+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casey Cathrall new Basketball Strength/Conditioning coach

Champ rabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond reputerabiddawg has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Casey Cathrall new Basketball Strength/Conditioning coach

Todd, you know exactly how many basketball games i have watched over the past few years. You also know the style of ball i watched while in school. You dont have to watch the game to look at our roster and know that 6'6"-6'9" and 200-215 is f___n skinny. Hell we had a brother that was 6'4" 200 (20 pounds of ears) and we thought he was skinny.

I tried to watch the syracuse game last season on tv. Turned it of after seeing our guys bring thd ball down court make two passes and chunk up a 3 that never consistently went in. They did that because we had no inside game.

Nadb, Mike White is a master at scheduling for success.

Champ Dirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond reputeDirtydawg has a reputation beyond repute Dirtydawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rabiddawg View Post
    Todd, you know exactly how many basketball games i have watched over the past few years. You also know the style of ball i watched while in school. You dont have to watch the game to look at our roster and know that 6'6"-6'9" and 200-215 is f___n skinny. Hell we had a brother that was 6'4" 200 (20 pounds of ears) and we thought he was skinny.

I tried to watch the syracuse game last season on tv. Turned it of after seeing our guys bringthd ball down court make two passes and chunk up a 3 that never consistently went in. They did that because we had no inside game.

We played that way because that's what White recruited for. We had guys with size that White could have developed for a perimeter game. He didn't want it that way.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

I tried to watch the syracuse game last season on tv. Turned it of after seeing our guys bring thd ball down court make two passes and chunk up a 3 that never consistently went in. They did that because we had no inside game.

You should watch more basketball. Teams are stocked full of 6'6 200 and 6'9 215 guys. When you can locate some 257 lb shooting guards that are power runners let Konk know.. Although I'm pretty sure MW and Konkol know what they are doing

Champ skilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond reputeskilldawg has a reputation beyond repute skilldawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    You should watch more basketball. Teams are stocked full of 6'6 200 and 6'9 215 guys. When you can locate some 257 lb shooting guards that are power runners let Konk know.. Although I'm pretty sure MW and Konkol know what they are doing
    ... and Syracuse makes everyone play ugly. They are consistently the best defensive team in the Country.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Mike White was a master at scheduling wins, not for success. Big difference. His schedules gave us ZERO margin for error to earn an NCAA at-large bid and nothing to excite fans. White's inability to put together a decent OOC schedule was one of his biggest faults. He was the worst scheduler in all of C-USA.

Champ Dawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond reputeDawg06 has a reputation beyond repute Dawg06's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skilldawg View Post
    ... and Syracuse makes everyone play ugly. They are consistently the best defensive team in the Country.
    And Syracuse had to make a last second shot to beat us.

2006 & 2011 BB&B Men's Bracket Champion (investigation underway) boxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the strength guy is really good. The player I talked to said he increased his bench max by 20 pounds in ONE week.
    Have you considered those Dogs?

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    His schedules gave us ZERO margin for error to earn an NCAA at-large bid and nothing to excite fans.
    The increase in home attendance the last 3 years disagrees with that assessment...

Like it or not, he made Tech basketball relevant again -

Bad draws at the last to conference tourneys derailed us more than anything else - CUSA did NOT protect their number one seed, where as every other conference does come tourney time
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwayne From Minden View Post
    The increase in home attendance the last 3 years disagrees with that assessment...

Like it or not, he made Tech basketball relevant again -

Bad draws at the last to conference tourneys derailed us more than anything else - CUSA did NOT protect their number one seed, where as every other conference does come tourney time
    No, it doesn't. My comment was about White's OOC schedules, and the OOC schedules did not excite fans. In 4 years, the best he could get was ULL. Attendance and atmosphere at our OOC games were poor. Many season ticket holders did not show up for those games, and single game ticket sales for our OOC games had to be really low. There were empty red seats galore for our OOC games. Each year our fans started showing up for conference play. There was a big difference between OOC and C-USA.

My criticism was only aimed at White's OOC schedules, none of that other stuff you mentioned in lines two and three.
    Last edited by Dawg06; 08-18-2015 at 06:45 PM.

Champ Dixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond reputeDixonfor6 has a reputation beyond repute Dixonfor6's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dawg06 View Post
    Mike White was a master at scheduling wins, not for success. Big difference. His schedules gave us ZERO margin for error to earn an NCAA at-large bid and nothing to excite fans. White's inability to put together a decent OOC schedule was one of his biggest faults. He was the worst scheduler in all of C-USA.
    A tougher OOC schedule would have led to 20-12 seasons instead of 27 win seasons. While that may sound like I'm supporting your argument, we wouldn't have sniffed a bubble spot with a tough schedule and a .667 winning % in the conference USA.

Your Twitter account and website are great to follow. I guess that is because you don't let dumbfounded, biased opinions take over like you do on this board.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dixonfor6 View Post
    we wouldn't have sniffed a bubble spot with a tough schedule and a .667 winning % in the conference USA.
    A bubble spot? What is that? We were never close to being on the bubble due to our RPI which was due to weak skeds. Losses against good teams don't hurt RPI as much as wins against bad teams.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    A bubble spot? What is that? We were never close to being on the bubble due to our RPI which was due to weak skeds. Losses against good teams don't hurt RPI as much as wins against bad teams.
    We were closer than a lot of y'all realize...

I would of liked the schedule tweaked some last year, but at most two games - blowing the 16pt second half lead at NCSt and the loss to USL hurt much more than any win against Southern or other sub 150 rpi squad

The year before it was the loss to a sub 200 rpi ECU squad and the loss at home to USL that hurt the most

You can't lose to those type of teams and not get the knock out punch against an ACC school on the road when you have them down on the floor about to step on their neck

I want home games - a minimum of 15 home games each year, preferably 16 or 17 home games

And if it means taking who we can get so be it - we are always going to get 3 or 4 real good teams on the road that gives us a chance to make our bones

Wins and conference championships build programs, not a 150 rpi SOS and 20 to 21 wins with 12 losses

We are relevant again in basketball and that is SOLELY due to MW and his 4 years here and what he accomplished on those 4 years

And Eric Konkol has a much better base and program and facilities to continue to build on solely because of that

Keith Richard NEVER have $115k to spend on guarantee games, MW barely had $40k to spend on guarantee games

Rupp was a joke from the get go so I'm leaving him out of the equation

Considering what we spend on basketball with our peer schools in CUSA, we are making SERIOUS bank

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

I don't claim to know nearly as much as some of you MBB guys, but I do recall that the past two years involved wins and losses to teams that hurt our RPI. RC and '06 both calculated where we would be if...in RPI and I don't recall reading, hearing here, or anywhere that we were "on the bubble" due to number of wins.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    I don't claim to know nearly as much as some of you MBB guys, but I do recall that the past two years involved wins and losses to teams that hurt our RPI. RC and '06 both calculated where we would be if...in RPI and I don't recall reading, hearing here, or anywhere that we were "on the bubble" due to number of wins.
    Number of wins doesn't effect rpi calculation per-se, but it does build confidence and excitement both in the team and fan base

Remove 5 wins a year the last two years and replace them with loses and I don't think the team wins regular season titles or goes out and defeats SEC and ACC teams on the road in the postseason

You just can't look at "who" without considering the "why" and "what if" in all scenarios

In the "perfect" world our SOS would hover around 150 rpi or lower and we could play home and homes with stronger rpi teams OOC and not have to travel to SLC teams and SWAC teams as part of OOC schedules, but we are NOT THERE yet

And we weren't there in the mid 80's to early 90's - look at the schedules for a legit top 30 team over a 5 year period - it's DAMN hard to get the schools to Ruston then and its even tougher now -

The only argument I buy is the OOC tourney, MW could have been more selective in that regard because we could of manipulated that path much better - but that is only at a max 3 neutral site games (sometimes 2)

I think Konkol will improve that - he wants a good OOC tourney each year, but the home OOC schedule MIGHT improve slightly on the fact we will be BUYING the (2) lesser games now than in the past but we will not see 150 rpi or lower as part of the OOC schedule on a regular basis at the TAC

+ Reply to Thread