+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams again

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Special Teams again

Quote Originally Posted by T1 View Post
    Actually 31 pts by their offense, but your point is valid... we have to do something different... that is too easy for an offense.
    Wait, I'm helping my kid with Common Core Math. So.....31 can be 45, if we can justify it (or, their other favorite tactics: rounding and estimating)

Champ DJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond reputeDJDAWG has a reputation beyond repute

Actually, though, we're not doing Common Core in Plano. We care about our kid's education way way too much! My kid's fifth grade math teacher is great and we're doing long multiplication and division (with decimals) and LCM and GCD and fractions and simple algebraic equations. Her math project/homework (assigned by the teacher) is working on Khan Academy's fifth and sixth grade math levels...how great is that!!!!

2004 and 2010-2011 BB&B Pick 'Em Contest Champion DogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond reputeDogsWin has a reputation beyond repute DogsWin's Avatar

I don't think we quit being agressive as much as Diaz made some adjustments to what we were doing on the first 3 drives. The real problem was 4 of 15 in 3rd down conversions.... ouch!
    We ABSOLUTELY did, watch the replay again. Holtz started dragging out the time to signal in the play so that we could "run down the play clock". When we played fast (got the plays in quickly, lined up, and executed...) we were very successful and very confident. When we went to 'slowdown mode' we barely got plays off in time and seemed out of sync and unconfident.

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by DogsWin View Post
    We ABSOLUTELY did, watch the replay again. Holtz started dragging out the time to signal in the play so that we could "run down the play clock". When we played fast (got the plays in quickly, lined up, and executed...) we were very successful and very confident. When we went to 'slowdown mode' we barely got plays off in time and seemed out of sync and unconfident.
    I don't have access to the replay right now, but I will check that out when I get a chance. I didn't notice that during the game.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

I don't have access to the replay right now, but I will check that out when I get a chance. I didn't notice that during the game.
    DW is onto something. There's no denying something changed. We went from fluid to awkward in a single series. We certainly took our foot off the throttle. And for no apparent reason.

Varsity Bulldog BulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of lightBulldawgMom is a glorious beacon of light

The other Dawgs also are talking about a change at the 14-0 mark. Here's how they saw it.

https://hailstatebeat.wordpress.com/...win-over-tech/

Champ T1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond reputeT1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    DW is onto something. There's no denying something changed. We went from fluid to awkward in a single series. We certainly took our foot off the throttle. And for no apparent reason.
    Trying to remember without access to the replay... We went up 14-0 and it really looked like we were going to blow them out. There was talk of firing Diaz by the MSU fans at that point.

Then msu had a very quick drive and made it look really easy... 14-7. I think we punted and they put together another nice drive, but Nick hammered the te in the end zone and we held them to 3. 14-10. (So we are 2 for 3 so far). Then we drive again and kick a fg 17-10 (3 for 4). They answer with a TD to tie it 17-17 with about 2 minutes until half. We started at the 10 with 2 minutes left until half and couldn't pick up a first down and the punt was blocked. So the offense did really well in the first half, imo... 3 scores on 5 drives.

It must be 2nd half when we changed the offense. We only scored 3 pts in the 2nd half and they got 14 from their offense (and 7 on the pick 6). The only play that really sticks out to me in 2nd half was the roughing the punter. We had cut it to 31-20, and were going to get good field position and possibly cut it to 31-27, but they drove 99 yards and put the game out of reach at 38-20...then the pick 6 happened and we put our backups in the rest of the way.

I need to re-watch the 2nd half offense to see what changed... I don't remember throwing to Craft in the 2nd. I do remember more run plays that all seemed to get stuffed at the line. I do remember not being able to convert several 3rd and shorts. I don't remember anyone making a good play in the 2nd half... no running game, no big catches, no scrambles by Driskel, nothing. Maybe Diaz made some adjustments at halftime?

Oh yeah, Boston Scott had some good runs in the 2nd half, but that was about it.

Champ ChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond reputeChipDog has a reputation beyond repute ChipDog's Avatar

Trying to remember without access to the replay... We went up 14-0 and it really looked like we were going to blow them out. There was talk of firing Diaz by the MSU fans at that point.

Then msu had a very quick drive and made it look really easy... 14-7. I think we punted and they put together another nice drive, but Nick hammered the te in the end zone and we held them to 3. 14-10. (So we are 2 for 3 so far). Then we drive again and kick a fg 17-10 (3 for 4). They answer with a TD to tie it 17-17 with about 2 minutes until half. We started at the 10 with 2 minutes left until half and couldn't pick up a first down and the punt was blocked. So the offense did really well in the first half, imo... 3 scores on 5 drives.

It must be 2nd half when we changed the offense. We only scored 3 pts in the 2nd half and they got 14 from their offense (and 7 on the pick 6). The only play that really sticks out to me in 2nd half was the roughing the punter. We had cut it to 31-20, and were going to get good field position and possibly cut it to 31-27, but they drove 99 yards and put the game out of reach at 38-20...then the pick 6 happened and we put our backups in the rest of the way.

I need to re-watch the 2nd half offense to see what changed... I don't remember throwing to Craft in the 2nd. I do remember more run plays that all seemed to get stuffed at the line. I do remember not being able to convert several 3rd and shorts. I don't remember anyone making a good play in the 2nd half... no running game, no big catches, no scrambles by Driskel, nothing. Maybe Diaz made some adjustments at halftime?
    I may have given the idea that I thought it happened immediately after our first 14 points, but my intent was to say that when it happened it was obvious, quick and apparently intentional

Quote Originally Posted by ChipDog View Post
    I may have given the idea that I thought it happened immediately after our first 14 points, but my intent was to say that when it happened it was obvious, quick and apparently intentional
    It must have been after our 2nd drive of the 2nd half. These were our first 2 drives:

18 yards, 2:34, punt
    65 yards, 4:11, fg

Then the last 3 drives:

19 yards, 2:40, punt
    41 yards, 4:17, pick 6. (Game was over here).
    22 yards, 2:57, punt

Subs had anther drive, but it was just to run the clock out.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

TECH still has the same problem......THEY CANNOT FINISH!!! Great start ....then....doggie doo!!!!

Champ techman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond reputetechman05 has a reputation beyond repute

in the stadium, it was obvious that the plan changed. We switched to protecting a lead(which we can't do) instead of extending the lead(which we may be able to do, but haven't seen this year). It has been said over and over that tempo and scheme are the equalizers for G5's playing many P5's. We looked great for 10 minutes. At that point, I looked at my cousin and said,"just don't let off the gas!" I would have guessed that MSU was going to figure some things out and put up points. But I thought the final might be 41-38 and either team could have won it. Oh well.

Puppy DangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really niceDangDawg is just really nice

I agree our returns on kickoffs are terrible. Let Martin get some action, any kind of action. He's produced big time every time he gets the chance. Our kicking game is still better than it was especially in the field goal kicking. It's apparent Barnes can actually kick it in the end zone just not too often. Even there he's making progress. As far as the punting team is concerned, I watched the replay of the blocked punt several times and our blocking on the right side was pathetic. The guy that blocked the punt didn't have as much as a finger laid on him. Shouse had 3 punts in the game. I just checked the stats to make sure because I thought he did a great job. He had a 55 yard punt that went out on the 1, a 40 yard punt angled to the sideline with no return and a 48 yard punt with just a few yards on the return. His avg for the game was 47.7. That's pretty damn good if you ask me. Our problems on special teams seem to be way more about blocking schemes and assignments than personnel.

Champ 70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute70TECHGRAD has a reputation beyond repute 70TECHGRAD's Avatar

Good observation, DangDawg...green for you.

Administrator Dwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond reputeDwayne From Minden has a reputation beyond repute Dwayne From Minden's Avatar
    The Southwest Side of Beautiful Lake Claiborne

Witnessing it in person, our special teams were anything but special...

Now they were - SPECIAL - in a "bless their poor pea-pickin hearts" type of way -
    ''Don't be a bad dagh..."

+ Reply to Thread