Nice article with pics.

Film crews turn New Orleans into 'Hollywood South'

By
Todd Leopold, CNN
Updated 3:00 PM ET, Wed August 26, 2015

Thursday at 9 p.m. ET/PT.
(CNN)With its historic architecture, lush greenery and dedication to open-air entertainment, New Orleans often seems like a real-life movie set.

To many, the city IS a real-life movie set.
In the years since Katrina struck in 2005, the film and video industry has been key to the area's recovery, says Peter Loop, a former member of the Louisiana Film Commission.
"As I look out the window (of my office), I can see cars with license plates all of different places: Arizona, California, Texas, Alabama," said Loop, whose brokerage and production firm, Loop Garou Entertainment, is based in the Lower Garden District. "People are moving here just to work in the industry."
According to a 2014 story on NOLA.com, the film business brought more than a billion dollars into the state in 2011. Two years later, it even outpaced New York and California as the No. 1 location for film production in America.
In the past decade, dozens of films and TV series have called the Crescent City and its environs home. And they're not just New Orleans-centric works such as "K-Ville," the short-lived cop series about the city post-Katrina, and "Treme," David ("The Wire") Simon's examination of the city's culture as it rebuilt after the storm.How about "Jurassic World"? The "21 Jump Street" movies? "Lee Daniels' The Butler"? "Looper"? "The Expendables"? All had some roots in New Orleans and southeast Louisiana. It's not for nothing the area has been called "Hollywood South."
Money and credit

Despite its distinctive look -- or perhaps because of it -- New Orleans hasn't always been a Hollywood hotbed for location shoots, unlike the inimitable New York or the very flexible Toronto.
The 1987 film "Angel Heart" took advantage of the city's landscape

MORE

http://www.cnn.com/2015/08/25/entert...iref=obnetwork