeful that Coach Konkol can design a game plan so our current roster will compete better with teams having a good inside game. He seems to have good basketball knowledge and more willingness to change schemes mid-game, so I expect we will do much better against big teams than the last several years. Having Merrill Holden back will give him more options.
    Many times I think of the TV announcers as just being "talking heads", but some of their comments this year have gotten me to thinking about what Konkol may be trying to do to overcome some of the "bruisers" around the basket. Konkol clearly understands physics and geometry. If you can't beat them with sheer strength and size, use reverse layups and put your players in position to rebound when 3-pointers are missed by understanding the rebounds are going to be further out than shots taken close to the rim. And when the 3-pointers are falling, then that's a good thing. When a player like Hamilton sees an opening to the basket, weave as you drive - you might make the shot, get fouled, or come up with a plus 1. Look for opportunities instead of simply trying to impose your will on the other team. Finesse is a word that comes to mind.

Varsity Bulldog collinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the roughcollinellis is a jewel in the rough

Are there many players in all college basketball that are 6 10+ that have post moves and can dominate from that position? We may have deficiencies at those positions but I bet most other teams across the country could say that. In the past we pressed and hung our hat on it. Now we are becoming better at half court and team defense. Really I am just trying to be optimistic about our underwhelming interior defensive and offensive presence. Perhaps Holden can improve this once he returns and J White will establish himself as a great shot blocker.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Joniah needs help. Shep has potential. Holden will be hungry when he returns. I think we have the bodies to get through a game against a true big. If we had to defend a 7ft, 280 pounder night in and out, we probably would struggle. We won't face that. Excited to watch us when we have everyone healthy and in sync.

Big Dog 4 Life HoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond reputeHoDo-Tech70 has a reputation beyond repute HoDo-Tech70's Avatar

We will face very few teams with a dominant big man. Unfortunately UAB is one of those teams and they are the biggest obstacle standing in our way for a conference and tournament championship.

Our scheme and personnel this year should give us a better shot at beating UAB for the NCAA autobid. It will be tough with the tournament in B'ham but we have a shot.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

I think this year's team is better than any team that Mike White had and it will show. Hamilton is taking up to being a true point guard, and he can also score when he wants. Boykins is a knock down shooter that we have lacked, and he's very good on the defensive end with his length. Davis is the junkyard dog that provides energy, and is all over the offensive glass. I love his game. McCree is our go to scorer, he can play inside and out. Joniah is getting better every night. He changes shots inside and has shown the ability to catch and score this year which he could not do last year, he also is a very good passer. The bench is solid, Jean will be a star, Dayon can shoot and defend, Luckett is the volume scorer, Robinson has shown the ability to shoot it well. These 9 plus Holden will be our core when it comes to conference. This team will be scary good.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

How cool would it be for Alex to be a regular season conference champion all 4 years! Hopefully we can get over the tournament hump

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

Washington has shown flashes as well. Everyone can play!

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

One thing is clear: Konkol is the worst free throw shooting coach in the country. I feel like we should have centered our hire around this coaching ability.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    One thing is clear: Konkol is the worst free throw shooting coach in the country. I feel like we should have centered our hire around this coaching ability.
    Free throws don't require coaching, just practice. It's muscle memory. Maybe our guys should take some more initiative to work on it themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    Free throws don't require coaching, just practice. It's muscle memory. Maybe our guys should take some more initiative to work on it themselves.
    I was being sarcastic, some on this board act like the sky is falling because we got beat by a better team on this night. Saying Konkol cant coach is ridiculous. I already like him more than Mike White.

Champ Dowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond reputeDowty has a reputation beyond repute Dowty's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    I was being sarcastic, some on this board act like the sky is falling because we got beat by a better team on this night. Saying Konkol cant coach is ridiculous. I already like him more than Mike White.
    Oh, I gotcha. Easy to take it literally with the way things are around here. The players should be practicing their free throws though.

I agree that all of the overreaction last night is ridiculous. I remember many doing the same thing on here last season when WBB lost to someone (can't remember who it was). They all said Tyler was in over his head, etc. My response is the same as it was then: If we're going to grab our pitchforks, fire the staff, burn down the TAC, and never play again because we lost to a better team when we have a new coaching staff and a bunch of new players that have only been playing meaningful games for a couple of weeks, then what we need are better fans, not better players.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Dowty View Post
    Oh, I gotcha. Easy to take it literally with the way things are around here. The players should be practicing their free throws though.

I agree that all of the overreaction last night is ridiculous. I remember many doing the same thing on here last season when WBB lost to someone (can't remember who it was). They all said Tyler was in over his head, etc. My response is the same as it was then: If we're going to grab our pitchforks, fire the staff, burn down the TAC, and never play again because we lost to a better team when we have a new coaching staff and a bunch of new players that have only been playing meaningful games for a couple of weeks, then what we need are better fans, not better players.
    As I said before -- its not the loss. It's the manner in which we lost. You can lose to a good team, that happens pretty regularly as it turns out. Memphis played great! But we played horribly, and that's what everyone's upset about. We needed to have played better, regardless of opponent.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

If you follow basketball, especially with a young team with a new staff, you are going to have a few nights along the way where NOTHING goes right -

Last night was one of those nights
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread