+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 2015-16 Basketball Schedule & TV Channel Finder

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Re: 2015-16 Basketball Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    I agree with Professor about not skipping games because of opponent. I have said it once and I'll say it again, I come to watch the Dawgs not the opponent. A great opponent is just a bonus. While I dont like the idea of playing on the road at NSU and other teams of that manner it has to be done because of the budget like the Prof said. Looking at last year we didnt miss the dance because we played NSU, and other crappy opponents. We missed the dance because we lost to ULL, North Texas, NC State when we led by 18. Win the games and everything else will take care of itself.
    We actually did miss out on an at-large bid the last couple years because of all of our crappy opponents. It wasn't those few losses. It was our non-conference SOS that was among the worst in the nation and our lack of quality wins because we had so few opportunities on our schedule. Our schedule gave us no chance because it gave us no room for error with very limited opportunities for Top 50 and Top 100 wins. It put pressure on our guys to be perfect, which was never going to happen. Our schedule has been setting our ceiling at the NIT. The honest truth is that our program isn't going to rise if we continue scheduling like we have been.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Like I said, if you want to play NWST and ULM so bad, that's fine. Play an extra money game on the road vs. a relevant team on TV, and use that money to buy those home games. Don't schedule a H&H with them. Winning at least two road guarantees may be the only way we can earn an at-large anyway so we might as well give ourselves another opportunity. It's a win-win.

Another thing... Let's not act like our guys would be missing all kinds of class time by traveling midweek. A lot of our OOC slate is played when our guys are on break. Fall quarter break followed by Christmas break. And during the time in between those breaks, there is very little schoolwork because the new quarter is just getting started.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Because Tech shouldn't stoop to playing at NWST's gym.

If you want to play NWST, why don't you want to restart the series with ULM? It's pretty much the same thing except that ULM is actually a step up in conference.

The bottomline is that we are a former WAC and now C-USA member (and a Tier 1 National Research University), and we should be acting like it. Our basketball program isn't going to take the next step by playing games at NWST, at Grambling, and at other SWAC schools. We should never play another game at ULM, at NWST, at Grambling, at any SWAC school, or at any Southland school not named UNO or SFA.

Not only should playing H&H with Southland and SWAC schools be beneath us, ours fans aren't going to drive, show up, and buy tickets to watch us play those schools nor would our students show up to watch it. Tech students these days don't even have friends that attend those schools. I'm a diehard fan, and I guarantee you that I won't be driving over from Shreveport and paying money to sit through these pitiful OOC games.

It's sad that so many of our fans have bought into White's BS that nobody will play us. He put together super weak schedules to rack up wins to get out of Ruston. Scheduling isn't rocket science. Just lock up some of these games in advance so we aren't left holding the bag every year.

We play 18 C-USA games and 4 tourney games every year. That's 22 games right there. Just don't find the worst tournament possible to schedule. That leaves 9 games left to schedule.

Go find 2 money games. Bam. Down to 7 remaining.

Schedule H&H with ULL, UT-Arlington, UALR, and Tulane. There's no reason we shouldn't be able to get a deal with Tulane now. Our scheduler spent his entire career with Conroy, and our top assistant is Ed Conroy's brother. If it's too late for Tulane, then UNO is an acceptable substitute. The other 3 we should have no problems getting done every year. That leaves only 3 games remaining.

Go buy 1 home game. If we can't afford a DI team, then offer Centenary or LC. Bam! Down to only 2 games remaining.

I think there's a coach at Murray State that will schedule us. How about SFA? Underwood's complaining he can't get games. Houston, SMU, Tulsa, and New Mexico State have all played on our court recently. How about Utah State? They have trouble getting home games. Nevada's new coach really likes recruiting Louisiana. Everybody in C-USA schedules Georgia State except for us. Teams like Rhode Island and Drexel play at Southern Miss. Northern Iowa played at SFA last year. Heck, Green Bay and Georgia State played each other twice last year. How about Belmont? Missouri State? Southern Illinois? Iona? There are plenty of teams out there in our similar situation. You may say that we can't bus to a few of those schools, but I'll say it's just 1 road flight H&H game per season. Put White's $500K buyout to good use.

If we truly can't get a couple of those H&H games, then schedule another money game, and use that money to buy a home game. Let's go play at a Wisconsin on TV, and then buy NWST for that weekend that they left open for us. Problem solved. Don't schedule a return game to Natchitoches for next season.

In 2015, there is absolutely no good reason for Louisiana Tech to be playing basketball games in Grambling, Monroe, or Natchitoches. Those schools are not on our level (neither academically nor athletically), and by stooping to play in their venues, it puts us on their level with the local media pushing their "rivalry" agenda as if we are equals, which is exactly what we want to avoid. If they want to play a guarantee in Ruston, then go for it. If not, too bad. We should leave those Gulf States H&H series in the past where they belong. It's truly sad that some of our own want to take 5 steps back (literally... C-USA->WAC->Sun Belt->American South->Southland->Gulf States) to relive those Gulf States days. Our few fans who actually want to stoop to play H&H with the Southland/SWAC/ULM are probably the same fans who insult us by referring to us as a "mid-major." Louisiana Tech is not a "mid-major," and Sun Belt H&H should be the lowest that we should stoop.

/rant
    Wow. I agree. I've been saying this for 10 years. There's no excuse for the consistent poor scheduling that we see in mens basketball. And last year, when I said Mike White was full of shit for saying we can't schedule road games with SEC teams, some of his admirers on this board actually got pissed and defended him. It was total BS.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TrueBulldog1962 View Post
    I agree with Professor about not skipping games because of opponent. I have said it once and I'll say it again, I come to watch the Dawgs not the opponent. A great opponent is just a bonus.
    I've always thought that was a dumb approach. Why would I want to drive 8 hours round trip to watch LA Tech play a truly bottom ranked opponent every week?

Of course, taking advice from "Professor" is not advisable anyway. You should know that by now.

If you're going to skip a game, isn't it more likely to be a game against a poor opponent? Of course. (I'll just answer that for you. Otherwise, you might get more advice from professor and say something else silly.)
    Last edited by HogDawg; 07-17-2015 at 11:13 PM.

No, I'm not. You are ignoring everything I said previously. My argument was that the SWACs and Southlands on our schedule should be replaced with H&Hs with Tulane (or UNO*), UT Arlington, UALR, ULL, and then a couple more like Murray State, etc. I'm not advocating that we play ULM, NWST, Gram, SWAC, or Southland in home guarantee games. I simply wouldn't object to it like I am the notion of slumming on the road in their gyms. But if we are going to play them, it should be only in the TAC. I certainly wouldn't invite friends and family to drive to Ruston and to buy tickets to watch us play guarantee games against any of those lesser teams.

What I suggested has little to no effect on the budget. You didn't listen. I said that if we couldn't get a couple more respectable H&H to complete the schedule, play an extra road guarantee at a school like Wisconsin for $90K, and use that money to buy another home game from one of the lesser conferences. Our budget would come out well in the black with that tradeoff, and the risk-reward would be so much greater than a H&H with a SLC/SWAC opponent. We'd be able to actually buy two games with that cash. What are we using the $500K buyout from Florida to pay for? Regardless, that's all irrelevant because I'm not suggesting we should be playing some national OOC schedule flying all over the country to play teams like Gonzaga. All I suggested was maybe 1 flight if that's what's necessary to get a good H&H. We don't need a $30 million budget as you put it. I'm talking driving to Arlington, driving to Little Rock, driving to New Orleans, etc. That's not "spending astronomically on traveling to games" as you put it.

The Southland is one of the worst basketball conferences in America, just a step up from the SWAC. SFA is the only basketball program in that conference right now with any resemblance of relevance. Nobody cares about NWST, West, or Woodley. I am a LOUISIANA TECH fan, not a NWST fan. I have absolutely no interest in watching them play.

And no, I'm in the majority. Our fans do not want to watch TECH play these crappy schools in OOC play. We've seen it time and time again. Our fans do NOT show up for those games. Not even many of our season ticket holders. The students don't even show up for free pizza. There are empty seats everywhere in the TAC for these pitiful opponents, and there is no atmosphere at those games. It's simply not worth our time or entertainment dollar.
    I agree 100%.

We actually did miss out on an at-large bid the last couple years because of all of our crappy opponents. It wasn't those few losses. It was our non-conference SOS that was among the worst in the nation and our lack of quality wins because we had so few opportunities on our schedule. Our schedule gave us no chance because it gave us no room for error with very limited opportunities for Top 50 and Top 100 wins. It put pressure on our guys to be perfect, which was never going to happen. Our schedule has been setting our ceiling at the NIT. The honest truth is that our program isn't going to rise if we continue scheduling like we have been.
    THIS^^ THIS^^^ THIS^^^!!! For God's sake, I hope everyone reads the post above. It's 100% true. Our mens BB OOC schedule was the worst in the country last year, and left our team with NO ROOM for error. Our poor RPI ranking never gave us a chance without winning the CUSA Tournament.

If the people on this board don't know --and agree with-- this by now, you're wasting your time talking to ignorant people.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...late/30765725/

LA. TECH’S CONFERENCE USA SCHEDULE
    Jan. 3 — Southern Miss
    Jan. 7 — Old Dominion
    Jan. 9 — Charlotte
    Jan. 14 — at FIU
    Jan. 16 — at FAU
    Jan. 23 — Southern Miss
    Jan 28 — UTSA
    Jan. 30 — UTEP
    Feb. 4 — at Rice
    Feb. 6 — at North Texas
    Feb. 11 — MTSU
    Feb. 13 — UAB
    Feb. 18 — at UTSA
    Feb. 20 — at UTEP
    Feb. 25 — North Texas
    Feb. 27 — Rice
    March 3 — at Marshall
    March 5 — at WKU

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sportdawg View Post
    http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story...late/30765725/

LA. TECH’S CONFERENCE USA SCHEDULE
    Jan. 3 — Southern Miss
    Jan. 7 — Old Dominion
    Jan. 9 — Charlotte
    Jan. 14 — at FIU
    Jan. 16 — at FAU
    Jan. 23 — Southern Miss
    Jan 28 — UTSA
    Jan. 30 — UTEP
    Feb. 4 — at Rice
    Feb. 6 — at North Texas
    Feb. 11 — MTSU
    Feb. 13 — UAB
    Feb. 18 — at UTSA
    Feb. 20 — at UTEP
    Feb. 25 — North Texas
    Feb. 27 — Rice
    March 3 — at Marshall
    March 5 — at WKU
    Front loaded and favorable. Only play ODU and UAB once, each in Ruston.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

How come it shows we have two home games with Southern Miss ??

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Since they are our travel partner, they may not have decided which game is home yet. I seem to remember something similar in the past.

Varsity Bulldog jellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the roughjellidawg is a jewel in the rough jellidawg's Avatar

According Isabella, the second game is at Southern Miss. He said that we open with three straight home conference games.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

Misprint in Times. Tech & So Miss have not released their schedules so I'm not sure which is home

Champ rebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond reputerebelboi has a reputation beyond repute rebelboi's Avatar

11/27--vs. North Carolina Central
    12/4---vs. Jackson St.

http://www.thenewsstar.com/story/spo...dule/31862715/

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

NC Central will be good.

Jackson St is not.

Are these home?

+ Reply to Thread