+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tech playoff debate

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Re: Tech playoff debate

Quote Originally Posted by S'PortDawg View Post
    I had an interesting college playoff discussion with my coworkers this week. And since I'm a little tired of reading about Southern and beer drinking preferences, I thought I'd see what y'all thought. My question was if Louisiana Tech does end up running the table and finishing undefeated this year in football, can they make the college playoff final four?

My contention was MSU and KSU would need to be ranked in the top 25 by the end of the year and there would need to be at least one other conference opponent that we beat that finished their season 8-4 or better. Then, I thought with that resume, Tech could sneak in to a 4 spot and jump a 1 loss Big 12 team that has no conference championship.

My coworkers said there was absolutely nothing Tech could do, even if MSU won the SEC championship. Then again, they're SEC hacks.
    . Absolutely not

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

For Tech to be considered for a play off spot we would have to beat Notre Dame, Alabama and Ohio State (and them go undefeated otherwise) as non conference games and then go undefeated in our conference. And even then some would say our schedule was too weak. I am not kidding, folks. So quit dreaming and enjoy what success we do have.

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

If we win out they will at least talk about it and debate it on a national level and that would be huge for us in exposure, recruiting, etc......No way we'd get in the playoff schedule unless there is a perfect storm of two loss teams and we win all ours BIG.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

I think I'm more likely to win a 300 million dollar jackpot than any G5 making it into the playoffs.

Champ Beaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud ofBeaver-Dog has much to be proud of Beaver-Dog's Avatar

We might as well be talking about Tech being invited to the SEC or Big 12.

Champ BlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud ofBlindDog has much to be proud of

I say let's run the table and be setting at 14-0 and let the chips fall as they will!

Champ Dogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond reputeDogsince65 has a reputation beyond repute Dogsince65's Avatar

Ohio State -- Alabama -- Oregan ( fill in the blank of another high profile , big money -TV every week team) They owe TCU for last year fiasco-- Auburn, Fla State, Georgia, ND, USC. I agree with posts saying I want a CUSA title and solid Bowl game reachable by our fan base. 18-19 million athletic budget and we get bang for every buck. We can be very Proud of that as our goal

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

This discussion is perfect for our fans that think we need to keep playing FCS schools. If we were in the $EC, we could schedule 1 to 2 FCS teams, and say VA Tech along with our "brutal $EC schedule, lose 1 or two games & still be in play for the playoff.

In CUSA our OOC schedule needs to look like this:

@Alabama
    Baylor or Boise (neutral site) & Home & away
    BYU or TCU

We must win all of our OOC games, run the table in conference & win the CCG. No guarantees...but we will be in the discussion. The current CUSA is so much weaker than the WAC we participated in. IMO, playing FCS programs might get us an extra home game but is not worth how much it lowers our attendance and hurts our perception.

Champ dawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to beholddawgs1 is a splendid one to behold dawgs1's Avatar

Example:

Illinois was not a good football team last year. But we were not supposed to able to challenge the Illini program athlete per athlete. That was the national perception.

Beating Illinois & playing in the CUSA championship game is what got us votes in the top 25. Perception goes a long way in the national media.

Champ SicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond reputeSicemDawgz has a reputation beyond repute SicemDawgz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dawgs1 View Post
    Example:

Illinois was not a good football team last year. But we were not supposed to able to challenge the Illini program athlete per athlete. That was the national perception.

Beating Illinois & playing in the CUSA championship game is what got us votes in the top 25. Perception goes a long way in the national media.
    I agree, but as your program gets better, it gets harder to schedule those games. No team wants to play you because in their opinion they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Not saying it's impossible, just more difficult.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by SicemDawgz View Post
    I agree, but as your program gets better, it gets harder to schedule those games. No team wants to play you because in their opinion they have everything to lose and nothing to gain. Not saying it's impossible, just more difficult.
    I believe this is the reason we need high buy out contracts. As our program gets better those that scheduled us years ago will want to back out, also.

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I believe this is the reason we need high buy out contracts. As our program gets better those that scheduled us years ago will want to back out, also.
    Agreed!

+ Reply to Thread