+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Bye Bye Stapleton

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Re: Bye Bye Stapleton

Quote Originally Posted by SIC_EM_DAWGS! View Post
    I enjoyed watching X play, great shooter and athlete. The restrictions go along with heresay that I've heard for the last few weeks. Mike White wasn't the only one playing dirty per the rumor wheel.

A school gives a 4 to 5 year commitment to a player, he agrees then decides to quit on his teammates?! Once on campus and a part of the program coaches change, bonds with teammates last a lifetime. I think Tech is more talented with X on the floor, but the team looks to be better off without him if he is going to quit on his teammates.
    I agree

Champ longdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the roughlongdawgview is a jewel in the rough

Mike White was trying to get Stapleton too? or was it Ole Miss since White was an asst. coach for kennedy?

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Still leaves plenty of places for him to go. It's one thing to lose your recruits; another thing getting your roster raided.
    Sorry, but that's BS, just like Stapleton's excuse for leaving.

Those ridiculous restrictions leave Bama as basically his only option (if Bama would even give him a scholarship) if it's a priority for him to play within a 5-hour drive of his home so his family can go watch him play. Expand it to a 6-hour radius, and Auburn is the only additional realistic school.

And our roster is not getting raided. One SA requested a transfer. One juco signee was released from his NLI. That's it. Not bad considering the coaching change. Jean decided to stay with Tech, and Ruttley never signed a binding agreement with Tech.

2011 NFL Survivor Champion nadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond reputenadB has a reputation beyond repute nadB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Sorry, but that's BS, just like Stapleton's excuse for leaving.

Those ridiculous restrictions leave Bama as basically the only option (if Bama would even give him a scholarship) if it's a priority for him to play within a 5-hour drive of his home so his family can go watch him play. Expand it to a 6-hour radius, and Auburn is the only additional realistic school.

And our roster is not getting raided. One SA requested a transfer. One juco signee was released from his NLI. That's it. Jean decided to stick with Tech, and Ruttley never signed a binding agreement with Tech.
    Fine if you want us to be the "minor leagues" of college basketball. He can go to lots of junior colleges much closer to his home than Ruston. Dude can take the "path less traveled", but that doesn't make it a good decision for him just because he took it. Actions have consequences.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nadB View Post
    Fine if you want us to be the "minor leagues" of college basketball. He can go to lots of junior colleges much closer to his home than Ruston. Dude can take the "path less traveled", but that doesn't make it a good decision for him just because he took it. Actions have consequences.
    How does taking a moral stand suggest I want us to be the "minor leagues?" This is a right and wrong ethical issue. Not much pisses me off more than our own AD, our own coaches, our own fans, and our media when they refer to us as a "mid-major." I refrained from going off on our AD after his post-"White to UF" press conference and our fans throughout the process. I don't understand how losing a stupid coach can cause so many of "us" to lose self-esteem. We are a Tier 1 national research university competing at the highest level of major college athletics in Conference USA. Losing a few coaches, a transfer, and a juco signee can't change that. There is nothing "mid" or "minor" about us. Just ask Texas A&M, Georgia, Oklahoma, Florida State, Illinois, Virginia, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, etc.

Yeah, he can go to lots of jucos, and I honestly think that's the best route for him if he wants to leave Tech. However, McClelland should not be forcing Stapleton down the juco path. It should be Stapleton's choice, not McClelland's.

My argument has nothing to do with where Stapleton wants to play basketball or whether transferring is a good decision or not. What I'm saying is Stapleton and his family should be granted the autonomy to choose where he furthers his basketball career.

And yes, actions have consequences. If Stapleton chooses to transfer to another DI school, he'd have to sit out next season regardless of the school he picks, and he'd likely have one less year to play professional basketball for a living. To our knowledge, Stapleton did nothing wrong to deserve him being banned from transferring to 55 different schools. That's cruel and unusual punishment.

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

The way I see it is, Stapleton is a special player. His potential is sky high. Wherever he goes, he will start. He will make that team better, and we will be worse. That hurts us, and more so if that school is one against which we recruit.

I would have been fine with no CUSA, no LA, and no SEC, but I'm fine with this also. I believe X is that good with that much potential. The one other that may leave, I don't care if he has any restrictions at all because it won't hurt much in my opinion.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RhythmDawg View Post

I would have been fine with no CUSA, no LA, and no SEC, but I'm fine with this also.
    I thought Los Angeles was a little too much.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Looks to me like TM has issued a "Monroe Doctrine". Good move!

Champ RhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond reputeRhythmDawg has a reputation beyond repute RhythmDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I thought Los Angeles was a little too much.
    I collect postage stamps?
    You can add La to the list also.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

He might enjoy Idaho.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Champ theprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond reputetheprofessor has a reputation beyond repute theprofessor's Avatar

It's crazy to me that Louisiana Tech fans, in 2015, can be so blinded by the rage of a departing player to even think this is remotely right. It's not right; it's ridiculous. I don't want X to leave. I thought he had the potential to be a great, great player at Louisiana Tech. I'm pissed off that he's leaving. But to restrict his transfer to 55 schools is ridiculous. No college should be in the business of telling a transferring athlete where he can and can't go. Did Mike White tamper? Fine, report him to the NCAA and restrict Florida. Were Ole Miss and Mississippi State boosters recruiting him? Report them and restrict those specific schools. Call them out specifically, instead of hiding behind some blanket restriction because you want to hold this kid's future in your hands. I'm against restrictions of any form on almost all circumstances. If there's tampering, then restrictions are fine. But have the fortitude to call those schools out specifically instead of just limiting any and every option. Hell, X can't even go home and play at Jackson State of all places. That's just wrong. It's wrong of Tommy McClelland, and it's wrong of our fans for supporting it.
    the bold, the beautiful, theprofessor

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by theprofessor View Post
    It's crazy to me that Louisiana Tech fans, in 2015, can be so blinded by the rage of a departing player to even think this is remotely right. It's not right; it's ridiculous. I don't want X to leave. I thought he had the potential to be a great, great player at Louisiana Tech. I'm pissed off that he's leaving. But to restrict his transfer to 55 schools is ridiculous. No college should be in the business of telling a transferring athlete where he can and can't go. Did Mike White tamper? Fine, report him to the NCAA and restrict Florida. Were Ole Miss and Mississippi State boosters recruiting him? Report them and restrict those specific schools. Call them out specifically, instead of hiding behind some blanket restriction because you want to hold this kid's future in your hands. I'm against restrictions of any form on almost all circumstances. If there's tampering, then restrictions are fine. But have the fortitude to call those schools out specifically instead of just limiting any and every option. Hell, X can't even go home and play at Jackson State of all places. That's just wrong. It's wrong of Tommy McClelland, and it's wrong of our fans for supporting it.

You've been putting the "rights" of non-Tech peeps above Tech's best interest for years.

He doesn't want to be part of the family. Tally Ho!

Champ Cal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond reputeCal&Ken has a reputation beyond repute Cal&Ken's Avatar

I am not blinded by rage, and I am fairly certain I will sleep just fine tonight. I probably would not have done the 4 states, but certainly CUSA and SEC. McClelland probably overreacted to what he failed to do correctly the first time. If kids don't want to be here, then they should go- but the reasoning was insane. He should have just said that he had Coach White calling him and he wanted to continue playing for him. Either way, McClelland certainly was correct in making restrictions.

Big Dog SIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of lightSIC_EM_DAWGS! is a glorious beacon of light

It's as simple as a non-compete clause in a contract, scholarships have them. I have one on my contract. If I leave my current job they can restrict my employment for a set amount of time, just like a school can in this situation. He is restricted from schools that tampered as well as schools that our coaches go out and recruit against, I have zero problem with that. Louisiana Tech did not make X leave, he took it upon himself to leave after committing then recommitting to his coaches and teammates.

Big Dog TrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant futureTrueBulldog1962 has a brilliant future

While I believe that 55 schools sounds extremely harsh, I do agree with the restrictions that Tommy gave to X. This is a flat out bogus reason to transfer. He says that Tech has no stability because we lose Coach White, and we lose an assistant that was at Tech for a whole 8 days. That is fine and dandy, but it sounds mighty hypocritical for him to say Tech has no stability and he bolts as well. He seems to be an ego centered player who is worried about himself which is fine, but not the type of player that Tech needs. We need more Smith, Appleby, and Kyser type guys who love their university, not more guys who want out just because a coach.

06 your point is ridiculous. Sitting out a year is not a big deal at all just because of transferring. He loses no eligibilty. The level of basketball that Tech is at rivals Ole Miss, Miss State, and other schools of that nature and that is why I agree with restricting him from all those schools.

+ Reply to Thread