+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Duck Season 2015-2016

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

Duck Season 2015-2016

Saw several flocks of teal early Monday AM on Lake Claiborne.
    “Towie Barclay of the Glen, Happy to the maids, But never to the men.”

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Re: Duck Season 2015-2016

too early - but I don't teal hunt.

I'll check in when November gets here.

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

ole red dog is getting ready. not sure she'll be ready for the duck hole we have but def gonna try her on the creek and beaver pond
    Attached Images Attached Images

Champ marketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond reputemarketdawg has a reputation beyond repute marketdawg's Avatar

phorn.jpgphorn2.jpg Not a duck but there isn't a speed goat thread. A truly incredible stalk, hunt experience on the high plains of New Mexico!

dove1.jpgdove2.jpg Dove hunting was epic as well...way better than when we used to go to Mexico. It was awesome...

Champ faninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond reputefaninmonroe has a reputation beyond repute faninmonroe's Avatar

Is that a 391?

391 Light 20. Got invited back for quail/duck this fall so I'm gonna carry it on the high plains again. I saw probably 100 coveys, give or take, and each covey had 20+ birds in it...scaled quail with some bobs mixed in. They were huddled around the cattle at the water holes like blackbirds and dusting in the driveway of the ranch house . Rancher said it was the most he's seen in the past 30 years due to the wet summer and the prolific wild sunflowers and cover provided by the tall grass that grew. We literally ran a few over on accident in the truck. The wild sunflowers were literally growing for miles in all directions. Made the antelope harder to spot and hunt. The ranch is in excess of 126,000 acres. I asked the rancher if the sunflowers grew like this normally and he; at 70 years old, said he'd never seen anything like it. The doves were numbering in the thousands at the water tanks.sunflowers.jpg

very nice - I need to get out of Louisiana and hunt - I don't think I have ever hunted outside the state....what a mistake now I think about it. Hunted right on the Ark/La line but that is north Ruston according to UL-L girls.

391 may be the very best shotguns ever made

my A400 cant hold the 391 jock strap

Champ Choudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond reputeChoudawg86 has a reputation beyond repute Choudawg86's Avatar

That was a GREAT trip Ross, one day, when I grow up, maybe

I had a couple of health scares lately; one being West Nile, and I decided I was going to stop saying "No" to all of the out of town invites for hunting...took my cousin up on a goose hunt invite out on the Texas plains this November with my dad and brother as well.

Champ tenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond reputetenacious_dog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by marketdawg View Post
    391 Light 20. Got invited back for quail/duck this fall so I'm gonna carry it on the high plains again. I saw probably 100 coveys, give or take, and each covey had 20+ birds in it...scaled quail with some bobs mixed in. They were huddled around the cattle at the water holes like blackbirds and dusting in the driveway of the ranch house . Rancher said it was the most he's seen in the past 30 years due to the wet summer and the prolific wild sunflowers and cover provided by the tall grass that grew. We literally ran a few over on accident in the truck. The wild sunflowers were literally growing for miles in all directions. Made the antelope harder to spot and hunt. The ranch is in excess of 126,000 acres. I asked the rancher if the sunflowers grew like this normally and he; at 70 years old, said he'd never seen anything like it. The doves were numbering in the thousands at the water tanks.Attachment 13065
    I had a couple of health scares lately; one being West Nile, and I decided I was going to stop saying "No" to all of the out of town invites for hunting...took my cousin up on a goose hunt invite out on the Texas plains this November with my dad and brother as well.
    That's an amazing picture!

Glad you're past the health issues. Had to have been an incredible hunting trip. Good for you!

friend of mine made a Canadian (smaller variety) hunt a couple years ago up in the panhandle. said it was quite an experience. My son BADLY wants to make that very hunt. Prob gonna wait till he can handle a 12ga though.

Man...that west nile is not something to play with.....hope you get back to full swing. I love those pics - and that 391. These new 400s cant hang with the 391. I have a 400 that has been back to Beretta twice now....

Choudawg86 - A 20 gauge youth affinity is a fine shotgun and is very nice in the blind....my oldest son does very well with it...and it will reach up there and pop geese no problem.

It looks like the BWT have made their way to north Louisiana. I doubt I go after them.....I hate snakes....with a passion.

I shoot geese with my 20 as well with no problem.

Teal Season...The Beginning of Another Year Outdoors
    The clay and gravel road crunches and pops under truck tires as the headlights pass over fleeting wildlife. North Louisiana at 5:30 AM in September is uncharacteristically brisk with a heavy cool front having moved through the day before. One of the men remarks that they can actually see their breath in the cool morning air. Four wheelers; long too dormant, cough and reluctantly sputter to life as men and boy load decoys and gear and putter out through the wetland.
    Decoys are set out...stools placed in the brush...and guns are enthusiastically loaded. It's light enough now to click off the headlamps and watch the night fade and the day slowly begin. Shorebirds and other swamp creatures begin to stir. A cigar is sparked and there is no talk as the anticipation builds towards legal shooting hours. It's time now and some ducks arrive..wood ducks flutter and skate into the decoys. They're safe; for now, and are mind-mindbogglingly beautiful pictures swimming yards from the hidden hunters.
    Teal burst seemingly from nowhere and everywhere in an instant- heroically blasting into the decoys. As the hunters rise to intercept the streaking balls of feathers the birds simultaneously erupt into a zig-zagging, fireworks-like escape pattern. A trio of light 20 gauges bark optimistically into a cool September sky. It happens like this for a few tries.
    A boy triumphantly trudges out through the thick mud. Slightly over-sized wader boots unsuccessfully protesting and sticking in the mud with every step. The boy leans over and plucks a small duck from the decoy spread. It's his first. Two grown men...friends for a long time...stare and smile.
    One of the men is wondering if the other, the father of the boy, is thinking about the same thing...his first duck. To try to explain it... I simply can't put into words what it means. To try to put it into words would simply be lessening something special. It would be like trying to describe the 1st time your dad let go of the bike with no training wheels and you realized that you have done it... or trying to tell somebody how you felt during your 1st kiss...or the 1st time you met a young woman and realized she should be your wife.
    Another season has begun with a very special moment. It makes a man realize what a great place God has created and filled with beautiful creatures, plants and light and life. All days are special for one reason or another and this one was punctuated with a crisp, gorgeous sunrise and a very splendorous moment..and one man is necessarily thankful and humbled by it all.
    Last edited by marketdawg; 09-13-2015 at 11:14 AM.

+ Reply to Thread