+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Week 8 C-USA Schedule

Champ rockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond reputerockdog has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Week 8 C-USA Schedule

Quote Originally Posted by Houston Techsan View Post
    We shouldn't be throwing stones. We beat Southern, ULL, FIU, UTSA and MTSU. What are their combined records?
    a salty 12-18

Champ Houston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond reputeHouston Techsan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    a salty 12-18
    Thanks. That's about what I thought. Too lazy to look them all up.

Moderator & 2008 NFL Survivor Contest Champion sportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond reputesportdawg has a reputation beyond repute sportdawg's Avatar

The Record of WKU's opponents they beat: 16-29. These stats don't mean much. They beat the teams they should have beat.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rockdog View Post
    a salty 12-18
    14-22

Here's each team's records:

Southern 4-3
    FIU 4-4
    ULL 2-4
    UTSA 1-6
    MTSU 3-5

TOTAL = 14-22

14-22 may not be pretty, but it's almost 3 times as good as USM's opponents (5-30).

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    14-22

Here's each team's records:

Southern 4-3
    FIU 4-4
    ULL 2-4
    UTSA 1-6
    MTSU 3-5

TOTAL = 14-22

14-22 may not be pretty, but it's almost 3 times as good as USM's opponents (5-30).
    HD, I dare you to got back and get HCSH's sound bites before each game. He is the best "coach speaker" I've every heard.

Hunter Lee's Hero HogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond reputeHogDawg has a reputation beyond repute HogDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maddawg View Post
    HD, I dare you to got back and get HCSH's sound bites before each game. He is the best "coach speaker" I've every heard.
    ....that's because he grew up in the same house with that "BS coach speak" father of his.....

Super Moderator PawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond reputePawDawg has a reputation beyond repute PawDawg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HogDawg View Post
    ....that's because he grew up in the same house with that "BS coach speak" father of his.....
    For Middle: It will be a challenge for us, since we just gave up 300 yards passing to an SEC team. This is a team you certainly do not take lightly. You can look at their record and say they are 3-4. They have lost to Alabama, Illinois by two, Vanderbilt by four and they are probably two plays away from being 5-2. This is going to be a great challenge for us. It all starts with their offense. They are putting up a lot of points.”

For UTSA: “Even though they are a 1-4 football team, they have lost to four top 20 teams,” Louisiana Tech head coach Skip Holtz said of UTSA. “I think this is one of the better defenses that we have played. Watching the film, they have some great players. They are big and physical. They run a scheme similar to Kansas State. I think they have three preseason all-conference players on the defensive side of the ball.”

For UL-L : "Offensively, they are running the football very well," Holtz said. "They have three returning starters up front on the offensive line. They are big and physical and they maul you. I really like Elijah McGuire. I liked him as a freshman. He was the [Sun Belt] Player of the Year last year and a preseason all-conference player this year. He is very deserving of his billing. When he gets the ball under his arm, he is exciting."

Yep, it's pretty much the same schtick every week.

For FIU (he never took a breath ) : "We play FIU this weekend and I think coach [Ron] Turner does a great job. It is pretty obvious his handprint is starting to show on that program. He has been there a couple of years and has had the opportunity to recruit some players. It is certainly a different football team than we went and played two years ago."

"They are building it with defense. They were a top three defense in our conference a year ago. They return seven starters on the defensive side of the ball. They are very athletic. If you look at our all-conference team, especially on the defensive side of the ball, is made up largely of FIU football players. They have some tremendous talent. Their defensive line is one of the strengths. On their defensive line, they have two ends in [Denzell] Perine and [Michael] Wakefield. Those guys can flat out play. They can rush the passer and get after you. They are very athletic for a front. Their linebackers are very active. They blitz a lot more than Kansas State did. They are a lot more active with their linebackers. I think they have one of the better defensive players in the league in [Richard] Leonard. He is their kick returner and punt returner. He is up for defensive player of the year. He is a preseason all-conference player. They have a lot of talent on that football team. Their structure is similar to what we played last week, but they are much more aggressive. They have some great individual players and are well coached. They play hard. They are very physical and athletic which is what you would expect from a Florida football team."
    "On offense, Steve Shankweiler is their offensive coordinator. Steve and I were together for eight years. Before I was here, we were together at East Carolina and at South Florida. He was the offensive line coach. He is a really good football coach and a good fundamental coach. He knows football. I have sat in meetings with him for the past eight years. I have an awful lot of respect for him and the job he is doing. They have put a really solid offensive football team together. I think they have a really good quarterback. I recruited him out of high school when I was at South Florida. He is very athletic and can run. He has a strong arm. He is really the guy that makes the wheels on the bus go round on the offensive side of the ball. Their offensive line is very athletic, probably the most athletic offensive line we have seen. They are going to run a lot of zone schemes at you. They are very quick up front. They are not a power football team as much as they are athletic. Their running backs are by committee. They have great feet and athleticism. They get behind that athletic line and find gaps. They have a tight end that has caught a pass in 27 consecutive games. He is an all-conference player. He gives them flexibility to do a lot of different things. He will line up as a tight end, wide receiver or running back in the backfield. They are very multiple. They have a wide receiver that had nine catches and 166 yards against Indiana. [Thomas] Owens, he is big and athletic. He is really a difference maker and is their leading receiver."
    "Their defensive back [Leonard] is their kick returner and their punt returner. They are averaging 42 yards a punt and their kicker is back as an all-conference player. They are number one in defense right now. They are giving up 315 yards a game right now. I think they are No. 20 in the country in total defense. They are 2-1 and beat Central Florida at Central Florida in a big rivalry game. They lose to Indiana and the score looked lopsided but it was an evenly played game. That is the same Indiana that beat Western Kentucky, 39-36, this weekend. It is going to be a great game. I like the way this football team grew up this week. I like the improvements we made from week two to week three. We are a work in progress right now. We have to keep improving and gaining experience. We are excited to be back at home with the Davison Athletics Complex and the Red Out atmosphere."

And Southern: On kicking off the season at home vs. Southern:
    “Southern is a very successful program. We are looking forward to the opportunity to play an in-state game. I think the stands will show the interest and excitement in the state and a geographical rivalry. I have great respect for the program. I have known Coach (Dawson) Odums for a long time. I think he is a fantastic football coach and brings a lot things to that program. He has brought discipline, toughness and athleticism and it is showing on the field. We are talking about a team that has been very successful. They won seven of their last eight last year. They score a lot of points. They are very explosive offensively. They are tough and physical. I think it will be a great challenge for us in the opener. They have played for a couple of SWAC Championships over the past few years. I think coach Odums is building something special down there.”

“Offensively, they are very balanced. They return nine starters on the offensive side of the ball. They have the freshman conference player of the year at quarterback. He threw 17 touchdowns to just eight interceptions last year. He showed an awful lot of maturity. They return four out of five offensive linemen. They have a lot of experience. They have a 1,000-yard rusher coming back. They have an explosive wide receiver that had over 60 catches and around 800 yards. You will be able to see the difference he also makes on special teams.”
    “On the defensive side of the ball, they are very pressure oriented. They are very similar to us. That is one reason they led the conference in sacks and turnovers. They are not a defense that sits back and lets things happen. They are very pressure oriented. They create a lot of turnovers. Their middle linebacker is very active and had over 100 tackles last season. Their two safeties really flash.”
    "One area that concerns me is their special teams because it is very hard to simulate. They have a kick returner in Willie Quinn. He averaged 22 yards per punt return, which is absolutely unheard of. Those are video game numbers. He is not very big but is very explosive and elusive. It is very hard to simulate that open space. That will be a great challenge for us. They have a senior kicker who handled field goals, kickoffs and may even take over punting duties. I think they are very talented. They have led the FCS in touchdown scores and blocked kicks. They are very talented. I would use the word respect. The respect I have for the athletes they have and Coach Odums cannot be understated. It is going to create a challenge for us, one we are looking forward to and will give us a good evaluation of where we are as a football team.”

+ Reply to Thread