+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Visual History of Football (project)

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

LaTech Visual History of Football (project)

Ive been working on a (personal) data-driven project to show the whole history of Tech football in poster form. I want to avoid numbers as much as possible (e.g., display the difference in wins/losses over time rather than say 8-4). I've got some supplementary information on here like coaches, conferences, championships, all the good stuff.

Just wanted to run it by the BBB collective and see if y'all have any suggestions or if I have any glaring omissions. This particular version is for an 18x24 poster but I think I'm going to bump it up to 24x36.

One interesting thing I found was that in 28% of the games we've ever played, at least one team scored 0 points (games shown by points scored in top graph).

Champ BRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to beholdBRDawg81 is a splendid one to behold

Re: Visual History of Football (project)

It is an interesting graphic presentation. My comment would be to show a scale for the top graph. I am assuming that is points for and against for each game in the given season. 24X36 would be a good size for production.

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by BRDawg81 View Post
    It is an interesting graphic presentation. My comment would be to show a scale for the top graph. I am assuming that is points for and against for each game in the given season. 24X36 would be a good size for production.
    Thanks, I'm going to add labels for some of the higher spikes as well -- like the very visible 100-0 win against Clarke Memorial College in 1922

Champ WWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond reputeWWDog has a reputation beyond repute WWDog's Avatar

This would be a lot of work, but if you have links for season highlights, stats, coaches & team pictures, etc you could put hyper-links to those in an on-line version. The chart could end up being the be all for a complete history of TECH football. In fact, if it turned out well, it could become a standard for sports teams' be all history. Yep, I think you need to go get a patent right away before somebody steals this idea and you are out the money it could make for you to contribute to TECH!

I really like what you have done and think it could move to something remarkable!
    WWDog
    La Tech
    Region and hyphen free since 1894!
    Flagship of the University of Louisiana System

Quote Originally Posted by WWDog View Post
    This would be a lot of work, but if you have links for season highlights, stats, coaches & team pictures, etc you could put hyper-links to those in an on-line version. The chart could end up being the be all for a complete history of TECH football. In fact, if it turned out well, it could become a standard for sports teams' be all history. Yep, I think you need to go get a patent right away before somebody steals this idea and you are out the money it could make for you to contribute to TECH!

I really like what you have done and think it could move to something remarkable!
    Thank you! Unfortunately it's difficult to (c) a template like this: I can already claim creation rights on this specific one but if someone wanted to make one for, say, Alabama, I couldn't stop them without significant legal commitment.

That being said...an online version is totally doable (with some work) as this is mostly compiled with the D3.js library (an online dynamic data viz code library).

Also might do one for basketball if this turns out good.

Champ arkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond reputearkansasbob has a reputation beyond repute arkansasbob's Avatar

it's missing the humanitarian bowl loss (hey, can't blame you for trying to forget that)

Quote Originally Posted by arkansasbob View Post
    it's missing the humanitarian bowl loss (hey, can't blame you for trying to forget that)
    Thanks, exactly why I posted, knew there were bound to be some mistakes.

Earlier today I also found out my original dataset doesn't include the 6-0 victory over LSU in Ruston.

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Very nice, data visualization is the best way to process large data, notice the saw-tooth pattern in the w-l bars the since going FBS. Partly due to coaching turnover.

Champ KSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeKSDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Solid stuff! Keep it up.

Champ Cool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond reputeCool Hand Clyde has a reputation beyond repute

Is there an attachment?

Quote Originally Posted by Cool Hand Clyde View Post
    Is there an attachment?
    Should be an inline image. If you cant see it click this link.

+ Reply to Thread