+ Reply to Thread
Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 848565758

Thread: 9/19 La Tech vs K-State Game Thread

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Re: My first post. decline the penalty

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Yes, that's why it's a controversial decision. But the odds were in our favor pushing them back to 3rd and 16 with an assumed longer FG or forcing them to make an unlikely play (for that offense). If it's WKU, and they have scored 40 points in the game and you haven't come close to making a play on the ball, you definitely decline the penalty and gladly give them just the 3 points. (but WKU is probably more likely to go for the 4th and short than KSU, so it's still a tough call).
    No. Let me state this one last time, very clearly, for those of you who's river doesn't run very deep: By accepting the penalty, Holtz put our team in the POSITION TO LOSE the game, because he gave the KSU offense another free play. If he had DENIED the penalty, there's almost no way LA Tech loses, because all we needed was a FG to tie, and Tech would have had a chance to WIN the game with a TD vs their FG (which they would have kicked on 4th down and 3).

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Remember T!, the strategy in football OT is to force the competition to kick a FG, so that you can beat them with a TD. We had succeeded with the winning strategy --had 'em in 4th down and 3-- but Holtz gave it away.

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Re: 9/19 La Tech vs K-State Game Thread

Was it 4th and 1 or 4th and 3? I've seen both.

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

Re: 9/19 La Tech vs K-State Game Thread

It was 3rd and a long 1. Then we stuffed the wildcat QB/RB for a 1.5 yard loss. It would have been 4th and almost 3 had we declined the penalty and almost certainly forced them to attempt a FG.

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    I have to agree with Germdawg. Back them up 15 yards. Result was a combination of a fluke and bad call.
    I think those were two separate plays. The OB in the back of the EZ was the 1st OT and the winning KState TD was the 3rd OT when the receiver was wide open in the middle of the field at the goal line. That is if I remember correctly

Champ stodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond reputestodgdog has a reputation beyond repute

The call that had me pissed off was the punt on 4th and 4 with 1:52 left in the game. I can't believe there isn't more outrage over that. We were down 3 points, but we did have 3 timeouts left. If KSU would have gotten 1 first down, the game was over.
    And if we hadn't made the 1st down the game would have been over. KState has a very good defense and, by your argument, a very poor offense. It was a gamble either way with a 6 as the up card.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    Remember T!, the strategy in football OT is to force the competition to kick a FG, so that you can beat them with a TD. We had succeeded with the winning strategy --had 'em in 4th down and 3-- but Holtz gave it away.
    Holtz said he didn't want to concede the 3 points on the short FG and wanted the chance to hold them to zero points. A 33 yard FG is pretty easy, but a 48 yarder is not a gimmee. I'm just repeating myself, so I'm done. On to FIU.

Holtz said he didn't want to concede the 3 points on the short FG and wanted the chance to hold them to zero points. A 33 yard FG is pretty easy, but a 48 yarder is not a gimmee. I'm just repeating myself, so I'm done. On to FIU.
    And that's where Holtz made his mistake. He got greedy, and made a bad decision.

+ Reply to Thread