+ Reply to Thread
Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 74755565758 LastLast

Thread: 9/19 La Tech vs K-State Game Thread

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Re: My first post. decline the penalty

Yes, that's why it's a controversial decision. But the odds were in our favor pushing them back to 3rd and 16 with an assumed longer FG or forcing them to make an unlikely play (for that offense). If it's WKU, and they have scored 40 points in the game and you haven't come close to making a play on the ball, you definitely decline the penalty and gladly give them just the 3 points. (but WKU is probably more likely to go for the 4th and short than KSU, so it's still a tough call).

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

T1, can't it be as simple as:
    The defense-first team holding offense to a FG attempt in overtime -- especially 3rd OT with additional challenges -- is a successful defensive series? That really is a series win in most football strategists (and fans) minds.

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gabzooks View Post
    The defense-first team holding offense to a FG attempt in overtime -- especially 3rd OT with additional challenges -- is a successful defensive series? That really is a series win in most football strategists (and fans) minds unless you have a crush on the HC and believe everything he does is wonderful.
    Fixed in bold.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

The defense-first team holding offense to a FG attempt in overtime -- especially 3rd OT with additional challenges -- is a successful defensive series? That really is a series win in most football strategists (and fans) minds.
    Yes, that's the simple way to look at it. But you have to consider everything when making that decision.

1. How confident were we that we would score a TD if we conceded the FG? Probably not very confident... pretty good Defense we are up against.
    2. How confident were we that we could answer their FG with our own FG? We missed an easy one today, but did kick 3 good ones, including the one that forced OT. Seems likely we could tie the game.
    3. How experienced is the QB we are putting the pressure on? He's a Senior, but this is only his 2nd career start and his first OT game. We like our chances.
    4. Do they have a go-to receiver that we haven't been able to cover today? No.
    5. Has the QB been passing well today? 14 completions. 4 over 16 yards up to that point. Not exactly lighting it up.
    6. Do they have a RB who can break a big one? No.

I think we can all agree that 9 times out of 10, Holtz will err on the side of being too conservative (like the punt with 1:52 remaining). I don't think this was some kind of bone-headed obvious rule he broke in this situation like some are making it out to be. I still like our chances if we don't let a receiver run free down the middle of the field for an easy TD.

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    Fixed in bold.
    The punt was the dumb call, imo. How's that?

Big Dog gabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud ofgabzooks has much to be proud of

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Yes, that's the simple way to look at it. But you have to consider everything when making that decision.

1. How confident were we that we would score a TD if we conceded the FG? Probably not very confident... pretty good Defense we are up against.
    Why? We had proven we could score a TD on them in first session. No reason to be unconfident. I sure wasn't. Sure the players weren't. Be ashamed if the head coach was.

Plus, any given team more than likely will need a TD (not merely a FG) to win a game in OT.

So: Hold team to FG. Defense wins. Check. Now ball in our court to score TD and win. Check. Hence the advantage of defense-first in OT

We had proven we could score a TD on them in first session. No reason to be unconfident. I sure wasn't. Sure the players weren't. Be ashamed is head coach was.

Plus, any given team more than likely will need a TD to win a game in OT.

So: Hold team to FG. Defense wins. Check. Now ball in our court to score TD and win. Check. Hence the advantage of defense-first in OT

We still got the ball and had a chance to win the game since they missed on their 2 point conversion. If we conceded the FG, we would have had to try a FG to tie in the 3rd OT.

We still got the ball and had a chance to win the game since they missed on their 2 point conversion. If we conceded the FG, we would have had to try a FG to tie in the 3rd OT.
    Actually, we'd be conceding a FG attempt, not a FG make.

Actually, we'd be conceding a FG attempt, not a FG make.
    Correct.... from the 16 yard line.

Correct.... from the 16 yard line.
    Which deserves a big high five, rounds of applause, hoops and hollers, and a hearty slap on the rump to all our defenders as they exit the field to give way to our special team D!

Which deserves a big high five, rounds of applause, hoops and hollers, and a hearty slap on the rump to all our defenders as they exit the field to give way to our special team D!
    Yep, they did a good job there. They did a nice job on the 2 point conversion attempt as well.

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

I bet the decision is different given a similar situation going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by techman05 View Post
    I bet the decision is different given a similar situation going forward.
    It should definitely have an affect since he is now 0-2 on this call at Tech. Even if his gut tells him to do it, I bet he won't. And we will probably still lose.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Docman5 View Post
    Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20.
    That's what losers say. Some of us were smart enough to see this BEFORE the final KSU offensive play.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Yep. Suppose we sack the QB for another 7 yard loss and they are facing 4th and 23 (instead of conceding the FG to them). We weren't going for the sack, but we did pressure the QB with just a 3 man rush. We probably still would have given up the TD on the 4th and 23 play and that's the bigger issue to me.
    Good god. Are you for real?

+ Reply to Thread