+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: UAB Football Back for 2017

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

UAB Football Back for 2017

http://www.uabsports.com/genrel/072115aaa.html

They will be FBS from day one, no waiting period, and be eligible for post-season; looks like the NCAA was lenient...

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

Re: UAB Football Back for 2017

The NCAA informed UAB that the Blazers’ football program will not be subject to FBS requirements for a period of three academic years, beginning with 2015-16,
    What does this mean?

That they don't have to exist? Or play games?

Or are we talking about scholarship limits for recruiting?

Champ GermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond reputeGermDawg has a reputation beyond repute GermDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    What does this mean?

That they don't have to exist? Or play games?

Or are we talking about scholarship limits for recruiting?
    If they don't meet the minimum FBS requirements they won't be penalized. Notice the grace period starts in 15-16, so they'll this year and next without a team, then in 2017 there last grace year and have to start playing.

Champ LATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond reputeLATechBanjo has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting nugget from the thread on the CUSA board:
    http://csnbbs.com/thread-743134-post...ml#pid12214799

User MUHERD76

Not going to happen. The Sunbelt is not going to survive.

On another note, I have heard some interesting info regarding the Mac. Supposedly behind closed doors there is increasing support from many of the member schools voting to drop down as a group to FCS. Ohio supposedly is not in support of it and is looking to get out if possible. Problem is supposedly they currently dont have the season ticket base/financial support to make a move but are trying to drum up support.

2003 BB&B Basketball Pick 'Em Champion inudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond reputeinudesu has a reputation beyond repute inudesu's Avatar

I doubt that very much.

Message board junk (in a thread full of it).

65's Top 10 Worthless Poster Blue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond reputeBlue Dawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by LATechBanjo View Post
    Interesting nugget from the thread on the CUSA board:
    http://csnbbs.com/thread-743134-post...ml#pid12214799

User MUHERD76

Not going to happen. The Sunbelt is not going to survive.

On another note, I have heard some interesting info regarding the Mac. Supposedly behind closed doors there is increasing support from many of the member schools voting to drop down as a group to FCS. Ohio supposedly is not in support of it and is looking to get out if possible. Problem is supposedly they currently dont have the season ticket base/financial support to make a move but are trying to drum up support.
    I'd believe this for the Sunbelt before the MAC.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inudesu View Post
    I doubt that very much.

Message board junk (in a thread full of it).
    I totally agree with your assessment.
    Good old Memorial Gym

Puppy UABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the rough UABlazin's Avatar

Non-Conference teams will be banging down the door to schedule an FBS team with only 70-something scholarship players in 2017. A year ago at this time my biggest complaint was that we would have to move to C-USA West; now I'm thrilled to play you all every year.

Super Moderator Tech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond reputeTech77 has a reputation beyond repute Tech77's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by UABlazin View Post
    Non-Conference teams will be banging down the door to schedule an FBS team with only 70-something scholarship players in 2017. A year ago at this time my biggest complaint was that we would have to move to C-USA West; now I'm thrilled to play you all every year.
    The good fans and alums of UAB were really done a great disservice in all this. Hopefully, though, it will make people in the area appreciate the football program more and it will be stronger in the long run (after a few years of unnecessary torture).
    Good old Memorial Gym

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tech77 View Post
    The good fans and alums of UAB were really done a great disservice in all this. Hopefully, though, it will make people in the area appreciate the football program more and it will be stronger in the long run (after a few years of unnecessary torture).
    I think we saw an indication of their typical fan base when we played them in football and again when they had to give free tickets to get fans to the MBB tourny.

I don't expect anything different. I believe this whole deal has been a B.B. attempt to appease certain C-USA teams and a favor to C-USA's oldest remaining member other than USM.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

From my understanding, you should have max scholarships when you start back.
    Current - 36 scholarship players remain - not sure how many will be left by the time 2017 arrives.
    2015 (25) - UAB can still sign HS Seniors (Redshirt 2015- lose 2016 - apply for waiver) and JUCOS (sign in December) - The JUCOs can play in 2015 at JUCO - then redshirt 2016.
    2016 (25) - Sign HS SRs & JUCOS - Redshirt 2016 season and be ready for 2017
    2017 (25)

I think the roster will be fine. UAB can still practice for 2015 & 2016 same as everyone, just no games. In 2016 they can hold scrimmages similar to UTSA in 2010

Puppy UABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the roughUABlazin is a jewel in the rough UABlazin's Avatar

Coach says 19 scholarships left for 2015. 25 each next 2 years. There are about a dozen or fewer guys on campus still and only about 3 of those would still have eligibility in 2017. Practice can start as soon as he gets players on campus.

UAB had about 3 of the largest 12 home games in all of C-USA last year. Make any excuses for that you want the fact remains. Bill Clark brought an energy to the program and community that we never had before.

Champ dawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond reputedawg80 has a reputation beyond repute dawg80's Avatar

Well, I for one, am glad UAB has undone the madness and will soon be, again, a full-member of CUSA. UAB needs to do the best it can to put this behind them, move on, and let's all get about the business of making CUSA the best it can be.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

UAB had about 3 of the largest 12 home games in all of C-USA last year.
    So that's why so many showed up for our game at UAB? Y'all don't have attendance battles you have ticket sales battles.

Champ maverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond reputemaverick has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by dawg80 View Post
    Well, I for one, am glad UAB has undone the madness and will soon be, again, a full-member of CUSA. UAB needs to do the best it can to put this behind them, move on, and let's all get about the business of making CUSA the best it can be.
    I had an opportunity to visit with a couple of athletic administrators from UAB and hearing their stories made me more sympathetic for them*. Their president is a real dictator, in more areas than athletics, and has made some asinine decisions.

* being at the tournament last year made me less sympathetic for them though.

+ Reply to Thread