+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Marriage

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Marriage

No one "owns" the term, but if anyone does it's the Catholic Church and those, of all Christian denominations, and other religions who share the point of view. You can Google it if you want, but basically what we now think of when we think of "marriage" (at least in the Western World) was established back in the 13th Century by the Catholic Church. Yes, there was a form of marriage prior to that, and in the 9th Century the Catholic Church, the Pope, issued edicts on how the institution should be conducted. But it was in the 13th Century that the Church established a formal set of rules that we still employ today.....well, up to yesterday.

When people say they support "traditional marriage" they are referring to these rules established in the 13th Century. And yes, it has been tweaked over the centuries, but is basically the same as 800 years ago. BTW, the Church, through the Pope, began issuing edicts in the early centuries on marriage, and originally, about in the 5th Century or so, the Church railed at the exploitation of women, really, young girls, and began formulating the rules that established the one man/one woman policy and what we now know as the Dowry. This was designed to provide some wealth for the young woman. Her family had to provide it. And also, the Church understood the importance of the stability of the "nuclear family" for practical reasons, for economic reasons. Prior to the Church intervening, young girls were loaned or rented to men by her family. The Pope saw this as blatant exploitation and began establishing policies.

Now, in 2015 we have this. For me, I have always thought anyone(s) should be able to enter into a contract for a civil union. My wife and I had to get a license at the Clerk's office and "marriage" has its legal ramifications. It is a contract. So, from the secular point of view, anyone (age of majority (18)) should be allowed to enter into a contract. Now, the issue is what will Churches do, and what will happen if/when a Church refuses to perform gay marriages?

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Marriage

This is the satanic evil that the anti-God, liberal Dems and the Obama court appointees have brought to our country. And this from Time even. Did those on here supporting this lifestyle/agenda mean for the actions to happen as outlined in this article?
    A sad week indeed.

Orthodox Christians Must Now Learn To Live as Exiles in Our Own Country

June 26, 2015

http://time.com/3938050/orthodox-chr...r-own-country/

Champ Woof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to beholdWoof! is a splendid one to behold

If you don't like gay marriage, DO NOT MARRY A GAY PERSON.

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    You can Google it if you want, but basically what we now think of when we think of "marriage" (at least in the Western World) was established back in the 13th Century by the Catholic Church.
    I Bing'ed it and found that the true definition goes back just a little more than 800 years.

As an individual-freedom conservative, I really don't care what other people do and how they associate. They are free to do as they wish as long it doesn't affect me and mine.

But, marriage is a sacred, holy union, blessed to us from God. The Bible defines it in the only way it can be defined, because it was created and given to us by Him.

Never, once, does the Bible use an example of marriage to be anything other than one man and one woman.

Genesis 2:22-24
    22 Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. 23 The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman, ' for she was taken out of man." 24 For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and they will become one flesh.

Proverbs 18:22
    22 He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the LORD.

Proverbs 19:14
    14 Houses and wealth are inherited from parents, but a prudent wife is from the LORD.

Ephesians 5:22-33
    22 Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord. 23 For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. 24 Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. 25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26 to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27 and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28 In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29 After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church-- 30 for we are members of his body. 31 "For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh." 32 This is a profound mystery--but I am talking about Christ and the church. 33 However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Matthew 19:4-6
    4 "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female,' 5 and said, 'For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh' ? 6 So they are no longer two, but one. Therefore what God has joined together, let man not separate."

1 Corinthians 7:1-16
    1 Now for the matters you wrote about: It is good for a man not to marry. 2 But since there is so much immorality, each man should have his own wife, and each woman her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife's body does not belong to her alone but also to her husband. In the same way, the husband's body does not belong to him alone but also to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all men were as I am. But each man has his own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that. 8 Now to the unmarried and the widows I say: It is good for them to stay unmarried, as I am. 9 But if they cannot control themselves, they should marry, for it is better to marry than to burn with passion. 10 To the married I give this command (not I, but the Lord): A wife must not separate from her husband. 11 But if she does, she must remain unmarried or else be reconciled to her husband. And a husband must not divorce his wife. 12 To the rest I say this (I, not the Lord): If any brother has a wife who is not a believer and she is willing to live with him, he must not divorce her. 13 And if a woman has a husband who is not a believer and he is willing to live with her, she must not divorce him. 14 For the unbelieving husband has been sanctified through his wife, and the unbelieving wife has been sanctified through her believing husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy. 15 But if the unbeliever leaves, let him do so. A believing man or woman is not bound in such circumstances; God has called us to live in peace. 16 How do you know, wife, whether you will save your husband? Or, how do you know, husband, whether you will save your wife?

Hebrews 13:4-7
    4 Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

It's the law......

Interracial marriage went through the same protests from the Church.

Speaking of Churches, shouldn't all have religious freedom?
    http://time.com/3749253/churches-gay-marriage/

Champ TYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond reputeTYLERTECHSAS has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by champion110 View Post
    It's the law......
    Not the law of the only one that matters and that's the Lord God Almighty.

And the churches in that article have been plagued for years by liberalism and non Biblical teaching which is an apostasy. They can't change God's law.

Champ champion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond reputechampion110 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by TYLERTECHSAS View Post
    Not the law of the only one that matters and that's the Lord God Almighty.

And the churches in that article have been plagued for years by liberalism and non Biblical teaching which is an apostasy. They can't change God's law.
    I can't wait till they make a ruling on shellfish.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

No different. Orthodox Jews still keep kosher. Is the goverment going to force them to eat shellfish? I think Muslims also don't eat shellfish, so that probably rules it out.

As with most all of the Old Test. eating rules by GOD, these were for pure health reasons in that day (like pork, drinking blood, fish without scales). They are now purely legalistic rules today that the Jews still observe. That was the reason, not because it was an abomination/affront to God like same sex marriage.

As with most all of the Old Test. eating rules by GOD, these were for pure health reasons in that day (like pork, drinking blood, fish without scales). They are now purely legalistic rules today that the Jews still observe. That was the reason, not because it was an abomination/affront to God like same sex marriage.
    And if you look at the verses that are about a man laying with another man, they are all about rape and vanity. None are about love. There is no mention of love between the same sex in the Bible. One could easily argue that it was accepted as a way of life during that time. There certainly was no term for it.

Anyway, some people have different religious views than you and you are attempting to prohibit their religious freedom. No different from when the Churches in the South were against Interracial marriage.

The Constitution was set up with a Supreme Court. They have ruled and it is now a constitutional right. You don't have to agree. No one is forcing you to agree. It is the law, though.

The South can be pretty stubborn about giving rights to those that they disagree with and many are determined to make the same mistakes over and over again. As for me, I have very happy that the constitution attempts to protect people from discrimination.

In short, you cannot interfere with my religious rights.

And if you look at the verses that are about a man laying with another man, they are all about rape and vanity. None are about love. There is no mention of love between the same sex in the Bible. One could easily argue that it was accepted as a way of life during that time. There certainly was no term for it.

Anyway, some people have different religious views than you and you are attempting to prohibit their religious freedom. No different from when the Churches in the South were against Interracial marriage.

The Constitution was set up with a Supreme Court. They have ruled and it is now a constitutional right. You don't have to agree. No one is forcing you to agree. It is the law, though.

The South can be pretty stubborn about giving rights to those that they disagree with and many are determined to make the same mistakes over and over again. As for me, I have very happy that the constitution attempts to protect people from discrimination.

In short, you cannot interfere with my religious rights.
    Nobody has replied as I would imagine all are still in shock with your above. There is so much wrong with it.
    The anti-God actions taken by the SC this week have nothing to do with the South, love of a physical action, interracial marriage or what was accepted sexual practice "back in the day".
    The only thing I can say is that there were religions, similar to what you describe above, during the days of and the fall of Rome and destruction of other countries and customs. GOD deemed their end and it happened. And most of these exhibited the "social norms" and false religions slanted
    against God's will that you have describe. These were Pagan in nature. I have seen many mixed religions, during my mission travels around the world, that even try to combine Jesus and some of his teachings with another Pagan deity, dead individuals, idols or bizarre practices of burning or cutting etc..
    I've even seen one Pagan religion that worships Judas (because he "defeated Christ") with whisky gifts, animal parts and fake human body parts. The presents and aura in these various places is satanic and evil to the core.
    I'm not comparing, in total at all, to what you describe above of course. But the hints are definitely there IMHO. The distortion is no different but only a different physical action. The same goes for the killing of babies (very Pagan if you research). This is why Holy Spirit filled Christians are so aghast to their core and prayerfully sad when they see and hear what is now going on in America and around the world. The God and Christ through the Holy Spirit gives discernment and warning. And I would respond if there wasn't love in my heart for those that I see are caught up in these actions and "social norms" of the day. After all, one is either right or deadly and forever wrong on these issues.

We will just have to agree to disagree.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

To Liberals, the Father is a woman who is okay with homosexuality. The founders were racists. The South sucks. Guns shoot people. The Confederate Flag burns churches. Marriage is a right. The Constitution is wrong. And they are growing in number! This country is doomed. smh

Nobody has replied as I would imagine all are still in shock with your above. There is so much wrong with it.
    The anti-God actions taken by the SC this week have nothing to do with the South, love of a physical action, interracial marriage or what was accepted sexual practice "back in the day".
    The only thing I can say is that there were religions, similar to what you describe above, during the days of and the fall of Rome and destruction of other countries and customs. GOD deemed their end and it happened. And most of these exhibited the "social norms" and false religions slanted
    against God's will that you have describe. These were Pagan in nature. I have seen many mixed religions, during my mission travels around the world, that even try to combine Jesus and some of his teachings with another Pagan deity, dead individuals, idols or bizarre practices of burning or cutting etc..
    I've even seen one Pagan religion that worships Judas (because he "defeated Christ") with whisky gifts, animal parts and fake human body parts. The presents and aura in these various places is satanic and evil to the core.
    I'm not comparing, in total at all, to what you describe above of course. But the hints are definitely there IMHO. The distortion is no different but only a different physical action. The same goes for the killing of babies (very Pagan if you research). This is why Holy Spirit filled Christians are so aghast to their core and prayerfully sad when they see and hear what is now going on in America and around the world. The God and Christ through the Holy Spirit gives discernment and warning. And I would respond if there wasn't love in my heart for those that I see are caught up in these actions and "social norms" of the day. After all, one is either right or deadly and forever wrong on these issues.

We will just have to agree to disagree.
    Some will just keep repeating the same mistakes over and over again. Using religion as a basis for discrimination is NOT Christian. Some Churches get it and you cannot co-opt religious freedom for all citizens.

+ Reply to Thread